shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposing this weekend... Need contingency plan assistance... PLEASE.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NewlyEngaged

Shiny_Rock
Hello again. Hope I am not being too annoying. I''m stressed more than I expected with this proposal thing. My gf and I are going to be in Manhattan this weekend for a wedding (arrive on the 8th and leave on the 10th). I am planning to propose on the 10th (I refuse to do at the wedding or before the wedding as it will take away from the bride and grooms day, Sunday we will be alone and have to ourselves).

I have reservations for a Gondola ride in Central Park. Yes, they have them there. Anyways, this is something that will work great if the weather is nice. However, I just checked weather.com and as of now, there is a chance of rain everyday from now through the weekend! That said, the Gondola ride will NOT work if it is raining. I am trying to come up with some other unique plans as a fallback. I am only doing this once, so I want it to be perfect. I am very confident my gf is not expecting it this weekend (that''s part of the reason I chose it). I want something relatively unique, but also something rather private as she has indicated she would not enjoy being made a spectacle of (i.e. in center of a restaurant, etc).

I''ve never been to NY (we live in Chicago). I thought of a Helicopter ride, but first, it would be loud, and second, there would be 4 other strangers with us. Thought of a horse and buggy ride (works even in the rain), but that is not as unique maybe? Maybe I am over analyzing this. The closer and closer I get to this weekend, the more excited and nervous I become. Any and all suggestions, comments, insults are welcome. THANKS in advance for the help.
love.gif
wavey.gif

jds

Rough_Rock
Dude, chill out!

She'll appreciate anything romantic. I'm actually planning on proposing in my apartment b/c I know she wants something private, I'm an amazing cook and I'm whipping up something grand that night, and after the proposal, she can jump my bones all she wants b/c we're in my apt! And knowing my girfriend she probably will.

But I hear your anguish, and being a NYer, allow me to suggest a few things. Does she like art? If it's raining take her the the Metropolitan and propose in front of a beautiful painting. She WILL remember that. Take her to the Museum of Natural History, lots of dark, hidey places there where you can propose. It's a very sentimental place for us NYers and both of you will have a blast.

If you can afford it, book a night in a deluxe Manhattan hotel, pamper her all night, and propose in the hotel room. Have champagne and flowers at the ready. You may just have the best sex of your life afterwards.

Good luck my man, whoever and wherever you are.

merg

Rough_Rock
I think the buggy ride is a great backup plan. After all it is a backup plan so it doesn't have to be as grand as your first plan. You can always double up with something like buggy ride + museum. Or buggy ride + top of empire state building. (granted it's not private, but you get the idea.)

That said maybe you can give me a bit of advice.

My gf and I are going to be in Chi-town in November. I'm thinking of proposing then, since travel is something we both love. Also, we both swing dance, which is why we are going to Chicago for a big swing dance festival. i'm considering proposing at the dance (very public, middle of the floor, live band playing a slow song afterward.) However, I'm still considering other options (top of Sears tower, art museum.) Do you have other suggestions? I'm reasonablly familiar with Chicago from visiting relatives there, but not sure where else would be a good spot. Oh, just thought of this, but from the top of the faris (sp) wheel at Navy Pier.

Anyway suggestions welcome,

~andrew

drnw04a

Rough_Rock
In Chicago also consider the Signature Room at the top of the Hancock bldg (cliche but a can't beat view). If the weather's nice enough to be outside, consider the Conservatory near the Lincoln Park zoo entrance. It's a flower garden several hundred yards long surrounded by tree-lined streets. There are also some bridges over the lagoons in the park and zoo that have some spectacular skyline views. As an alternative to the art musuem, you might also want to look at the part of the musuem campus where the aquarium and planetarium are located. It juts out into the lake and has an amazing view back towards the loop.

Hope that helps. I live in Chicago, but don't think I can use any of those b/c my gf's expecting a proposal sometime soon. I'm gonna have to find the right 'regular' moment that'll combine some romance and will really be a surprise.

NewlyEngaged

Shiny_Rock
Hey... Just wandered into this forum again to see what posts people have had and noticed my old post still up here and read your comments. I proposed on August 10th and my anxiety was for naught as it went off perfectly.
appl.gif

Anyway... Chicago in November 'eh? Well, lately the weather has been wonderful for this time of year. But I don't expect that to last however.
8.gif

The only problem with a tall building plan is that if the weather os bad, you have no view (i.e.: too many clouds, etc), so that may work if it is nice out that day. If not, I would stick to ground level perhaps. You could go to the Shedd Aquarium, which is great and they have a great new aquarium there too with Sharks, etc. But, the Oceanarium (part of the Shedd) does a great show with dolphins and baluga whales. Perhaps call ahead and see if you can get them to call you and/or her and/or both of you down for something. She'll think it is part of the show and you can propose right there in front of everyone. That would be way cool. Don't know if they would accomodate or not though, but worth a call. Otherwise, a great place to do it in general.

You could go to any of the numerous museums, Mag Mile (Michigan Avenue in the Gold Coast) for shopping and scout out a good spot. One of my contingency plans when I was planning my proposal was to go to Tiffany's and look around at rings, etc and pretend to drop something and come up with the ring... Or to look at a ring there and say "oh, that's nice, but I like yours better" and then whip it out, etc. Tiffany's may be less than thrilled of course, but they will survive and not lose any sleep.

You could try to get a reservation at Charlie Trotter's, one of the top restaurants in the Country. NOT easy to get reservations and likely would cost you $100 to $200 PER PERSON, so not cheap either.

Okay... Cheese factor now... Go to Wrigley Field (closed now of course for the season), but you could propose outside and say something like, "it's been 95 years since the Cubs were last in the World Series... That's a lifetime for most. How about spending your life with me?" and whip out the ring or something like that? That would surely catch her off guard. Granted, if you are not baseball people or she isn't, it may not be much. It is really not baseball specific though, just a great entre' so to speak.
love.gif

Lincoln Park Zoo may be interesting, it's free and in a great area. Navy Pier, where the Ferris Wheel is has lots of interesting spots in general. You could take an architectrual boat tour and do it there. You could go on the Odyssey for dinner (luxury yacht cruise) and do it there.

Okay... I'm done for now. If I think of anything more, I will write again. Send me a private message if you would like (as I will see that more rapidly) and I can answer more questions. Good luck!

merg

Rough_Rock
I got the ring a week early so instead proposing in Chicago, I think I'm going to do it out here in Philly. We are going hiking so it will probably happen on top of the mountain.

~merg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results