shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposal ideas on Oahu, Hawaii needed!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fuentes

Rough_Rock
So I''m planning on proposing to my girl this coming week on March5 in Oahu, but I need some ideas. I would like something quiet alone and romantic/picturesque. I had a crazy idea of kayaking out to the twin Mokulua Islands and doing it out there, but I''m not sure how romantic that would be, never been there. I''ll be staying on Waikiki beach I believe and we may or may not have a car that day, it depends how well we can get around on a bus. Anyone who lives there or been there know of any good spots that would be relatively easy to get to?

Waited2Long

Shiny_Rock
This came from Google: http://www.hawaiianwatersports.com/kayaking/tours/

I grew up there (never been kayaking) but it's actually kind of hard to think of sites on Oahu as romantic, because they were just everyday places to me. Waikiki is pretty crowded, so I'd try something else unless you wanted to do it in a restaurant or hotel room--then there are quite a few choices. Around the way, nearby, is Diamond Head, with the crater you can hike up (~1 hr), and several scenic spots near the ocean surrounding the crater. The Pali lookout is beautiful, but usually windy, and I wounldn't think the city bus goes there. How long will you be on Oahu? If it's for a few days then go ahead and get a car. So many beautiful beaches all around the island.

I just had an idea, and maybe this is really hokey, but I'll throw it out there. There are a lot of small vendors and kiosks in Waikiki, and at least a few of them are very talented caricature artists. For a decent (usually negotiable) price, he/she will draw a caricature of the 2 of you in about 30 minutes, give or take. You sit behind the easel, and don't see it until the artist is finished. All the while, you've got passer-bys giggling as they walk by and see the work. You can usually request your setting in the picture, like surfing, or skydiving.
If you could pre-arrange it, or pass a note or something, you could have the artist draw a caricature of you on one knee, with "Xxx, will you marry me?" coming out of your mouth, proposing to her, maybe with tears in her eyes. And when the artist is done, he/she will turn the easel around for you both to see--that'll be your que. It would be one heck of a memento to boot.

fuentes

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info!
The hike up the crater sounds like a good idea. I''ll be there for 5 days so I''ll probably rent a car for at least a day otherwise, we plan on using the bus most of the time. Do you know if the lookout is a busy place, or is it pretty desolate?

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
Waited2Long, the caricature idea is very cute!

Fuentes, if you are going to rent a car you may want to consider driving out to the North Shore or out west towards Ko Olina. The Ko Olina resort area has a number of beautiful lagoons that are much less crowded than Waikiki. Depending on your budget, maybe you could do a pre-sunset proposal and then follow up with a romantic dinner on the beach? My husband and I had a private dinner once at the JW Marriott and it was an amazing experience. If you wind up going to the JW Marriott, there is actually a small lagoon if you go right after going down the stairs from the pool area. This is really secluded and more natural looking. There is also a Roy''s nearby if you don''t want to do a private dinner.

To get to Ko Olina, I think you just take the H1 West. It turns into Farrington highway I believe and you exit the Ko Olina exit right after Makakilo/Kapolei. If you go to the marriott.com website you can find directions.

East of Waikiki the Mandarin Oriental hotel is very beautiful.

I don''t know why, but when I think of Hawaii what gal wouldn''t love a romantic proposal on the beach? It''s what dreams are made of! Good luck and make sure to report back to let us know how it all goes!

fuentes

Rough_Rock
yeah, I think a classic proposal on the beach at sunset is the way to go, you really can''t go wrong with that. I''m gonna look into that location that you stated, I''m going tomorrow and I''ll have my laptop so I can research over the ''net. Thanks!

Waited2Long

Shiny_Rock
I totally agree. I proposed on a beach too, just not in Hawaii ;-). Fiancee''s from there as well, so it was more special in a place we hadn''t been before. Diamond Head offers great views from the top, but not much privacy as I recall. It''s a well-defined path to and from. And it''s basically a military bunker, concrete and steel, so not too romantic IMO. The nicer beaches are on the east side, so a sunrise might be a better bet than a sunset. Waikiki is on the south side of the island, and beaches west of it aren''t very nice as far as I know. Stay east/northeast of Waikiki. You can circle around past Hawaii Kai (where the Mandarin is), Sandy Beach (nice jaunt) and Waimanalo, heading up the eastern coast. When you pass the town of Kailua you can take a quick way back into town via H3, or continue on up to the north shore. Not much worth the drive past there I don''t think. Take Kamehameha Hwy back as suggested. A drive like that, with a good number of stops, would take most or all of the day, and is really nice. I used to cruise around on a motorcycle when I lived there. Wow I miss Hawaii!
Tip: Don''t leave valuables (the ring) in the car. Thieves love to target tourists. Little enforcement in out-of-the-way beaches, and tourists rarely return to prosecute. Crime is fairly rare, but you don''t want to be the 1/10,000 or whatever the statistics are.
Good luck!

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck Fuentes! I agree with Waited2Long on Diamond Head...not very romantic.

Whatever beach you pick, I''m sure it will be fabulous. Plus you will have a very special place to visit again on your anniversary in 5 or 10 years.
1.gif
I love Hawaii.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results