shape
carat
color
clarity

proposing near birthday

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mslawyer

Rough_Rock
What are your opinions of proposing on or near a birthday or holiday?

My girlfriend and I have a romantic evening planned out of town at a very nice hotel the night before my birthday. Because it will be so romantic, I would like to propose then. But, I''ve read other places to not "combine" birthdays/holidays with proposals.

Is it "tacky" to do it at that time?

Arlington

Shiny_Rock
I say "why not?" I am considering doing something similar. I would be more careful if it was her birthday...but since it is yours there would be no danger of somehow spoiling her day (although I would doubt she would consider a proposal as "spoiling" anything!).

That's just my 2 cents...perhaps there are some females out there who will disagree with me.

Bwana

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend specifically asked for me NOT to propose around a holiday or with something that's played out (ie, on the scoreboard at a sporting event). She felt it was too cliche. To which, of course, I quickly responded "so you want me to propose at a basketball game on Christmas? Ok, done deal!"

Anyway, gauge whether or not that is something she would desire. Though, as the other reply mentions, it will catch her by surprise because it is your birthday, not hers...

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I was proposed to on my Birthday. It gives us two things to celebrate. Also, he thought it was a sign of extra commitment as the ring was a gift - hence mine regardless.

xcite10

Rough_Rock
I proposed to my girlfriend on her birthday. However it was in Mexico after having kidnapped her for four days.
9.gif

She loved it. She thought there was nothing wrong with that.

BigB8405

Rough_Rock
I would say there's not a problem proposing on on/near a birthday or holiday. I am planning on proposing to my gf on Dec. 19 (our anniversary), so I don't see anything wrong with it. You just have to judge how she feels about it/

BigB8405

Rough_Rock
*sorry, double post*

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Isn't it the case--like F&I says--that if you propose on her birthday, the ring is considered a birthday present, & hence hers to keep even if you break up? Otherwise, she'd have to give it back, right? So an extra sign of trust if you do decide to do it.

Personally, I'd rather have my birthday be my birthday and my romantic anniversaries be separate from it. But she might not feel that way.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 10/29/2003 5:19:04 PM glitterata wrote:

Isn't it the case--like F&I says--that if you propose on her birthday, the ring is considered a birthday present, & hence hers to keep even if you break up? Otherwise, she'd have to give it back, right? So an extra sign of trust if you do decide to do it.

----------------

If you're talking legally, the answer is probably no unless it was presented *as* a birthday present, not just on her birthday. If it's meant as an engagement ring, it likely doesn't matter when it's presented, even if it's Christmas morning.

I proposed to my wife on her birthday in order to disguise it. It didn't work, but she also didn't mind.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/30/2003 7:40:44 PM LawGem wrote:

----------------
On 10/29/2003 5:19:04 PM glitterata wrote:

----------------

If you're talking legally, the answer is probably no unless it was presented *as* a birthday present, not just on her birthday. If it's meant as an engagement ring, it likely doesn't matter when it's presented, even if it's Christmas morning.

----------------

Actually, I have been told that it does vary from State to State. And, intention is blurred. I'm no lawyer; but, I do know someone who *indeed* legally kept the ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results