shape
carat
color
clarity

Private School: mandatory, would be nice, or never? Why?

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
"Her students have come back to her years later thanking her for being such a wonderful influence on them even though they only spend one year with her. It's not simply about the curriculum. It's about the heart and soul that many teachers put into their jobs, whether it's public or private."

Amen.

Weeks before he died, my father was in a local restaurant where he was approached by a middle-aged man and his family. The man asked my dad if he was Mr. X, and Dad said "yes", and the man proceeded to thank him for teaching him, not only the course work, but how to be a better person. He credited my dad with having a great influence on his success in life.

My father was a special education teacher. The man who thanked him had been a problem child. A boy with issues, both emotional and educational. He wasn't really special ed, but he had been tossed into that mix because no one wanted to take the time to reach him. Until my dad.

My father spent all of his 30+ years in education in the public school system, with the exception of his first two years. Those were spent in a state school for thrown-away boys and girls. Dad preferred to spend his time teaching to those who seemed to need him the most. He had many former pupils tell him how much he meant to them. One former student was the first entry on Dad's online memorial guest book, and wrote a very heartfelt eulogy.

That's why teachers teach. They want to reach kids and make a difference. You can find the good ones in public and private schools alike. Money can't buy an education. It only buys a diploma. Real learning, whether academic or lessons in character, happen in all types of schools.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I posted something earlier, but after reading thought it would be better for me to clarify my choice of school for DD:

DD will be graduating high school in June. Since the day she was born I learned not to second guess myself whenever it came to decisions DH and I had made on her behalf. Each child posseses a unique personality and I needed to understand DD's personality to make sure whatever decisions made on her behalf would benefit her, not me or DH. Luckily, we live in an area that has many great schools, but nonetheless, we had to find the best fit for her, just as she had to find the best "college fit" for her. (Even private schools offer "scholarships" for those children they want in their schools.- just throwing this out there)

So Cuso, when you say you want the best for your children in terms of education think very hard about what it is you are looking for. Kids who are free thinkers, those who have their nose in a book and love to memorize things, problem solvers, creative thinkers, etc. You may just find that depending on your child they may each attend different schools to find the best fit. For example, DD hates memorization and she is very hands on and loves to figure things out. She will take things apart and put them back together with a better understanding on how it works. Math and physics (science in general) are a breeze for her, but sitting a reading a textbook is annoying and stressful to her. She is a hands on and visual learner and for her the public school offered her the ability to learn in her own way. Private was too structured for her.

That is all I have to say, except.... Happy New Year Everyone!!! :wavey:

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
My daughter's elementary school was rated a 9 and her high school a 10. I was a divorced parent who was struggling to keep my child in this school system. It did not work well for her. She quit high school three months prior to graduation. I was an involved, educated and stable parent. She was a troubled child. She spent some time, prior to the divorce, in private school. She did much better in that environment. Maybe it was the divorce and her relationship with her father and his third wife, which contributed to poor academic performance, but I don't think that told the whole story. I had her in therapy and she didn't want any part of it. Fortunately, in her early twenties, she obtained her high school diploma and took her college boards. She did this on her own. She did very well. She entered college and excelled. She was given scholarships, for which she never applied. Her professors put her name up for them. I believe that her college recognized something in her that her private school did. She was [and is] a unique person who learned by being challenged to use her considerable skills and strengths, but the teacher needed to be willing to understand her and work with her. She is inspired by creative, gifted and caring mentors. So am I. I tried to find her what she needed in high school and I failed. I was faced with a "we know what is best" attitude. Many children did very well in that school district. What do we do with children who need something different. They are not behavioral problems. They are not in the "system." They are simply gifted and follow their own path.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn't read all of the posts b/c my head started to hurt but how sad that people have to lie to their friends in order to keep these "friends." :nono: Not the kind of company I would want to keep.

On the private vs. public school debate I think it depends on the kid and depends on the schools. I went to public school k-8th and a private high school. My family moved out of state and the public HS was too large, too rough, and did not fit my specific needs. Instead I went to an all-girls' private school which helped me thrive, gain confidence, and independence. For me, that was the RIGHT choice. I actually really enjoyed single sexed education and think for girls, it is a very healthy experience. Luckily my parents are flexible in their parenting and didn't make any "set in stone" decisions when I was a toddler. Schools and children change. I have no idea where my daughter will attend HS. I only know that I will assess her development and the available schools when the time comes.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1293822269|2811043 said:
<-------------------------------

DITTO THIS

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
CUSO|1293678843|2809533 said:
if i were trying to impress you I would go to the safety deposit box and show you the good stuff, or show you the picture of me wearing a 60k watch wearing a 300 shirt in Dubai sitting in my Ferrari.

You got it all wrong. I don't resent money...I'm just not impressed with material objects.

What impressess me? EXCELLENT books and movies. I also really love GREAT BEER. Tell me you are affilated with Red Hook Brewery and I will bow down to you. hahaha I would send my kids to beer-brewing school at age 21 if there was such a thing available!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results