shape
carat
color
clarity

Probiotics - suggestions on good ones

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is anyone taking probiotics and have a suggestion for a good one? At one point my husband had purchased some and I tried them and they were great, lots of energy, etc. Life happened and I didn't take for a while now I we can't remember what brand it was.
There are so many out there and I hate to waste money on something without some good reviews from actual people, online reviews I don't trust as many are fake.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@autumngems, My doctor gastro and pharmacist both recommended Florastor so thats what I have been taking. I’ve had no problems with it and feel good.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@autumngems, My doctor gastro and pharmacist both recommended Florastor so thats what I have been taking. I’ve had no problems with it and feel good.

Thank you, that one i had gave me so much energy it was great and I definitely need that.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like to switch around with different formulas. There are so many different probiotics out there and not all are good ones. Don’t always look for the one that has the gazillion probiotic cultures, look for the products that have the most probiotic strains. Also, choose the products that have pre biotic formulas (like potato starch, Acacia fiber and the like) so that you are feeding the bacteria colonies not just flooding them with certain strains.

I like Garden Of Life. They have many different formulas and are topnotch In quality. I take their Once Daily Women’s (no refrigeration needed)

Renew Life is another good one, again several different formulas.

Florestor is yeast based not bacteria based so it’s great to take alongside of antibiotic treatment because it’s benefits aren’t eliminated by the antibiotics. It doesn't contain as many strains as I like and I wonder about yeast over growth in the gut if taken long term.

Any of these can be purchased on Amazon

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like to switch around with different formulas. There are so many different probiotics out there and not all are good ones. Don’t always look for the one that has the gazillion probiotic cultures, look for the products that have the most probiotic strains. Also, choose the products that have pre biotic formulas (like potato starch, Acacia fiber and the like) so that you are feeding the bacteria colonies not just flooding them with certain strains.

I like Garden Of Life. They have many different formulas and are topnotch In quality. I take their Once Daily Women’s (no refrigeration needed)

Renew Life is another good one, again several different formulas.

Florestor is yeast based not bacteria based so it’s great to take alongside of antibiotic treatment because it’s benefits aren’t eliminated by the antibiotics. It doesn't contain as many strains as I like and I wonder about yeast over growth in the gut if taken long term.

Any of these can be purchased on Amazon

Did any of these give you bloating?

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well Florestor can definitely cause bloating (Brewers yeast)

I haven’t found bloating to be a problem with the products I take. That’s why I look for pre biotic in the formula. We are all different though. I also eat plain yogurt almost everyday. Fermented foods are your guts best friends!

eta: If you have lactose sensitivity Florestor could be a problem for you

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just make my own yogurt in an Instant Pot.
Then I "greek" it, that is drain out the whey for a day or two in a nice strainer thingie in the fridge.

When it's almost gone I make a new batch using the last few tablespoons of yogurt as starter for the new batch.

Yummy rich and creamy, fun, easy, cheap, healthy.
This is breakfast 6 days a week.
I add in some thawed frozen mixed berries from Costco.
This model of "greeker" holds a gallon, and can drain away 1/2 gallon of whey, leaving you with 1/2 gallon of greek yogurt.

You can keep reusing the last bit as starter maybe 5 or 6 times.
Then I'll buy a little tub of organic non fat greek yogurt at Trader Joes for a buck.

Also, I add one cup of non fat powdered milk to help thicken it, other folks use whole milk or gelatin, etc.

y.png

Last edited:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you looked into milk Kefir? It's a fermented drink that has a lot of studies proving it beneficial. The dog and I love it.

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
I love Kefir! I've had problems with taking Probiotic pills as they can really mess up my stomach and bowels! Anytime I take antibiotics I am sure to have a couple of bottles of Kefir in my fridge. I drink it a couple of hours after taking antibiotics (several times a day) and then once my course of antibiotics is finished I continue drinking a glass or two for a couple of weeks afterwards. Good stuff to drink even if not taking antibiotics.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kefir has yeast, yogurt doesn’t, so that can be a problem for some people. It also contains more sugar than I’d like.
I still like it once in awhile, it’s yummy.
@kenny I love that you make your own yogurt!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Prior to switching to my bariatric with probiotics, I was on florastor for YEARS. Worked fantastic.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Dr. Mercola has a probiotic I’ve been using for years. It’s good to switch occasionally, I agree.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love Kefir! I've had problems with taking Probiotic pills as they can really mess up my stomach and bowels! Anytime I take antibiotics I am sure to have a couple of bottles of Kefir in my fridge. I drink it a couple of hours after taking antibiotics (several times a day) and then once my course of antibiotics is finished I continue drinking a glass or two for a couple of weeks afterwards. Good stuff to drink even if not taking antibiotics.

im glad it wasnt just me
i usually have a cast iron gut so i was not impresssed
i brought them after having to take antibiotics
i tried these and never again
12659054247966_500x_a41e1541-c352-47b6-bb64-9f532b3764b8_500x500.webp

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I assume I could also make k
Kefir has yeast, yogurt doesn’t, so that can be a problem for some people. It also contains more sugar than I’d like.
I still like it once in awhile, it’s yummy.
@kenny I love that you make your own yogurt!

Hmm. :think:
I wonder whether I can make keifer (or a similar drink) without yeast ...

I've made yogurt a zillion times and noticed the longer it incubates, the thicker gets.
I've experimented with times from 12 to 24 hours, after which I "greek" it.

A 'YOGURT' button on the Instant Pot holds it at the perfect temp for breeding the good bacteria (110 deg F) then it shuts off when your set time has elapsed.
I've settled on 15 hours, but next time maybe I'll experiment removing some after 6 or 8 hours for to get 'Kennyfer'.

If the incubation time is too short the milk-solids remain in solution and fall through the sieve of the "greeker" along with the whey - wasting some of the yogurt itself.

BTW1 I've read that when you "greek" yogurt most of the lactose also gets drained out in the whey.
Whey Cool! :dance:

BTW2, the whey itself makes an ideal preservative for that yummy soft moist mozzarella cheese that comes floating in balls on the counter in a good delicatessen.
It stays fresh for several weeks.

I realize I sound like an Instant Pot salesman but no, I do not hold stock in the company.

Last edited:

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just make my own yogurt in an Instant Pot.
Then I "greek" it, that is drain out the whey for a day or two in a nice strainer thingie in the fridge.

When it's almost gone I make a new batch using the last few tablespoons of yogurt as starter for the new batch.

Yummy rich and creamy, fun, easy, cheap, healthy.
This is breakfast 6 days a week.
I add in some thawed frozen mixed berries from Costco.
This model of "greeker" holds a gallon, and can drain away 1/2 gallon of whey, leaving you with 1/2 gallon of greek yogurt.

You can keep reusing the last bit as starter maybe 5 or 6 times.
Then I'll buy a little tub of organic non fat greek yogurt at Trader Joes for a buck.

Also, I add one cup of non fat powdered milk to help thicken it, other folks use whole milk or gelatin, etc.

y.png

Hi kenny! I just purchased this on Amazon and this will be the first time I will make my own Greek yogurt. Would you please share your recipe. Thank you.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw Cool. Thanks!
I'm flattered ... which unfortunately does not flatten my rounded tummy ... but still ... thanks.

I'll post my recipe soon, which uses an Instant Pot.

Here's how I roll.
I enter my recipes into my puter, then print it.
I work from my printout several times, penciling in notes, comments, ideas, possible improvements.
From time to time, such as now, I'll enter all the notes into the puter and print out a new revision.

After doing this for decades I have IMO a few recipes that are really excellent.

Of course my current recipe uses an Instant Pot model (there are many versions) with a dedicated Yogurt button.

Mine was given to us by my MIL.
She loves to buy stuff - but instead of using it, she "stores" them in her pantry unopened for forever!
At least until I convince here baby boy (my DH) to donate it to our charity - which feeds her DNA progeny.
Well, bless her little-ole heart! :kiss2:

Tell me If you don't have an Instant Pot.
No worries, I'll write up my old school recipe of making yogurt in a regular stovetop pan.

FWIW, my recipes are not brief.
Rather they are chock full of tons of detail that will annoy many personalities.

Oh well, it's worth what you're paying me. :lol-2:

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I see several different florastor online which one do you take?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kathley

If you bought the 1-gallon 'greeker' I posted with the stainless steel mesh ...
It looks very very delicate.
I'm not saying it's not durable.
I'm just saying I don't want to find out how fragile it is because I was too rough while cleaning it.
I doubt it's dishwasher safe, though we. don't own a dishwasher.

I hand wash it with a brush with very soft bristles and dish soap.

FWIW there are smaller 'greekers' that are cheaper.
I have one stored in my garage now which is going to waste since I found out I could get twice the yogurt for the same effort and time.

Also, since I'm a Geek-O-Rama ... after washing and rinsing with tap water I spray ( in a spray bottle) the steel screening with distilled or reverse osmosis water.
Then gently tap out any water I can.
Those two types of water have few to no minerals that, over the long term, might be left after evaporation and clog the very tiny holes in the steel mesh.

Likely overkill, but that's me. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@kathley

If you bought the 1-gallon 'greeker' I posted with the stainless steel mesh ...
It looks very very delicate.
I'm not saying it's not durable.
I'm just saying I don't want to find out how fragile it is because I was too rough while cleaning it.
I doubt it's dishwasher safe, though we. don't own a dishwasher.

I hand wash it with a brush with very soft bristles and dish soap.

FWIW there are smaller 'greekers' that are cheaper.
I have one stored in my garage now which is going to waste since I found out I could get twice the yogurt for the same effort and time.

Also, since I'm a Geek-O-Rama ... after washing and rinsing with tap water I spray ( in a spray bottle) the steel screening with distilled or reverse osmosis water.
Then gently tap out any water I can.
Those two types of water have few to no minerals that, over the long term, might be left after evaporation and clog the very tiny holes in the steel mesh.

Likely overkill, but that's me. :mrgreen:

Hi! I bought the 1-gallon greeker and I have an Instant Pot model. I look forward to your detailed and refined Kenny recipe!!! Thank you so much. :)

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to make yogurt in my Instant pot all the time. I didn't "greek" it though. I ususally flavored it with some vanilla and a bit of agave. It was really good. At one point I just stopped doing it. I should start again.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! I bought the 1-gallon greeker and I have an Instant Pot model. I look forward to your detailed and refined Kenny recipe!!! Thank you so much. :)

@kathley

Here ya go.
It looks like a huge time-consuming hassle, but actually this is mostly because of how I geek out and write excessive detail.
Most of the time is spent waiting ...
15 hours of incubation, then 24 hours cooling, then another 24 hours for greek-draining in the fridge.
This is why I start the process 3 days before I need it.

If you want to save a bit of time and hassle you could try not stirring continuously, and not scrubbing out the burnt milk between steps below.

Instant Pot Yogurt
Rev: Apr 20 2023

You’ll need Probe thermometer, Instant Pot (IP), Metal spatula, (hamburger flipping type), 1 gallon of milk, any kind works fine, but if using non-fat I add 1 cup powdered milk to thicken yogurt, 2 or 3 Tbsp plain starter yogurt. Temps are in Fahrenheit.

I like my DOT thermometer from Themoworks with their $4 probe clip.

tp.png

https://www.thermoworks.com/dot/

https://www.thermoworks.com/ph001/

Remove gasket from IP cover.
Take starter yogurt out of the fridge to let it warm a bit while you’re working.

Pour a couple inches of cold milk into small bowl.
While mixing @ low speed, gradually add 1/3 of the milk powder.
Mix well @ medium speed.
Pour mixture into IP pan, repeat for next 1/3 of powder, then the last 1/3.
Pour remaining milk into pan, beat well.

Place pan of milk mixture into IP base.
Slide thermometer probe bracket onto the top edge of pan.
Ensure probe tip is well into the milk, but not touching bottom of pot.
Don’t cover yet.

Set thermometer’s alarm for 180 if you have one, otherwise you must monitor temp yourself.
Press Sauté on IP, which keeps the heat at high until you press cancel.
I use a steel hamburger type of spatula to stir because it’s good at scaping the bottom of the pan.
The less you stir the more likely a hard scum of burnt milk will build up on the bottom.

Stir often at first and continuously as it gets hotter, often scrapping bottom of pan to prevent build up of burnt milk.
As mixture gets hotter stir more often; I stir continuously after it reaches 100 or so.
FWIW, it takes around 30 minutes to heat from 39 to 180.

When temp reaches180 press CANCEL to turn off the heat.

Pour milk into a separate clean metal pot for cooling while you clean the burnt milk from the bottom of the IP pot. Be sure to dry IP pan thoroughly, especially the bottom of the pan for proper heat transfer. When incubating the IP keeps the bottom of the pan at 110, but if there’s burnt milk scum I wonder if that layer insulates and prevents the mixture from reaching 110. That’s why I clean the pan while mixture is cooling.

To cool mixture remove pan from base and float it in sink or large mixing bowl of room temp water, stir often.
Adding ice to the water speeds up cooling.
(I don’t add ice any more because I need that time to wash away the burnt milk film from the IP pan.)

When milk cools to 110, remove probe and bracket.
Add 2 or 3 Tbsp starter greek yogurt either from your last batch, or new yogurt.
Mix well with beaters.
Put into IP base, and cover with gasket removed.
Ensure steam release knob is in the venting position, IOW fully CCW.

Press Yogurt button, which keeps the temp at 110.
Press + button until the incubation time reads 15 hours, or whatever you prefer.
Then leave it alone to incubate, don’t stir.

Incubation time may be from 12-24 hours.
More incubation time makes it thicker and more tart, less time makes it less tart but more runny.

I think it’s not good to put very hot stuff into the fridge, so when finished incubating I let it cool down to room temp in sink/pot of water.
Place on bottom of the fridge (it’s coldest there) overnight till temp has dropped to low 40s; Mid 30s is even better because the colder it is the less yogurt solids will fall through the strainer and go to waste.

Transfer to Greek Yogurt strainer; cover and refrigerate.
You can control how thick vs. runny the greek yogurt is by adjusting the time it is left in the greeting strainer.
The longer it strains the thicker it will be.
I prefer straining for 24 hours, which results in a half gallon each of whey and “Greegurt”, LOL
Discard whey (unless you care to Google up some uses for it) and transfer Greek yogurt to a covered 1/2 gallon storage tub.

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@kathley

Here ya go.
It looks like a huge time-consuming hassle, but actually this is mostly because of how I geek out and write excessive detail.
Most of the time is spent waiting ...
15 hours of incubation, then 24 hours cooling, then another 24 hours for greek-draining in the fridge.
This is why I start the process 3 days before I need it.

If you want to save a bit of time and hassle you could try not stirring continuously, and not scrubbing out the burnt milk between steps below.

Instant Pot Yogurt
Rev: Apr 20 2023

You’ll need Probe thermometer, Instant Pot (IP), Metal spatula, (hamburger flipping type), 1 gallon of milk, any kind works fine, but if using non-fat I add 1 cup powdered milk to thicken yogurt, 2 or 3 Tbsp plain starter yogurt. Temps are in Fahrenheit.

I like my DOT thermometer from Themoworks with their $4 probe clip.

tp.png

https://www.thermoworks.com/dot/

https://www.thermoworks.com/ph001/

Remove gasket from IP cover.
Take starter yogurt out of the fridge to let it warm a bit while you’re working.

Pour a couple inches of cold milk into small bowl.
While mixing @ low speed, gradually add 1/3 of the milk powder.
Mix well @ medium speed.
Pour mixture into IP pan, repeat for next 1/3 of powder, then the last 1/3.
Pour remaining milk into pan, beat well.

Place pan of milk mixture into IP base.
Slide thermometer probe bracket onto the top edge of pan.
Ensure probe tip is well into the milk, but not touching bottom of pot.
Don’t cover yet.

Set thermometer’s alarm for 180 if you have one, otherwise you must monitor temp yourself.
Press Sauté on IP, which keeps the heat at high until you press cancel.
I use a steel hamburger type of spatula to stir because it’s good at scaping the bottom of the pan.
The less you stir the more likely a hard scum of burnt milk will build up on the bottom.

Stir often at first and continuously as it gets hotter, often scrapping bottom of pan to prevent build up of burnt milk.
As mixture gets hotter stir more often; I stir continuously after it reaches 100 or so.
FWIW, it takes around 30 minutes to heat from 39 to 180.

When temp reaches180 press CANCEL to turn off the heat.

Pour milk into a separate clean metal pot for cooling while you clean the burnt milk from the bottom of the IP pot. Be sure to dry IP pan thoroughly, especially the bottom of the pan for proper heat transfer. When incubating the IP keeps the bottom of the pan at 110, but if there’s burnt milk scum I wonder if that layer insulates and prevents the mixture from reaching 110. That’s why I clean the pan while mixture is cooling.

To cool mixture remove pan from base and float it in sink or large mixing bowl of room temp water, stir often.
Adding ice to the water speeds up cooling.
(I don’t add ice any more because I need that time to wash away the burnt milk film from the IP pan.)

When milk cools to 110, remove probe and bracket.
Add 2 or 3 Tbsp starter greek yogurt either from your last batch, or new yogurt.
Mix well with beaters.
Put into IP base, and cover with gasket removed.
Ensure steam release knob is in the venting position, IOW fully CCW.

Press Yogurt button, which keeps the temp at 110.
Press + button until the incubation time reads 15 hours, or whatever you prefer.
Then leave it alone to incubate, don’t stir.

Incubation time may be from 12-24 hours.
More incubation time makes it thicker and more tart, less time makes it less tart but more runny.

I think it’s not good to put very hot stuff into the fridge, so when finished incubating I let it cool down to room temp in sink/pot of water.
Place on bottom of the fridge (it’s coldest there) overnight till temp has dropped to low 40s; Mid 30s is even better because the colder it is the less yogurt solids will fall through the strainer and go to waste.

Transfer to Greek Yogurt strainer; cover and refrigerate.
You can control how thick vs. runny the greek yogurt is by adjusting the time it is left in the greeting strainer.
The longer it strains the thicker it will be.
I prefer straining for 24 hours, which results in a half gallon each of whey and “Greegurt”, LOL
Discard whey (unless you care to Google up some uses for it) and transfer Greek yogurt to a covered 1/2 gallon storage tub.

Hi Kenny. Many thanks for the detailed instructions (this will be the first time I am making yogurt, so detailed is good)! I am really looking forward making my own yogurt...YAY!:appl:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope you enjoy!
I forgot to mention ...

Instant Pots come in different sizes and feature sets.
Ours is a 6-quart model with a yogurt button (I think some don't have a yogurt button).
Also there is a line inside on the side of the inner pot that is the maximum fill line.
Make sure it's safe to put 4 pts of liquid in yours, or adjust the recipe.

Originally I wondered, "Why the two temperatures?"
Why not save time and use 110, or 180 for the whole time, or 145 - right in the middle.
The reason for the two temps is, some kinds of bacteria are good and nutritions; some other bacteria is bad and dangerous.
We need to kill one but grow the other.

First 180 kills any bad bacteria in the milk.
Then 110 is the Goldilocks temp for growing the good bacteria in the starter.
(Over 110 would kill the good bacteria in the starter.)

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I meant quarts.
Darn auto correct. :angryfire:

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hope you enjoy!
I forgot to mention ...

Instant Pots come in different sizes and feature sets.
Ours is a 6-quart model with a yogurt button (I think some don't have a yogurt button).
Also there is a line inside on the side of the inner pot that is the maximum fill line.

Originally I wondered, "Why the two temperatures?"
Why not save time and use 110, or 180 for the whole time, or 145 - right in the middle.
The reason for the two temps is, some kinds of bacteria are good and nutritions; some other bacteria is bad and dangerous.
We need to kill one but grow the other.

First 180 kills any bad bacteria in the milk.
Then 110 is the Goldilocks temp for growing the good bacteria in the starter.
(Over 110 would kill the good bacteria in the starter.)

Hi kenny, I am learning a lot from you. Mine is a 6-qt model with the yogurt button too and my Greek yogurt strainer is scheduled to be here today! Thank you for your help!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey:

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I meant quarts.
Darn auto correct. :angryfire:
Success! This is the BEST Greek yogurt that we have ever had, and the perfect recipe! I will be making this every few days as my family and I love it and it is so good for us. Thank you, again Kenny for your help!:appl:

yogurt.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results