shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposal too close to a holiday?

lothian110

Rough_Rock
I was originally planning a proposal for 4/9 with a rain date of 4/23. I would be proposing outside which is why I needed the rain date. Turns out plans were made for the 9th that I forgot about. So now I'm lookig at the 23rd, which is the day before Easter, as the day. Do you think it matters that it is so close to a holiday?

Should I call up her friends (who we have the plans with) and ask them to cancel because of the proposal? Or should I just move it to 23rd with no rain date and take my chances and have it be the day before Easter. I didn't want to wait that long, but I'm not sure if I should interfere and let her gf in on the secret.

What do you think?

aileron

Rough_Rock
Hi lothian. Can you share some details about your plan?

lothian110

Rough_Rock
just picked a nice spot in a park on the hudson river. planning on dinner in nyc afterwards.

any advice on asking her friends to cancel? or doing it the day before easter?

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
I don't see any problem with doing it the day before Easter. Why not? But I'm not at all religious. Asking the friends to cancel opens up a big can of worms when you have to explain why to her and to them.

inflorescence

Shiny_Rock
Hi!

I would avoid getting friends involved unless you want them to be part of the planning, sometimes friends may slip up and let the cat out of the bag (at least I know my girlfriend would)

Easter can be a touchy subject depending on how religious a person is. You know her better then me. I was raised catholic and I would have no issue with a proposal a few days before Easter, but if you are planning a big dinner with steak and bacon on Friday if she is religious it might not be the best idea (Good Friday you are not suppose to eat meat if you are following tradition)

GOOD luck!! :)

lothian110

Rough_Rock
For the calling her friend scenario, I would ask her to call my gf and cancel w some excuse. I don't think she would want to ruin the surprise but I do see how it is possible. I wouldn't try to cancel because he would be suspicious of something.

We both are not very religious but usually get together w her or my family for dinner on Easter. This would be a Saturday so the no meat rule wouldn't be a big deal! maybe it would be nice right before Easter and we can spend time w both of our families and also celebrate the engagement.

I was planning on asking her parents on the 2nd of April because I could have some alone time with them. Do you think that is too far in advance of the 23rd. I'm not gonna give them any details. Just ask for permission and say it won't be coming for a while.
Is that ok? Should I ask both her dad and mom? Or just her dad?

inflorescence

Shiny_Rock
Hello again!

I don't think that is too far in advance to talk to the parents... As for asking the dad, mom or both. I guess it depends on your traditions and relationship with them. Traditionally you are suppose to ask the father, but I am a believer in equal rights.. so ask both :) Having the proposal near a holiday does provide the opportunity to share and celebrate with family, plus you have more time off. Bonus!

FuturePsyD

Shiny_Rock
I agree that proposing the Sat before Easter sounds like the best option. I like the idea that you can share your proposal with family the following day at Easter dinner!

I also agree that talking to her parents a few weeks before is not too far in advance at all! I'm sure her mom would love to be a part of the meeting where her future son in law is asking them for her hand in marriage. It will be very memorable for her, IMO!

Good luck. :wavey:

joebox

Rough_Rock
I'm actually visiting my fiances family reunion on April 2nd....then proposing on the day of Easter =) It comes down to the individuals and we are fine with this...or at least I'm pretty certain of it.

Congrats to you both!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results