shape
carat
color
clarity

proposal idea in toronto canada.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ardew

Rough_Rock
hello all,

i will be taking a trip with my girlfriend to toronto canada in 3 weeks.
im trying to decide if i should do the private or public proposal.

the private one would be in our hotel room either a wake up breakfast in bed thing or candle lit room.

or dinner a the 360 cn tower having the ring presented along with dessert.

thoughts?

-andrew

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
"having the ring presented along with dessert"

Do you mean putting the ring in the dessert, or giving her the ring while she is eatting dessert?
I love your idea of going to the restaurant, but I would suggest getting down on one knee and giving her the ring while she was eatting dessert. Personally, I would prefer not to have the ring in food. I would want to wear the ring right away and show it to my friends and family. If I received the ring in food, I would feel like I needed to go get it professionally cleaned. Just my opinion
2.gif

However, there are plenty of girls out there who love the idea of "finding" their ring while eatting dessert. If you think your g/f is one of them, then go for it!

If you do a private proposal, then I like the wake up breakfast idea the best.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
While the CN Tower has a fabulous view when it''s clear, the food there is nothing special and is best avioded. If you are looking for a fabulous view in an elegant restaurant with great food, try Canoe instead. It''s on the 54th floor of the TD building downtown and has a marvelous view of the lake. You can see planes taking off and landing from the Toronto Island airport as well. IF the day is overcast and the cloud ceiling is low, it''s still nice to be in the clouds. If you decide to go to Canoe, be sure when booking that you ask for a table with the best view in mind and tell them you are proposing. I say this because there are several tables that share a long banquette along one of the walls - the tables there have ample room between them, but your next door neighbors will be more or less in on the proposal. I am sure they will help you with suggestions for the proposal as well - say "Marry me" written in chocolate sauce on her dessert plate, or something like that.

Here are some other restaurant suggestions:

http://www.toronto.com/feature/13201/winners.html

I have had the pleasure of eating at The Strand, and Canoe. The Strand has a couple of very private booths. The walls go to the ceiling, but the are across from the spot where the waiters punch in their orders. The back of the restaurant is the prettiest - but you should both be serious carnivores for this stop. While Canoe is not making the top 10 lists anymore (they seem to all be newer restaurants on these lists), it is still fabulous, and would be my choice for a proposal setting both because of the food and the view. Now the review of this restaurant (Laide) sounds good, and might be worth investigating (my next foray into Toronto will include a visit to this spot, or George):

http://www.toronto.com/feature/12961/

Which hotel are you staying at in TO? I find most hotel rooms less than romantic, so, I would opt for a proposal outside of that. In three weeks time, there may still be ice and skating in Nathan Philips Square (close to Eaton''s Centre) - and that might be a nice spot to propose in as well.

ardew

Rough_Rock
thanks buena, i didnt think about that..

interesting gale. thanks ill look into those places..

we''re staying at the Delta Chelsea Hotel on Gerrard st.

hmm ice skating is not a bad idea..

ardew

Rough_Rock
"your next door neighbors will be more or less in on the proposal"

i actually dont want this.
so strand is the only one with private booths?

treysar

Brilliant_Rock

Hey! I got engaged in Toronto – but that was at the hockey hall of fame!!:)

How about niagra falls??

ardew

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/1/2005 4:11:17 PM
Author: treysar

Hey! I got engaged in Toronto – but that was at the hockey hall of fame!!:)

How about niagra falls??
hehe thanks, but she''s not a big hockey fan.

how far is niagra falls from toronto?

we''re only there for the weekend.
arrive fri morning leave sun night.
i didnt rent a car. i figured we''d taxi or use mass transit..

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Gerrard St's a fabulous location. Toronto's a great city, but we but don't happen to get there nearly often enough, despite the fact that it's merely an hour away from here. There are loads of interesting neighborhoods, things to do, places to see.

There are better tables close to the window at Canoe that do not share a banquette, so letting them them know your plans and preferences can help you avoid the banquette. It would seem this is a good idea to let the restaurant know your plans so they can help with the best table for the purpose upon booking.

There are a number of really great restaurants in downtown area. Some nearer Gerrard than others. Some of my other favourites are Avalon, The Fifth, and my favourite Susur (bring LOADS of cash for that one though). The Fifth also has a bar downstairs.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Sorry - Niagara falls would be about a 2 - 2-1/2 hr drive from downtown TO.

ardew

Rough_Rock
thanks gale!

i will look into that.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/1/2005 4
6.gif
5:22 PM
Author: ardew
thanks buena, i didnt think about that..

interesting gale. thanks ill look into those places..

we''re staying at the Delta Chelsea Hotel on Gerrard st.

hmm ice skating is not a bad idea..
If you want to propose while ice skating, Ryerson collage just off of Dundas Street has a smaller much less busy rink with huge rocks set in it. It can be quite a cosy place. Check if it''s still there. I used to work downtown TO many years ago. The Delta fronts onto Elm st as well. There''s a nice Italian and a Portuguese restuarant on Elm. A nice spa on Elm if you want to incorporate a spa. I agree with the 360 restaurant. Not romantic. We would take out of town business guests there on occasion. Canoe is better. Jump used to be a fav. Check Toronto Life, they used to have restaurant reviews. I haven''t been out there in years though. Gale probably has a much better idea.

If weather was better, I''d suggest the island looking back at the city, the Yacht Club is very nice, or soem place on the habour.

Good luck.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2005 4:27:48 PM
Author: Gale
actually, i''m from buffalo... and as long as you''re just driving to NF, Canada (and traffic is not bad) it should take about an hour and a half, perhaps a bit less. i think a niagara falls proposal would be nice!! even though i grew up minutes away, i still love to go there and walk around... it''s beautiful!

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Noobie is right. Although I am not familiar with that rink as I am just a tourist to TO. The link to to Toronto Life magazine is www.torontolife.com. I think of Niagara Falls as being 1 hour from my home in Hamilton - hence the 2 - 2-1/2 hr estimate.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/1/2005 10
6.gif
6.gif
3 PM
Author: icekid
Date: 3/1/2005 4:27:48 PM

actually, i''m from buffalo... and as long as you''re just driving to NF, Canada (and traffic is not bad) it should take about an hour and a half, perhaps a bit less. i think a niagara falls proposal would be nice!! even though i grew up minutes away, i still love to go there and walk around... it''s beautiful!

Sorry icekid, no offense, but I lived in Niagara Falls for 20 years, Toronto area for 7. Commuted to Toronto for over ten years. Don''t drive to Niagara Falls unless you are prepared for a long day. The traffic in Oakville and Burlington on the QEW is not good, even on weekends. However if you do decide to go to Niagara, feel free to ask for ideas.

ardew

Rough_Rock
wow thank you all for the ideas!

ok ill have to count niagara out ssince i wont have a car.

im kinda dependent on the weather if i do go with the ice skating plan, right?

maybe i should just play it safe and go with canoe?

Gale

Shiny_Rock
There must lots of places within TO suitable for a proposal. Casa Loma has a beautiful little conservatory (it could be a chappel, I can''t remember) that would be absolutely lovely for a proposal. March really isn''t tourist season here, so it should be relatively clear of traffic. I cannot remember what the name of the room was, but you will certainly know when you see it, or you could call ahead and ask someone about it (It''s white, maybe circular, I can''t remember it;s been such a long time). Visit the url below - complete address + TTC (Tronto Transit) instructions on how to get there.

http://www.toronto.com/profile/146846?context=attractions

It''s hard to know in three weeks time whether it will still be cold enough for ice. Right now it is, but this time of year can be totally unpredictable as far as weather is concerned. It could be very spring-like with the first buds appearing on the trees, or we could have a snow storm.

I will ask around and see if anyone can think of a remarkable place to propose in, relatively close to your hotel.

ardew

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/2/2005 8:55:18 AM
There must lots of places within TO suitable for a proposal. Casa Loma has a beautiful little conservatory (it could be a chappel, I can''t remember) that would be absolutely lovely for a proposal. March really isn''t tourist season here, so it should be relatively clear of traffic. I cannot remember what the name of the room was, but you will certainly know when you see it, or you could call ahead and ask someone about it (It''s white, maybe circular, I can''t remember it;s been such a long time). Visit the url below - complete address + TTC (Tronto Transit) instructions on how to get there.

http://www.toronto.com/profile/146846?context=attractions

It''s hard to know in three weeks time whether it will still be cold enough for ice. Right now it is, but this time of year can be totally unpredictable as far as weather is concerned. It could be very spring-like with the first buds appearing on the trees, or we could have a snow storm.

I will ask around and see if anyone can think of a remarkable place to propose in, relatively close to your hotel.
thanks again gale.
i did see conservatory room and a tower room on their site..

http://www.casaloma.org/Tour/MainFloor/

i think the tower would be nice..

Gale

Shiny_Rock
The tower is rather bare and spare in Casa Loma, as I recall. It is interesting though...

ardew

Rough_Rock
ok ok im just gonna go with canoe.
thanks gale for your suggestions and everyone else''s as well..

so we''re arriving fri morning and leaving sun night..

now i have to decide when...
dinner fri or sat or sunday brunch.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2005 11:43:44 PM
Author: noobie

Sorry icekid, no offense, but I lived in Niagara Falls for 20 years, Toronto area for 7. Commuted to Toronto for over ten years. Don''t drive to Niagara Falls unless you are prepared for a long day. The traffic in Oakville and Burlington on the QEW is not good, even on weekends. However if you do decide to go to Niagara, feel free to ask for ideas.
shrug... i''ve been to canada at least a few hundred times. my little brother lives quite a bit north of toronto now where he plays jr hockey. so believe me i am quite familiar. i dunno, i really don''t usually have many problems getting to toronto...

sounds like your proposal will be great- good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results