shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Margaret's Diamond Bracelet For Sale!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Recently I was looking at the late Princess Diana's jewelry on a Royal Jewels thread and getting inspiration for a large pair of pearl drops and I came across the info that when Princess Margaret of the UK died (the queen's sister) her kids sold her jewelry, including a huge tiara called the Poltimore, I think. I was real surprised - I thought it would all stay in the royal family. Anyways, so I googled it and found this bracelet fro sale! Only 95k pounds. About $200k?

https://www.trafalgarjewellers.co.uk/product/bracelets/h-m-the-queens-sister-h-r-h-princess-margarets-victorian-diamond-braceletm1923

I mean, obv I don't have the money to buy it, but if I did, I think it would be pretty cool to have something that she owned. Apparently she lived quite a racy life. Man, if bracelets could talk! Anyway, I thought I'd post it because I think it's unusual - I didn't think the royals ever sold their jewelry, I thought it stayed in the family for all time.

margaret.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Her kids have no titles so maybe they need the money? Not my style.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not only is it her bracelet, but it's the one she wore when meeting the Beatles!

If someone wanted to give me that, I could easily adapt my style. :wink2:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1449598103|3959019 said:
Her kids have no titles so maybe they need the money? Not my style.

She said ... style!

:appl: :lol:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
In June 2006, much of her estate was auctioned by Christie's to meet inheritance tax, though some of the items were sold in aid of charities such as the Stroke Association.[126] A world record price of £1.24 million was set by a Fabergé clock, and the Poltimore tiara, worn for her wedding in 1960, sold for £926,400.[127] The sale of her effects totalled £13,658,000.[127]

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's fascinating, rockinruby. Thanks!

I'm with VRBeauty. I could change my style for that baby. It's got the history, man!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got this book form Amazon.com; it's old - from the Eighties. But it's all about the queen of england's jewelry, and I was reading that some of her pearls go back to Catherine de Medici, and also there was a photo of one of the crowns with this sapphire that is at least one thousand years old.

See, that reminds me why I buy jewelry. Clothes, cars, and most other things we buy wear out. But items of jewelry, even inexpensive ones, can potentially still be worn and enjoyed a thousand years later.

That's my excuse for any jewel-based guilt, and I'm sticking to it. :lol:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's very pretty and I would wear it...but, alas, I don't get to meet too many music legends.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Jambalaya|1449672702|3959345 said:
I got this book form Amazon.com; it's old - from the Eighties. But it's all about the queen of england's jewelry, and I was reading that some of her pearls go back to Catherine de Medici, and also there was a photo of one of the crowns with this sapphire that is at least one thousand years old.

See, that reminds me why I buy jewelry. Clothes, cars, and most other things we buy wear out. But items of jewelry, even inexpensive ones, can potentially still be worn and enjoyed a thousand years later.

That's my excuse for any jewel-based guilt, and I'm sticking to it.
:lol:

What is this strange feeling you speak of? :lol:

Jamba, I was thinking about how much the upkeep must be on those historic properties/estates. Maybe they sold the jewelry for practical reasons? I did read that the royal family considered it vulgar for family members to auction her personal possessions, etc.

Thanks for sharing. :wavey:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya,

Thanks for starting this thread. Reading it the other day lead me to PS Jewelry Pieces > Royal Jewels. A land I'd never entered before, but one in which I found myself wandering for quite some time. Very interesting. :read:

Well, back to my neglected To-Do List!

:wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results