shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposal first ring later?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

venth_BE

Rough_Rock
Don''t shoot me down I''m just sounding out an idea....

I want my proposal to be a genuine surprise.

If I start going looking at rings with my partner (to get an idea of her taste in diamond rings) prior to the proposal its really not going to be a shock when I finally propose. Basically I''m scared of buying an unsuitable/unwanted diamond (and setting), my partner is particular and unpredictable (at least to me) with her taste in jewellry.

So would it be so terrible to propose without the ring but it a suitably romantic way - with some kind of physical promise to go and buy a ring together ASAP?

I''ve got the feeling I''m being overly practical and not sufficiently romantic but I really just don''t want to screw up.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
I think your plan would be perfect. Picking out the ring together will also be very romantic. You could also propose with a "temporary" non-diamond ring- sort of a temporary place holder ring until the two of you find a ring together.Good luck.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I love this idea! I picked out my ring with my then-boyfriend before the proposal and it was an amazing experience! Good luck!

hilbake

Rough_Rock
I''d say that if she''s really that particular about her jewelry, then she''d probably be happy to pick out something she likes, and it''s something you can both go and do together... I think that''s romantic!

Larissa

Shiny_Rock
We picked out the ring together, and I''m glad that we did. I think that your plan sounds like a good one.

However, please also take into consideration what she qualifies as "engagement". There are some people (proof on the Ladies in Waiting board if you need it) who wouldn''t consider it an engagement or proposal without the ring.

If she fails into this category she might find herself disappointed.

venth_BE

Rough_Rock
thanks everyone - that''s put my mind at rest a little! Now I just need to work out the romantic proposal bit :)

We''re on holiday next month, I think I''ll aim for that... we''re visiting beautiful country (Andalucia, in Southern Spain) next month... there''s some stunning scenery, wonderful locations... I''ll get my thinking cap on...

JT

Rough_Rock
Have you ever seen the movie ''Sweet Home Alabama''? LOL

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YEAH! I vote for the Sweet Home Alabama proposal!!!!

(propose, then take her to Tiffany and let her take her pick. SWOOON!)

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

But seriously, I APPLAUD the idea of proposing first and then enjoying the process of ring-shopping together....how fun and romantic and EXCITING that will be for both of you! This way, no unpleasant surprises or disappointment. Win-win!!!!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
My FI proposed with a pendant that he knew I wanted, and then we picked out the ring together. It''s perfect because the pendant is sort of our special little proposal memory, and the ring is the outward symbol, but I can wear both!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the proposal idea. Then you guys can pick out the ring together, it''s a win win situation. She''ll get what she wants and it will be a fun and romantic adventure. Good luck!!!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
As the longest-in-the-tooth LIW on the list, I can tell you that the VAST majority of us would happily vote for the proposal-first-ring-later variety!! Honestly, THE ring is not required--you can be genuine and romantic with a twist-tie or a vending machine ring or a sterling band OR the real ring, or tin foil or NOTHING...and then be sure of her tastes later when you shop together. If you have any doubts about a surprise, then ask questions first, shop later.
9.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
What if you bought her a simple band or something to give her AT the proposal, with the promise of shopping for the real engagement ring later? I think it would be a nice gesture, it would make her feel ''engaged'' and end up being a very sentimental piece of jewelry for her!!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
My DH proposed to me with his engineering ring and then we picked out an engagement ring together, which worked out great! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results