shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposing in 2 weeks: Please help me make it better!

necedemalis

Rough_Rock
In 2 weeks I plan to take my SO of many years on a drive from home (NYC) to Oheka Castle in Long Island for lunch (not dinner, so we can see the grounds in daylight). I have access to a friend's Maserati (what a nice guy) for the special drive. I have never been to the castle but it is the inspiration for The Great Gatsby. She has never asked for anything (not pushy about the proposal nor engagement ring) sans asking that if I should ask her, let it be a private moment (aka not with our families). I plan for us to take the castle tour, eat & then walk around the grounds. I will pop the question then. Can you help me make this better? Thank you!

CymoneD

Shiny_Rock
I think that your current plan sounds beautiful! :appl:

necedemalis

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I hope it all pans out smoothly. Others online have suggested having a photographer there but I don't know if Oheka will allow non-wedding party photographers there. Another great idea (which should supplement the 1st point) is to call ahead and ask if they can prepare some champagne or a specially designated area for the proposal.

CymoneD

Shiny_Rock
Yes those details would make it extra special, having a special area blocked off if possible would probably support keeping it all private.

If possible you could reserve a room and have dinner at the castle and propose in your room with dessert and champagne?

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
necedemalis|1403237580|3697045 said:
In 2 weeks I plan to take my SO of many years on a drive from home (NYC) to Oheka Castle in Long Island for lunch (not dinner, so we can see the grounds in daylight). I have access to a friend's Maserati (what a nice guy) for the special drive. I have never been to the castle but it is the inspiration for The Great Gatsby. She has never asked for anything (not pushy about the proposal nor engagement ring) sans asking that if I should ask her, let it be a private moment (aka not with our families). I plan for us to take the castle tour, eat & then walk around the grounds. I will pop the question then. Can you help me make this better? Thank you!

What a beautiful place to propose! I wonder if the staff would allow you to create a special moment by planting the ring in some flowers or on one of the mantles above a fireplace, where she just happens to see the little box.... Another idea would be a little treasure hunt whereby you give her a map of locations, and in each location there is a little something leading to the big reveal, perhaps in a closet where there is a pair of Louboutins waiting(Cinderella's preferred shoe, I'm sure) and tuck the ring box inside the shoes.

Or, pull the car over somewhere along the way and tell her you think you have a flat. You can get out and pretend to be examining something in the trunk or with a tire (on bended knee). Tell her you need her help. When she comes over, pop the question!

How exciting! Good luck!

necedemalis

Rough_Rock
CymoneD|1403287817|3697364 said:
Yes those details would make it extra special, having a special area blocked off if possible would probably support keeping it all private.

If possible you could reserve a room and have dinner at the castle and propose in your room with dessert and champagne?

That sounds awesome. I wonder if having the room would give it away.

necedemalis

Rough_Rock
RandG|1403289468|3697383 said:

What a beautiful place to propose! I wonder if the staff would allow you to create a special moment by planting the ring in some flowers or on one of the mantles above a fireplace, where she just happens to see the little box.... Another idea would be a little treasure hunt whereby you give her a map of locations, and in each location there is a little something leading to the big reveal, perhaps in a closet where there is a pair of Louboutins waiting(Cinderella's preferred shoe, I'm sure) and tuck the ring box inside the shoes.

Or, pull the car over somewhere along the way and tell her you think you have a flat. You can get out and pretend to be examining something in the trunk or with a tire (on bended knee). Tell her you need her help. When she comes over, pop the question!

How exciting! Good luck!

I would love to surprise her w a pair of Louboutins but aren't those the same price as a ring setting? :lol:

CymoneD

Shiny_Rock
That's true, do you guys go out often in this sort of way?
You could tour the castle and make dinner reservations and after the tour go to dinner as if everything was normal and have the waiter bring a "complimentary" dessert tray out with the shoes and the ring perched in them or even just desserts with the ring displayed somehow with the desserts.

Also, yes Louboutin shoes can get up there in price :lol: but there are Louboutin classics that are in the $625-$750 range. :naughty:

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
necedemalis|1403290454|3697397 said:

How exciting! Good luck!

I would love to surprise her w a pair of Louboutins but aren't those the same price as a ring setting? :lol:

Go on ebay and buy a discounted new pair. You only propose once and very girl remembers Cinderella...

necedemalis

Rough_Rock
RandG|1403292708|3697417 said:

How exciting! Good luck!

Go on ebay and buy a discounted new pair. You only propose once and very girl remembers Cinderella...

I love how this became a shoe thread. Hell why not - post your favs that I might be able to buy as you guys have suggested (classic/new on eBay)

CymoneD

Shiny_Rock
:lol: I love this... OK so what is your budget for the Cinderella shoes?

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
necedemalis|1403294856|3697446 said:

How exciting! Good luck!

Simple Pump Nude or Black patent Leather (I prefer nude) 70 or 85 (depends on heel height preference). There are new ones on ebay in the $500 range, but Saks has them new for around $625. I would buy at Saks. She can always return for something else or buy her wedding shoes there. You are a prince charming for sure :)

I love how this became a shoe thread. Hell why not - post your favs that I might be able to buy as you guys have suggested (classic/new on eBay)

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
necedemalis|1403294856|3697446 said:

How exciting! Good luck!

Simple Pump Nude or Black patent Leather (I prefer nude) 70 or 85 (depends on heel height preference). There are new ones on ebay in the $500 range, but Saks has them new for around $625. I would buy at Saks. She can always return for something else or buy her wedding shoes there. You are a prince charming for sure :)

necedemalis

Rough_Rock
RandG|1403295541|3697458 said:

Does Saks do gift wrapping? I can easily get to their store on 5th and 49th. She was ogling a yellow pair some months ago - I will look for those.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
It's on a different floor but they sure do! Just tell your salesperson what you're doing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results