shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposal in 3 months

Kilops

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone, I've been really trying to plan my proposal. I need to find a nice ring. First of all, my budget is around 12-15k. I previously wanted to buy her the biggest diamond possible for that price range without regards to the brand. However, after many of my peers have purchased Tiffanys, I am starting to debate whether I should buy a smaller ring with a better name. My gf has hinted at the halo design - the equivalent of Tiffany's embrace design. I kind of wanted to buy a princess cut ring with simple 4 prongs because its clear and simple.

I've done my research and heres what I "PRESUME" I can buy for my price range given the cut, color, and clarity of Very Good, H, VS2 or better.

Blue Nile
Halo- 1.5 carat
Princess- 2 carat

Tiffany's
Embrace (Halo)- 1 to 1.2 carat
Princess- 1.3 to 1.5 carat

De Beers and Bvlgari- Estimating 0.5 - 1 carat for round diamond

I have three questions:
1) Does anyone know how many carats I can get at De Beers and Bvlgari?
2) Why is princess so much cheaper than round? Is a 2 carat princess not comparable to a 2 carat round?
3) Which ring do you suggest I get given the background information below? If you can think of another brand more matching to my situation, please tell me as well.

My gf is an Asian girl whose family is much wealthier than me and my family. What this means is that her family requires some assurance that her living standards and lifestyle will not decline as a result of the marriage. This is why I am considering to buy a Tiffany's/De Beers/Bvlgari ring to at least meet the expectations of her family and friends. Please help advise me on the ring selection, not my proposal. Thank you for your help! :wavey:

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've asked the moderator to move your post to Rocky talk forum, as that forum deals speficially with diamonds. You'll get more response there.

Is her family into Brand names?

Princess cut faces up smaller for the same carat weight than that of a round. Anyways, sorry I've got to run, but other PSer's will soon stop in. Good luck in your search.

Grono & Christie Jewelers

Rough_Rock
Trade
If you want a lot of stone for less $, Tiffany's is not the way to go. While a designer name might have appeal, you can get the same quality stone and mounting for much less by going the custom route. We sell 2.5 ct stones in a simple mounting within your price range- give us a shout with specifics and we're happy to find some great options for you! www.gronoandchristie.com

slg47

Ideal_Rock
hmm, this is tough. You may want to stick with the name brand. Also some Asian cultures are more particular on color/clarity so you may want to go with the D-F range for color. If you decide to go not name brand, I would recommend getting a really high quality handmade setting, especially if she wants a halo.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results