shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposing in Chicago....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arockforher

Rough_Rock
Anyone heard of great ideas for proposing in Chicago---locations, restaurants, etc.....?

Thanks all!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
My fiance proposed to me on an antique typewriter at the W City Center in Chicago. It was in the hotel lobby which does not sound that romantic, but the lighting and the mood was perfect. Then we went to see a concert at the Auditorium Theater and ate dinner in Chinatown. It was great! I highly recommend the W but be forewarned you can hear the L faintly if white noise like that bothers you.
1.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2007 12:50:50 PM
Author:arockforher
Anyone heard of great ideas for proposing in Chicago---locations, restaurants, etc.....?

Thanks all!
There''s a lot written here. Upper middle, hit search, populate with "Chicago," and select the "Proposal Ideas" area to find dozens of references...or 153 (but some are dups).

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
my senior year of highschool (which was 2 years ago) my psych teacher got engaged at the feild museum in chicago...during the time when he was planing to do it the museum had a great exhibit on the royal jewels, she told us when they went up to one display she began to read the information on the rings and other peices inside the case...which the only ring in the case was her engagement ring...and the description was the story of their relationship....i thought it was really sweet and special...any of the museums in chicago are great places for proposals...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We got engaged on North Avenue Beach in Chicago...the first night we met we took a cab there and watched the sunrise together, hee hee. His first plan was to propose to me over cocktails in the Signature Room on the 95th floor of the Hancock building, unfortunately it was close to Christmas and the line to even get on the elevator to get upstairs was a mile long, so after we had a nice dinner at Hugo''s Frog Bar we took a cab (sigh, again
1.gif
) to N. Ave. Beach and even though it was freezing he proposed to me there. It was very meaningful and tied in nicely with the whole story of how we met and came to fall in love.

I remember one guy here took his potential fiancee to Gino''s East (their favorite pizza place, also very famous spot) then took her to I believe Millenium Park and had a caricature drawing done of them both...the surprise was that she thought the portrait would be just that, a portrait of their two faces, but when the caricaturist finished the drawing was of the guy down on his knee with the ring box out and her standing there, and then he proposed. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of his thread but I believe his screen name had "chicago" in it...or cubsfan or something if you want to try to search for it.
1.gif
1.gif

My favorite (ok my dream proposal, lol) would be to Pretty Woman-ize her and take her to buy a dress somewhere on the Mag Mile to be worn to a special dinner that night, prearrange dinner and your proposal, and plan an after dinner cocktail celebration at a martini bar or something and get a fabulous room with a view...
9.gif
That''s just me, though, I like to be spoiled!

jas

Brilliant_Rock
My husband proposed to me right behind the planetarium, looking out at Lake Michigan and over the city skyline.

It was gorgeous!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
In front of the fountain in Grant park would be great. It''s a beautiful spot but gets crowded during summer months. It is lit at night though so maybe at night.
The Italian Village is a good restaurant and has a few tables sort of hidden from the rest of the restaurant.. perhaps you could request one of those.
Anywhere along the lake would be very pretty.
Are you looking for a particular type of food? Indoor or outdoor location?

Becky P

Shiny_Rock
Ooohhh! There''s this restaurant in Chicago called Geja''s. It''s a fondue place and it''s SOOOO romantic and great food and I LOVE it there! There''s usually a guy playing guitar, and for desert, you get chocolate fondue, which they light on fire for you to roast marshmallows first, then you get to dip fruit into the chocolate!! Check it out at www.gejascafe.com. Then, don''t reserve a table online. Call them and specifically ask for one of the booths and let them know you''re proposing so they''ll get you the best booth. (All the booths have these curtains you can close for privacy... totally romantic!! Good luck! Have fun!

firstbase32

Shiny_Rock
I proposed to my wife at the Fourth Presbyterian Church right across from the John Hancock building. There''s a small garden/court yard there and during the summer all the flowers and vines are grown up and it looks amazing. It''s very peaceful because there is a fountain in the middle of the courtyard and that''s where I popped the question. I tricked her into wanting to go there by having the pastor she was interning to tell my wife that she wanted some pictures of the court yard and the sanctuary and stuff...she figured I was proposing that day but thought I would do it closer to Wrigley Field...the garden is BEAUTIFUL and it''s in the smack dab of downtown and it''s so crazy because it''s right off the road, but it''s very peaceful. I highly recommend it.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Hey, thats funny cuz I go there...never really thought of it as a place where people propose...but it is beautiful!!! especially around winter when everything is lit up....But I think a great place would be the gazebo just 2 blocks away from Fourth Presbyterian, right infront of the Drake and just by the beach...just an idea.

briz

Rough_Rock
I had it all planned out, film festival, taste of chicago, picnic, and i''d do it while on the ferris wheel at navy pier, followed by dinner. It was going great until we got to the pier, forgot about summer tourist factor, then found out she never really liked the ferris wheel because it was too high but she said we could go for a ride, walked up and 2.5 hour wait to get on, scratch that, so i thought let''s walk to the end and i''ll do it there, get down there finally find a bench to ourselves, for about 30 seconds until a group of people joined us and had three little kids running laps around the bench then one spilled soda on her foot, not so romantic and she wasn''t happy. OK always have dinner, but apperantly my reservations were not in the book and we''d have to wait about 90 mins. Fustrated we went home. Oh well, vacation starts in 7 hours, and we''re going to where we meet/fell in love and her family will be there, guess i''ll wing it from here

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/2/2007 12:00:22 PM
Author: briz
I had it all planned out, film festival, taste of chicago, picnic, and i''d do it while on the ferris wheel at navy pier, followed by dinner. It was going great until we got to the pier, forgot about summer tourist factor, then found out she never really liked the ferris wheel because it was too high but she said we could go for a ride, walked up and 2.5 hour wait to get on, scratch that, so i thought let''s walk to the end and i''ll do it there, get down there finally find a bench to ourselves, for about 30 seconds until a group of people joined us and had three little kids running laps around the bench then one spilled soda on her foot, not so romantic and she wasn''t happy. OK always have dinner, but apperantly my reservations were not in the book and we''d have to wait about 90 mins. Fustrated we went home. Oh well, vacation starts in 7 hours, and we''re going to where we meet/fell in love and her family will be there, guess i''ll wing it from here
Aw, briz, that''s too bad. I''m sure things will go more smoothly on your vacation, good luck!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
You poor thing! What a disaster. *mutters nasty things about tourists*

Good luck with winging it...sometimes spontaneous, heartfelt moments are the best. :)

imfabareyou

Rough_Rock
A few ideas for Chicago:

Millenium Park? It''s pretty empty late at night.
Get a room at the Peninsula Hotel - most romantic hotel in the city.
Ohio Street Beach - Great views of the city, and in front of the lake.
Just north of Navy Pier along the lakefront path is that little gated park... I''d find out their open hours. It''s beautiful!

I wouldn''t propose in a restaurant. There are usually too many people and wait staff trying to get around you.
Plus, it gets pretty noisy.

But if you are into the restaurant idea, TRU is pretty romantic... one of the best restaurants in the city.

Good luck!

rmkwebdesign

Rough_Rock
In front of Buckingham Fountain

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results