shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess girdle, and other setting questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

urbasic

Rough_Rock
Ok, Ive done some preliminary research but I have a few minor questions:

Girdle thickness: I can figure out all the abbriviations except ''tnsk''. Also I am thinking I should avoid ''very thin'' and ''very thick'' girdles. All things being equal whould you rather have a verythin or a md-sthk? Sorry this girdle thing bugs me.

This is going into some sort of 3 stone platinum setting. My concern is if I get a setting with G-H side stones, how will this look next to my E center?

Right now I seem to be drawn to .93-1.1 ct, I think the E clarity goes well with the platinum.

Egon

Rough_Rock
I would read tn/sk to be thin to slightly thick.

Based on what I have seen have a higher color grade for your side stones is an
okay thing. Afterall, the center stone is the highlight of the piece and you don't
want the side stones to over shadow it.

My .02 anyway.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You can find the diamond you want with a thin, medium, slightly thick to thick girdle. Stay away from extremely thin, very thin, very thick or extremely thick.
The diamond cutters and dealers are going to hate me but they need to learn to stop making these diamonds. I won't sell one unless the customer just has to have it!

urbasic

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the information.

After a little careful prodding, Ive learned that she would atually prefer a rectangular diamond. This is good, it will actually go well with the style settings I have looked at. Also it seems that rectangular princess cuts are a little cheaper per kt then near perfectly square princess cuts.

Is this a bad idea? Will princess with a rectangular symetry sparkle less?

edit:
I noticed that the ideal-scope guy has only ever seen one rectangular princess look great under the scope...

toomanyquestions

Rough_Rock
you may want to look at radiants in that case, as they may be more brilliant than a princess as a rectangle, besides, when the stone is set you won't see the corners. Here is a thread that Rhino explained the different "square" cuts - do some research to find the most "sparkly":

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/differences-between-radiant-flanders-regent-lucere-etc.3819/

Hope this helps.
wink2.gif

barry

Shiny_Rock
The sparkle on a rectangular or square Princess
depends on the Cut. Proper combinations of Table,
Crown, and Pavillion will give you a great looking diamond.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

urbasic

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info

Actually I did notice that superbcert.com does have a nice rectangular princess in the .9-1kt size. It seems to perform well in the various optical tests..

I spent lunch doing more research. I got to thinking, I believe she may really want an emerald cut. Which is in a catagory apart from the sparkle of a round or princess. She likes the cold subtle sleekness of the 3 stone platinum settings. The emerald cut seems to have a subtle grace.
14.gif
Ack! I am back to square one..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results