shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Dimensions

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
I was under the impression that a 1 carat princess should be around 5.5x5.5x3.95, but I was recently told that while most of those out there are around these dimensions, the better cut princesses are smaller and deeper. I haven't seen anything about this out there so I wanted to ask. Is this the case?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
that seems about right, but dimensions can vary. if it is an AGS0 or you have a good looking ASET image I think you are fine.

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
The diamond is an AGS Ideal (synonym for AGS0? I'm new to AGS certs). The particular dimensions are 5.29x5.26x4.06. It just seems rather small for a 1ct princess.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yes that is AGS0 (0 = ideal). It does seem to measure a little smaller than others. Is this diamond online or in a local store? If you are concerned about the size perhaps we can find some alternatives?

also, do you have a link to the diamond or the AGS report number and carat weight?

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
It's in a local store. I don't have the number, but it is 1.00 cts. The other thing is that while it certainly sparkled when I first saw it, when I took it under natural light, it just didn't light up for me the way another diamond that I had picked out did. (Unfortunately the financing didn't go through on that diamond, but I will be getting my student loans in a few months, so that won't be an issse.)

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Have you had an oppurtunity to look at listing from some online vendors? Pricescope has a in house search, you can compare prices from your local jeweler with online prices, which are typically less expensive.

Also you'll need more than just the information on the lab report to get an idea of how this diamond will preform. Can you get the rest of the dimensions from the jeweler?

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
I haven't done any online looking because I am afraid that I wouldn't know what I would be getting. Also, I'm out of town and wouldn't be able to get the other dimensions until Thursday.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Is it possible for them to email you an ASET image of the stone? This will give you an indicator of the light performance of the diamond. It's an AGS0 so obviously not a badly cut stone. Do you remember the color and clarity of the stone?

Buying a stone online isn't for everybody, but you can get alot of additional helpful information, depending on which vendor you choose. For instance Good Old Gold offers ASET imaging, sarin reports, pics and video of the actual diamond that you are purchasing, and graduate gemologist to offer opinion and feedback along the way. James Allen also offers pictures of the actual diamond that you are buying as well as magnified pictures that allows you to see any inperfections in the stone as well as its specific faceting patterns, they too will evaluate the stone for you and offer advice as will White Flash just to name a few.

It's smart to take a look at local shops though and get an idea which shapes, colors and clarity you perfer, but in my opinion once you have educated yourself as to what it is your looking for, to compare what your local jeweler can offer you as opposed to an online vendor.

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
It was a G SI1, although the jeweler couldn't even find where the inclusion was, chalking it up to the brilliance of the diamond.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
jaebond|1309022838|2954853 said:
I haven't done any online looking because I am afraid that I wouldn't know what I would be getting. Also, I'm out of town and wouldn't be able to get the other dimensions until Thursday.

many of the PS vendors provide a great deal of information (images, ASET images, sometimes videos) and have excellent return policies, so I would definitely at least look online to compare to what you are seeing locally.

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
slg47|1309032783|2954945 said:

many of the PS vendors provide a great deal of information (images, ASET images, sometimes videos) and have excellent return policies, so I would definitely at least look online to compare to what you are seeing locally.

Unfortunately, due to the price increases, I'm not sure this will be an option. I will be unable to actually purchase the diamond until October, when my student loans are disbursed, and by then I think even with the online vendors, the prices will be too high. However, my local jeweler will allow me to put a diamond on layaway with a down payment (which I can afford now). I think I will actually save money in the long run by going with a local jeweler. Please let me know if you think I am overreacting to the price increases or if you think I can save money by waiting and going through an online vendor.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
jaebond|1309044303|2955052 said:
slg47|1309032783|2954945 said:

Unfortunately, due to the price increases, I'm not sure this will be an option. I will be unable to actually purchase the diamond until October, when my student loans are disbursed, and by then I think even with the online vendors, the prices will be too high. However, my local jeweler will allow me to put a diamond on layaway with a down payment (which I can afford now). I think I will actually save money in the long run by going with a local jeweler. Please let me know if you think I am overreacting to the price increases or if you think I can save money by waiting and going through an online vendor.

I am not sure about future price increases. What is the price of the stone offered locally? can you compare several AGS0s to pick your favorite? again, if you are concerned about size, see if your local jeweler can find some alternatives with a bigger spread.

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
That stone is between $5500 and $6000. I believe the plan is to find some more stones to take a look at. I have some questions about whether to go with a GIA cert or an AGS cert, but I should probably ask in a new thread (let me know if I should ask them here instead). Do you happen to know if most independent jewelers have to ability to generate an ASET image of a stone?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why not buy an ASET scope and learn how to use it?

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
Stone-cold11|1309053610|2955134 said:

Well, sure, if you want to do it the logical way. :tongue:

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
Stone-cold11|1309053610|2955134 said:

When dealing with a princess, would you suggest also using and Ideal-Scope? Or just the ASET scope?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
For princess, ASET is more useful, unless you want to use the Idealscope to double check for leakage.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results