shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposal in Paris

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AAAB

Rough_Rock
I am currently deployed in Iraq and will be coming home soon. I am surprising my gf with a trip to Paris for New Years. Just curious if anyone has any ideas. I am thinking proposing at the strike of midnight at the eifel tower.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I think it sounds lovely, I would make sure it''s open (if you''re going up)! My DH proposed to me right before it closed at 11p.m. It was gorgeous! Such a beautiful city!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
What a lovely idea! I think the Eiffel Tower sounds great. If you''re interested in some other Parisian options you might want to consider:

-Propose while on a bateau-mouche (one of the boats) on the Seine River
-Propose in front of any of the great churches (Sacre-Coeur, Notre Dame, etc) and make some mention of looking forward to marrying her in a church
-Propose by the Arc de Triomphe (Arch of Triumph)...a bit militaristic, but hopefully your proposal would be triumphant because she''d say yes!
-Propose in the Pere-Lachaise cemetery. Though a bit macabre, making mention of the ''til death do us part stuff would work. And it''s actually a pretty cemetery (with lots of famous folk in it).
-Propose in front of the Louvre or Versailles and say that you want to make her the queen of your castle
-You could always do a picnic proposal with some baguettes, cheese, and wine in one of the city''s parks...perhaps the Orangerie which also has some lovely gazebos.

Would your girlfriend like a proposal where lots of people would be around, or a more private one? That should probably influence your decision as to where you would like to propose, as some of the options mentioned above would allow for more privacy, while others are definitely more public.

Also, are there certain things that your girlfriend is really into? Either a book or movie that takes place in Paris, or she loves old bookstores, or... Basically, is there an interest of hers (or one that the two of y''all share together) that you would like to tie in to the proposal? That would also be a way to generate some other ideas.

AAAB

Rough_Rock
All those ideas sound great. I think the thing I am stuggling now with is the timing. We will be in Paris for 5 days to include new years. I dont knwo if I should propose on our first day there so we can celebrate for the rest of the trip or if I should do it at midnight on New Years. Proposing in public isnt an issue.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Ahh, good question. How much of the proposal do you want to be a surprise? Is flying her to Paris likely to raise the proposal alarms in her head? If so, it may not matter much. Or, you could try and fool her into thinking it was just a romantic gesture and then propose on New Year''s Eve. Is your gf an overcooked LIW? If you don''t know what that means, check out the Ladies-in-Waiting forum, or do a quick search. If so, I''d probably say the sooner the better. If you want to do the Eiffel Tower idea then you may want it to be earlier in your trip, as it might be hard to explain why you''re not seeing one of the city''s most famous sights in the first couple of days.

Regardless, it sounds as though it will be a memorable proposal!

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/16/2009 3:48:53 PM
Author:AAAB
I am currently deployed in Iraq and will be coming home soon. I am surprising my gf with a trip to Paris for New Years. Just curious if anyone has any ideas. I am thinking proposing at the strike of midnight at the eifel tower.
I think everyone has given you really great suggestions. I've never been to Paris so I can't think of anything to add at the moment.

But I just wanted to say "Thanks!" for serving our country. It must be hard for you and your gf to be apart for such long periods of time. I wish you both all of the happiness in the world!
You def. deserve it!

babygirl

Shiny_Rock
Oooo a Paris proposal!! That will be so beautiful!

I''ve been to Paris around that time of year and it will be chilly! An Eiffel Tower proposal would be lovely. I''m not sure how late you can go up, but you could always take a walk along the Champs de Mars (the park surrounding it) and propose there. They light up the tower I think for the first 10 mins of every hour- but I recently heard they were going green or something, so the lighing schedule might be slightly modified.

I don''t remember Paris being being too crowded at that time of year, but if I were you, I''d avoid proposing somewhere where you''ll be surrounded by tourists(maybe that''s just me). A walk along the quai (the little walkway along the Seine)is very romantic. I think les Jardins de Luxembourg are nice, as well as the area surrounding les Invalides. I love love LOVE the Musee Rodin (museum of the sculptor Auguste Rodin) and they have a beautiful garden of statues surrounding it.

I''d propose early on in the trip instead of waiting a few days. This will take the pressure off of you, she won''t spend the trip wondering "is he going to propose?", and you''ll both be able to enjoy being engaged during your time together. It''s such a romantic city and however you choose to propose will be lovely! Best of luck!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
A few things to consider:

Major landmarks will be crowded, especially the Eiffel Tower and the Champs-Elysees. There are fireworks that go off behind the tower at midnight so access might be restricted, and she probably wouldn''t be able to hear you pop the question. Plus, since there will be a lot of people, there will be a lot of pickpockets.

New Year''s day everything will be closed, so it could be a great day to wander through the city, look at the gardens, and pop the question. It''s less likely to be crowded, and the chance that she could hear you.

Or if you really want to propose at midnight, Montmartre should still have people there (and a great view of the fireworks!) but would be more subdued than the Champs-Elysees. It shouldn''t be too hard to get a spot on the hill at Sacre Coeur and whisper in her ear at midnight when the fireworks start. I think jcrow was proposed to on that hill, actually....

Finally, thank you for your service!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results