shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposal for her or us?

dandyman11

Rough_Rock
I finally pulled the trigger on the e-ring! I'm really excited. I was racking my brain for the past few months trying to think of how to propose. I finally came up with something... I was going to fly her out to where she went to school in South Carolina and ask her there on campus. I have never been there before because I met her after she graduated so I'll be flying a little bit blind.

She went to a smaller known university and hasn't been there in years but has A LOT of school pride and great memories there. I did not tell anyone my idea because i just thought it was a decent idea and didn't want to jinx it, have it criticized, or have it leaked somehow.

I just recently told a close friend of mine and he suggested that the proposal should actually be somewhere special to both of us rather than just special to her. He mentioned that she has a lot of memories there and it shouldn't be overshadowed by the proposal or vice-versa. That thought never really crossed my mind but that actually makes sense. Now I am totally second guessing my idea.

The date I had in mind is less than a month away.. I definately wanted to propose to her outside of the city limits (Houston, TX) but we don't really have a place that's significant outside of the city.

I could rack my brain some more and come up with a new random place that we've never been before and ask her there or I could stick to my idea and pop the question at her school.

Stressed and confused... Any thoughts???

wedge

Rough_Rock
Why do you feel that it needs to be outside of your city? Just wondering.

I know you want the proposal to be perfect, but I'm sure either way would be fine. She'd surely appreciate your thoughtfulness in bringing her back to her alma mater... or be moved as you revisit a place where you two have shared some memories.

Is the flight cost a consideration? Given that there's not a ton of time left before the big day, flights might be kind of expensive. (Plus you'd have to think of where you two could stay, etc.) Logistically, the school plan seems more complicated.

Anyway, whatever you decide, try to relax and not be too stressed out. She's going to say yes because she loves you... not because you planned a storybook proposal. Be cool.

DestinedPalmer

Rough_Rock
I used to live in Pasadena... Take her to Kemah and ask her by the whales tales water fountain and ask her... Kemah is an awesome place to do that... Then take her to dinner there..good luck!!!!

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
I agree with your friend - it should be at a place that is meaningful for you and her.

I think locaton doesn't matter really because most people get so focused on the excitment of it.
You can do it outside her bedroom door and she'll still love it if you make it a surprise and romantic.

If you want to make it a bit different and go out of state - give us more information.
For example, are there places you guys would like to visit together? Things she likes etc.

dandyman11

Rough_Rock
Within the city, there isn't "one" place that is very sentimental to us. She loves to try new things and new places so we haven't been to just one place to frequently. She loves to travel, experience different things, loves being outdoors and she is an avid runner (which I am not). She LOVES traveling out of the country.

She's not extremely into the mushy romantic stuff but she is still a very sweet girl.

It's not really within my budget or my work schedule to take her out of the country so I figure the next best thing is to take her outside of the city.

Plane tickets are around $450 each to where I want to take her. =(

I'm torn. Kemah sounds nice... I'll look into that idea.

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
I don't think you need to go out of state to make it special.
Don't they have resorts you can go to in Texas? Like a weekend spa getaway?

How about hot air balloon rides? You can propose there.
I don't recommend helicopters because they get loud.

danners84

Rough_Rock
If she's a big outdoors person, what about heading west to Fredericksburg and proposing during a hike at one of the nearby parks? Enchanted Rock and Lost Maples are both a day trip... Just depends if a couple nights away is in the budget. FWIW, I got engaged in the Houston city limits - there are lots of great places in town. And some of those places are absolutely beautiful this time of year with the Christmas decor after dark. I think your original idea could be ok, but I DO love that the spot that we got engaged is special for that and only that - it's my only memory when we go back there or drive by.

IceExplorer

Shiny_Rock
I'm on your side with this one. If you know of a special place that she likes, by all means do it there.

If you can afford and would like to do it out of state, go for it.

As far as 'for her or us'?

I struggled with this one as well. After much pondering I came to a realization; where ever it took place would be a memory forever imprinted as a special place for 'us'.

I flew blind too. I didn't know the area well but ended up hiring a local photographer who helped with location and ideas. Then, I hired the receptionist at the Condo rental company to be my assistant for the morning. Women LOVE to help with this sort of thing. The condo assistant only cost me 75.00 all morning. So, it was cheap security.

Good luck, let us know what you come up with...

dandyman11

Rough_Rock
Thanks Ice-Man!

I found a round-about way to get her there which would cut the travel costs by more than half!

So far, it looks like I'm gonna do it! Really excited! Tell you guys how it goes!

mariewest

Shiny_Rock
I agree that you should do something that is special for the both of you. Don't try to over complicate the proposal, sometimes simple is better.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results