shape
carat
color
clarity

Prongs - Pricescope pictures skewing my view?!

P

PierreBear

Hi PS Friends,

I'm still looking through pictures of rings on pricescope before pulling the trigger on a ring and was hoping if someone can set me straight on the types/styles of prongs I've seen. Some prongs look less "delicate" than others. Specifically, all the hand forged ones look so perfect whereas the others. I know the other well known vendors do a great job as well but the real life photos just appear more bulky in the real life photos. I personally have an engagement ring that wasn't hand forged and when I'm looking at the prongs in person, they look great and I have no issues! However, when I photograph them, it gives that "bulky" appearance as well so I feel like I shouldn't be strictly relying on pictures when trying to decide between vendors.

So I guess I'm just asking whether it's worth it to pay the extra money for a setting that is hand forged on a simple ring if I'm just noticing the difference in the prongs? I've never seen a ring made by LM, SK, or VC in person so I'm just not sure. I hope this question makes sense and I'm not the only OCD one who gets bothered by prongs.

Thanks in advance!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rings don't have to be handforged to have nice prongs. One example would be WF. Many or most of their rings are cast, but they still know how to do nice prongs. I know what you mean because my Vatche ring has straight prongs and not claws like the real Tiffany, and they are very delicate in person but look larger in highly magnified photos. In general, though, typical jewelers do not pay attention to prongs like we are used to here. I would be hesitant to ever get a setting locally for that reason. It is more who is setting the stone rather than whether the ring is handforged or not. That said, I don't care for every ring I have to have claw prongs. I like other antique style prongs on certain stones. But still, it is important to have someone who gets the aesthetics of whatever style prongs they are making.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
You don't need a hand forged ring to get delicate prongs, or claw prongs. You just have to have a bench jeweler who can make prongs you like. If you told Whiteflash, Brian Gavin, ID Jewelry, etc. that you like delicate/pointed prongs, they can do it on their stock settings, which aren't hand forged. I asked Erica at Love Affair Diamonds if the prongs on my (cheapie, temp) setting for my OEC could be made more delicate/pointed and she got it done--definitely worth it to ask.

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
My ring is by BGD, not hand forged, and the prongs are very delicate. They don't photograph to be, but in real life they are.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have SK prongs. And they are the most delicate prongs I've seen.

Other delicate prongs I've seen in person: Leon (**edited by moderator, please be family friendly**), Singlestone, Engagement Rings Direct/Brilliantly Engaged and Brian Gavin Diamonds.

You don't have to have CAD. But you DO need a really good bench.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results