shape
carat
color
clarity

Prong Setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

suzy70

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I am new to the Pricescope Forums and wish I could afford diamonds but instead I just go with mid priced colored gemstones. I have been into jewelry for years and decided after learning how to bead, glass fuse and wire wrap(which I am not to good at yet but practice make perfect) I would like to try to start prong setting my own gemstones. I recently went to my favorite gem and jewelry show and bought the tool for for gemsetting stones in prongs and my boyfriend who is a mechanic, thank god, had a micrometer so I could measure my stones I bought.....So now I have a few questions on how to get started:
1. Does anyone know any good resoures I could refer too?
2. So I can get started right away (I have measured the gemstones width and length) do I buy a prong setting a little bigger to push in the prong to set the stone or a little smaller to pull out the prong to set? I would think you would want to go bigger because pulling out prong might weaken them but I wanted to ask.
3. Is the V-prong for all different shapes? I have heard it is a great prong setting and very realiable.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks Suzy

kristy_lyn

Shiny_Rock
You should look to see if there is a class anywhere in your area.

For most prong setting tasks you need special tools and stuff. There are some "snap in" settings, but, I don''t know how secure they are.

I you can find a class, you can make sure you''re doing it the right way - so you don''t have too many expensive mistakes!

suzy70

Rough_Rock
Thanks Kristy. I am going to try to google search Lapidary classes or jeweler classes but I also think the local community college has something but that is really expensive. If you find any resources let me know. Suzy

riogems

Shiny_Rock
Hi Suzy,

1) Prong setting can be quite challenging to do it properly. It may be possible that you bought a tool for a specific type of prong setting (probably for silver settings?). Even if you are buying pieces that are already cast and pre-polished, you may still need to cut a notch into each prong which is where the gem will sit... you may need to cut the prongs to the proper length, etc... It shouldn''t be hard to figure out how to use the tool (did it come with instructions?). To become a proper bench jeweler requires a lot of equipment, training, and experience.

2) You want to buy a setting that is for the same size as the stone you have... ie.. a setting for a 9x7mm oval is meant to take a 9x7mm oval.

3) A V-prong is for stones that have a pointed corner, such as the end of a pear shape, or both ends of a marquise...

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
What is this tool that you bought?
Basically a good size setting is one where the stone just about sits ontop of the prongs without falling in.
You need:
Afile.
something to cut the bearing or slot for the stone to fit into the prong.
a tool for pushing the prong onto the stone.
some fine buff paper to smoooth the prong to finish.

This is the most basic list of needs i can think of.

khaotom

Rough_Rock
hi,i have no experience in prong setting,but i''m also looking to get into this area & this is what the experts seem to suggest;

ive heard that the blane lewis,dvds,videos are highly recommended,& it seems the best produced .(also a lttle expensive).at www.newapproachschool.com

alan revere has many books,but not sure if theres one entirely dedicated to stone setting.
also robert r wooding.dvd,vhs $29.95
& gerald l wykoff,is another option. cd-rom.another inexpensive option.

i suppose the next thing is polishing,in which case it seems a flex shaft or dremel is needed,which is also generally used with burs to cut the prongs.

regards

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results