shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposing on vacation but nervous about taking ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Miguel27

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to Dominican Republic in the upcoming months. I plan on proposing to her there but I''m really nervous about taking the ring. Should I be nervous about taking it in my luggage? I''m scared they will open my luggage or even worse, loose it. Should I take it with me?.. in my pocket or something. But that leeds me to my next concern; what if it goes off through the medal detectors and she see''s it. I don''t want anything to ruin the surprise. Does anyone have any ideas or opinions?

sandia_rose

Shiny_Rock
The metal detectors are designed to catch "suspicious" metals - like what would be used in explosives or a weapon. If wedding jewelery (gold or platinum) set off the detectors, I think everyone would be getting caught.

If you're really concerned about it, why don't you call the airline? This is actually a pretty common thing - friend of mine had to do it a couple months ago for the same reason. They can flag your ticket so that if you do get caught beeping, they can do a more discreet search and not tip your fiancee off. I did something like this for a trade show I worked. My company asked me to take a piece of equipment as carry-on because it was too fragile to be checked as baggage (delicate electronics that would be demonstrated at the show). If it went through the detectors, some of the insides would have gotten damaged. I called the airline ahead of time and got a clearance to have it hand-inspected so I could take it on the plane.

If you're worried about losing it in baggage, safety-pin it or sew it to an inside pocket of your jacket or pants. Again, alert the airline that you're doing this so they can hand-check you if needed.

Bridget in Connecticut.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
My best advice is to call your ariline and ask how best to do this. I would never put an ering in checked bagage, that''s just asking for trouble. You can carry it on your person, but if the box has a metal lining, it could trigger the metal detector. Carrying it safely in your carry on is what I would do, so many people have done this without any problems. Also you can do a search on this, there have been many threads on this subject. Best of luck!!
1.gif

Please report back when you have a chance as it will help others....

designchica

Shiny_Rock
There was a gal on here who said that her fiance pinned the ring inside his pants with a safety pin and went right through security with it. It shouldn''t set off the metal detectors. Women go through the detectors all of the time with rings on and don''t set them off.

julabean

Shiny_Rock
My FI flew from Seattle to London with my engagement ring. He had the box in his pocket and wore the ring through security, customs, etc. When I met up with him at Heathrow, I knew he had the ring, but he had it turned upside so all I could see was the band. :razz: I don''t have any specific advice for how to hide it from your girlfriend, since I assume she will be traveling with you, but I would definitely encourage you to carry it on your person. Checked baggage is a huge liability!

Miguel27

Rough_Rock
A buddy of mine gave me an idea. He sayed why don''t I just have a fake ring made that looks identical to the one I have. I checked with my jeweler and she could have it made for cheap. I was thinking, yea I wouldn''t worry about taking the ring with me on vacation but then it just wouldn''t be the same when proposing. The beautiful engagment ring I have for her and the proposal should go together. How would a woman feel if her boyfriend proposes to her using a fake ring????

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t mind being proposed to without the real ring.

My FI officially proposed with a scrabble set - then he proposed again on Valentines (also our 2.5 years ''anniversary'') with an antique eternity band and then again when the ''real'' e-ring arrived! I designed it, chose the stone and took care of having it made etc which was so much fun!

It''s actually quite handy having the eternity band. I wear it when I''m going anywhere that I wouldn''t feel happy wearing the real thing - like on holiday if I''m going to be swimming a lot etc.

Lots of guys propose with candy rings, or ring-pulls. San Diego Lady''s DH proposed with a hospital drinking straw!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results