shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposal Idea Advice (Please!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

danielsmu

Rough_Rock
(I’m posting this on a few different forums in hopes that the shotgun approach will yield the best responses so please don’t take offense if you bump into this thread more than once
1.gif
)

I’m planning on proposing this Sunday (2/25), but I’m a little concerned about my current itinerary and was hoping someone here could lend me some direction. I’m planning a day full of nostalgic activities capped off with dinner at the fanciest restaurant in town followed finally by a surprise engagement party with our closest friends; however, I’m a little torn on how, or where rather, to actually propose.

I want the actual place to be somewhere that my future wife and I can return to many years from now and still have it be similar to it’s current state. I had found a perfect spot at the Dallas Arboretum, but now I’m second guessing that idea since the arboretum closes at 5:00 PM and our dinner reservations are for 7:00 PM. After rethinking that plan, I’m thinking that the actual ring presentation should be the high point in the day and I feel like there would be too much time between when I could give her the ring there and when we’d actually be heading out to dinner. On top of that, I’m also second guessing giving her the ring before dinner because again, I feel like the whole day should build up to the ring/proposal, not have the proposal just thrown in somewhere (which is how the arboretum plan feels).

I know I want the place to be somewhere private (i.e. not during dinner), but I’ll also have a friend hiding nearby to take pictures of the actual proposal, so adequate lighting is a concern (i.e. a park after dark would also be an issue). Ideally, I’d like to find someplace we could go after dinner than would meet all of these requirements, but I’m not sure if such a place exists.

Any and all help and advice is much appreciated. Thanks for reading!

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
I think proposing at the Arboretum would be great. The time between when the park closes and your dinner reservation would be time for her to get ready for dinner. You''ll be able to celebrate by yourselves at dinner, then celebrate with family and friends at the party.

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Propose at the arbortorium and then you will have plenty of romantic time
2.gif
before dinner. over dinner you will be so much more relaxed and enjoy it more---remember the proposal is about you just as much as her.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since I am sure many pictures will be taken of the happy couple that night, it''s best to give her a few hours time to get ready for her special night out. So I don''t think the time thing is an issue and if you have a few hours before dinner just think that it will technically be the culmination of a fun "day" to be followed by a great night!

I think the proposal idea is fantastic and even though it''s a few hours before dinner, just think that it will give you both some much needed happy alone time before you need to go out and be social!!! If it''s a surprise she''ll need some time to let it sink in I''m sure.

I love that you''re thinking ahead to what it would be like in the future. Adorable. Good luck!!!

MsPicky

Rough_Rock
I agree with what others have said...she''s going to be so happy & surprised that I''m sure she would like the opportunity to get ready and look absolutely stunning for your special dinner. Also, although she won''t know about the engagement party, I''m positive that she would be relieved & glad that she had the opportunity to look great for pictures and to show off her new ring.

If you however, are still unsure about the original proposal sight, go with something else. You should stick to your gut instinct. If you''re having second thoughts about it, or maybe it''s just not pleasing you 100% than you should chose a place that will. Either way...I''m sure she''ll be the happiest woman on earth that day. Congratulations to you both!!! I hope you truly enjoy your special day...cherish every moment so you may remember it for the rest of your lives.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Thumbs up to the arboretum plan. Won''t you two want to wander around town in a happy daze? And yeah, she''ll want to get changed and stuff. And maybe snuggle with you a bit. Take your time and enjoy it! Proposal at 5ish and dinner at 7 sounds perfect.

One more thing to consider. Is she inclined to privacy when it comes to emotional stuff? If my guy had one of his friends hiding who then popped out to take pictures of the actual proposal, I would absolutely kill him. It would totally spoil it for me. I may like his friends, but I don''t want them around at this most intimate and emotional moment, even if it''s to take pictures.

So, maybe taking more formal pics later on just to be safe? Unless you know she wouldn''t mind? You know her best!

Congrats and good luck.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
omit the friend hiding in the bushes and you will have a nice day.

danielsmu

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to drop back in to say thanks to all of you that replied. I ended up sticking with the Arboretum plan and everything went perfectly. My friend taking pictures is actually one of my and my fiancé’s best friends and she was actually very thankful that we were able to document the occasion. It actually worked out really well in that his girlfriend (another of our close friends) joined him and was able to ward off unsuspecting passer-bys from walking through the little garden we were in leaving it to us for a completely uninterrupted proposal. I’ll be posting a testimonial soon in the appropriate forum to talk more about the Superbcert setting and diamond I purchased, but in the meantime I just wanted to say thanks to everyone here for encouraging me to stick to the original plan. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results