shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposal help please! :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Icon

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

As they say, Long time Reader, First time Poster...

For the past few weeks I''ve been ring shopping, and finally made up my mind today on which to go with. All the information on this site (especially the reference to Whitefire, and the HCA tool) were incredibly helpful.
I don''t have it yet, since I decided to order from Whitefire online.

** Thanks for your help James & Liza **

Now that "who, what (and why of course)" have been answered... time to figure out "where, when & how".

Here''s the situation:

- The ring should be arriving sometime around April 13th (shipped to Canada)
- The FF and I leave for over a month long vacation at the end of the month
- Sometime between now & then I also want to ask for her parents'' permission/blessing

So I''m trying to decide whether to:

A) Propose before we leave
B) Propose during the trip

32.gif

Now I''d like to propose during the trip... but what I''m worried about is we''re backpacking all over the place, and I don''t want to either lose it before I ask her, or be so busy worrying about where it is and/or her not finding it that I can''t enjoy the trip (we''ve never been there). A friend of mine has suggested that I pop the question the first night we''re there... that way we can say we got engaged on vacation (and find a nice place to ask), but I don''t have the worries I mentioned.

Maybe I''m just worrying too much... but I do have concerns about getting it through security at the airport, or carrying it around all day, or getting sleep for those 8hrs on the plane with it in my pocket
25.gif

Any help/experience is appreciated!

Thanks!

gi_WF-4009_f.jpg

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
beautiful ring! I would say either ask right before you leave, or in the beginning of your trip. She will pick up on your attitude if you are nervous the whole vacation, and might think you are not enjoying yourself.
plus, when you go visit new places, each place will be visited as an engaged couple!

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Icon,

Congrats on your upcoming engagement!

I would suggest proposing before you leave for the trip that way she can easily call all her friends and family to let them know the good news and show off her brand new ring. Plus traveling can be stressful enough without all that worry. The trip can be a fun celebration for the engagement!

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
I have to vote with those suggesting you propose before you go. She will want to share this exciting news with her family and friends, at least by phone, and would she have that opportunity while you are backpacking? Something else to think about is the ring sizing. Do you know it is going to fit? If it is too large, do you want her wearing it on vacation? By proposing at least a day before you leave, she could have a ring guard or other sizing option put in place in time to wear it.

Best wishes - Julie

Icon

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the comments & suggestions!

I had thought about the ring sizing - I'm fairly certain that I've got the right size... as I happen to have a pinky ring (Canadian Engineer) that fit her ring finger perfectly, so I just matched that. Worst case, as someone else mentioned, I might grab some of those ring sizing band things (do they work) to take with me if I decide to ask on the trip.

I'm still back & forth between deciding on before we leave, or one of the first nights there. There's pros & cons to both options, some of which you've touched on.

Decisons decisions.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Yes, take some ring sizing bands, great idea!!
Proposing on the first afternoon of the trip or thereabouts could be really special, as long as it's a scenic spot!!
Regarding sneaking the ring through customs, if it's in your wallet, or tucked in with your carry on luggage, is it likely to be a problem?

If you have a specific spot in mind, and it's not immediate in the itinerary, you could always get really crafty and stitch it into the seam of your shirt once you are on your way... she might think you are very eccentric, if she catches you sewing, though!! Or put it in with your dirty jocks?
25.gif

Icon

Rough_Rock
Its not so much customs that I''m concerned about... I meant the Airport Security Check.

What I''m thinking is as long as I carry the carry on bag, and maybe keep the ring in my pocket, then the chances of her seeing it are nil. But I don''t want the metal detector to go off with the ring in my pocket or something.

Does gold set off the detector?

I''m actually starting to lean towards asking once we''re there. Mostly because I know there will be ALOT of scenic/romantic views/opportunities, whereas if I do it before we leave then I need to create another (and I''m drawing blanks as far as good ideas go). That sounds kind of lazy... but with all the time spent on planning this trip already, my creative juices are somewhat dried up.

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
First, beautiful ring. How about asking her the night before you leave or something and say here I got you something to pack for the trip or something for her carry on bag. She would never expect it to be an e-ring. This way you can celebrate the whole trip together as being engaged and not be nervous the whole time or risk losing the ring.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 5:39:49 PM
Author: Icon
Its not so much customs that I''m concerned about... I meant the Airport Security Check.

What I''m thinking is as long as I carry the carry on bag, and maybe keep the ring in my pocket, then the chances of her seeing it are nil. But I don''t want the metal detector to go off with the ring in my pocket or something.

Does gold set off the detector?

I''m actually starting to lean towards asking once we''re there. Mostly because I know there will be ALOT of scenic/romantic views/opportunities, whereas if I do it before we leave then I need to create another (and I''m drawing blanks as far as good ideas go). That sounds kind of lazy... but with all the time spent on planning this trip already, my creative juices are somewhat dried up.

I think you can surely create a nice moment before you leave. It can be as simple as showing up at her house with a dozen roses or taking her out for a nice dinner
1.gif

And to set your mind at ease just in case, jewelry-grade metals do not set off the metal detector - I''ve worn my rings through security multiple times
1.gif

BB2

Rough_Rock
I say propose right in front of the metal detectors at airport security. That would be hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results