shape
carat
color
clarity

Priscilla of Boston?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hawaii_justine

Rough_Rock
Has anyone ever seen this dress or one like it before? Your thoughts? Ever heard of Priscilla of Boston? Any thoughts owuld be great. Thank you Justine

mainpage_photo_2.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have heard of Priscilla of Boston. They made my bridal veil 27 years ago ;-).

PS-The coat reminds me of the gown Sophie Rhys-Jones wore when she married Prince Edward.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is a beautiful dress..I like the way the cuffs are cut by her hands...
wacko.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Priscilla of Boston has beautiful stuff. They have a huge website, you can surf around and look at all their dresses. That is actually a 2 piece ensemble, they sell the coat separately I believe. I love that picture...was considering something like the coat as well but looser weave, but its too fancy for our Hawaii wedding. The thing is their items are super expensive, so I would never consider buying from them. Even a simple slip dress is at least $3-4k. They are beautiful though.

gwillban

Rough_Rock
I've seen the dress. It's beautiful. I bought a dress from POB in Houston this past year. The company is an old established business that is more traditional than trendy. I think they first came into prominence when one of President Nixons's daughters chose Priscilla to design her gown. I guess she was the Vera Wang of the 60's.

The Houston salon was elegant and quiet...a haven in the midst of the hustle and bustle of other salons. They had comfy sofas and served you coffee. The sales associate was the one who altered the dress eventually so she knew the bride well, what size to order, what petticoat, all about fabrics, laces, etc. They gave you undivided personal attention. My tension and weariness always dropped when I walked in the door of that salon. (Seriously!) But as someone stated, their dresses are expensive. They aren't made in China for a start and USA made clothing is usually more expensive. The laces are high quality French and the fabrics are silk. It's not a polyester kind of place. Yards and yards of beautiful silk are pricey. If you've never seen a huge ballgown skirt of silk, let me say that the way it flows, and has subtle crumples and highlights is gorgeous. If your budget will allow a higher end dress, I highly recommend you go to a Priscilla of Boston salon to see if they have a style that suits you. I can't sing enough praises about the Houston salon. We spent around $3K and they will offer you discounts if you order when they are having their trunk show sale.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
To be honest, in the scheme of things...$3k for a very well made quality dress is not over the *top*. Many of the designers have $2-3k dresses and not all of them are even worth their salt. I have also seen expensive fancy dresses which look like crap for $5k. Ridiculous. So if you can get something quite well made for $3k, it's not bad, if you have the budget. I think if we were shopping around for something more pricey, I definitely would have considered POB, I love their vast style selection. We also looked at Christos, which had a dress I loved, but a $2k dress for the Hawaii wedding just wasn't flying with me...hee hee. .

redjenn

Rough_Rock
You can get this dress or one really similar from:

http://www.alfredangelo.com/index.cfm

Style 1755LS - it is about $650

Hope this helps.

Jen

mcervania

Rough_Rock
Hi, hawaii_justine,
This is the dress that I want for my wedding, too!
Did you end up purchasing the dress(es)?
Let us know if it worked out for you!
21.gif

jackieblue

Rough_Rock
I tried on a similar dress. Very surprising, and gorgeous! It ended up coming in second or third. It was nothing like what I thought I was looking for, but it was pretty incredible on. The gown underneath was quite simple, but the jacket just made it unbelievable. I think the one I tried was Christina Wu but I am not positive. Definitely give it a close look and try it on.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
My sister's gown was a POB, bought somewhere in a flagship store in NJ. She tried it on and WHAM, that was the one.

The company was excellent to work with, did all the tailoring, prompt, courteous, and very professional. I remember that everything was a smooth as silk, and she even bargained it down... obviously it's a family trait! I think she paid around $2,700 two years ago.

Not bad considering it had intricate beading on the top half, plain satin on the bottom ballgown and it included her alterations. I would recommend them.
10.gif

But I do remember that their bridesmaid dresses where around $400 or so...
14.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results