shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess cut what to look for

Rivendell

Shiny_Rock
What should I be looking for when selecting a princess cut in the 2.5 to 3 carat range? Are there more ideal depth and table size percentages to look for? I have asked for minimum F colour, VS grade, ex, ex, no fluorescence. I will be setting as a solitaire with a pave band. My understanding is 7.5 mm is a reasonable measurement for a 2.5 carat weight stone - is that correct? I also need to look for a stone with good light return. Is there anything else I need to look out for? Thank you.

Q

Queenie60

go to Whiteflash.com (recommended PS vendor) - they have many "A Cut Above" princess diamonds. You're guaranteed to get an excellent stone when you buy one of their branded ACA stones. It is my understanding that Princess cut diamonds are difficult to find with the right parameters. This is the avenue I would take if I were to be in the market for a Princess diamond. Good luck. :wavey:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Rivendell,
7.5mm square is a reasonable goal for a 2.50ct.
But I would not make that aspect a deal breaker- there's a lot of nice stones that spread 7.3mm ie....

It will be great if you can see diamonds in person. Princess Cut in particular presents some unique opportunities- and challenges. AGSL grades the cut of princess cut diamonds. Objectively speaking, the AGSL cut grade is respected. Having said that, there's a wider range of facet designs and proportion sets that many consumers find pleasing. Basically if one likes the look of the AGSL 0 cut grade stone, it makes buying the diamond easier.
But it's a look that is not chosen by everyone who compares to other well cut princess diamonds that would not qualify for AGSL top cut grade (0). It would be easy to assume that if a stone is considered "better cut" it will automatically be prettier- but that's simply not the case when it comes to Princess Cuts in particular.

Rivendell

Shiny_Rock
Rockdiamond|1470169029|4061789 said:
Hi Rivendell,
7.5mm square is a reasonable goal for a 2.50ct.
But I would not make that aspect a deal breaker- there's a lot of nice stones that spread 7.3mm ie....

It will be great if you can see diamonds in person. Princess Cut in particular presents some unique opportunities- and challenges. AGSL grades the cut of princess cut diamonds. Objectively speaking, the AGSL cut grade is respected. Having said that, there's a wider range of facet designs and proportion sets that many consumers find pleasing. Basically if one likes the look of the AGSL 0 cut grade stone, it makes buying the diamond easier.
But it's a look that is not chosen by everyone who compares to other well cut princess diamonds that would not qualify for AGSL top cut grade (0). It would be easy to assume that if a stone is considered "better cut" it will automatically be prettier- but that's simply not the case when it comes to Princess Cuts in particular.

Thanks for your reply. I will be able to see a selection of diamonds. The stones will be GIA - I live in the UK. I already tried on some princess cuts and really liked them. I have an asscher cut but don't like the stone very much and want to find something I love. I chose princess because I like the square shape. The stones will be in the store for me to view next week. I guess if I see the stones and really like the look of them that's all that matters.

Rivendell

Shiny_Rock
Queenie60|1470161539|4061726 said:
go to Whiteflash.com (recommended PS vendor) - they have many "A Cut Above" princess diamonds. You're guaranteed to get an excellent stone when you buy one of their branded ACA stones. It is my understanding that Princess cut diamonds are difficult to find with the right parameters. This is the avenue I would take if I were to be in the market for a Princess diamond. Good luck. :wavey:

Thanks for your reply. I live in the UK so I will be using a store where I can view the diamonds. I also wish to trade in the ring I have now in order to upgrade.

Rivendell

Shiny_Rock
Diamondere_84|1470156295|4061678 said:
hey there
there are many aspects to consider when shopping for a princess cut.
there are certain guidelines but there isn't a DRY RULE what should be the depth % or the table %.it has to be a combination of both, combining the girdle thickness..
that is the reason why you should the stone in your own eyes or have somebody looking at it for you before shopping,
also, you can find a better use for your money if you would go with any clean to the naked eye stone, like a vs2 or an si1 ..
doing so , you would be able to spent the money that you are saving on clarity for a bigger size for example..
have you looked at diamonds before?

Hi thanks for replying to me. I will have chance to see the stones in person and get the opinion of the qualified jeweller who will be making my setting. I would be ok with a vs2 but not an Si grade. Si grade is too low for my tastes and budget is not such an issue. I just want to get a beautiful white sparkly stone. Hopefully one will stand out in the selection I'm shown.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rivendell|1470176172|4061826 said:
Queenie60|1470161539|4061726 said:

Thanks for your reply. I live in the UK so I will be using a store where I can view the diamonds. I also wish to trade in the ring I have now in order to upgrade.

That is fine to shop locally! But I advise you to familiarize yourself with what ideal cut princess cut stones look like so you are better prepared to choose a well cut one. There are few stones that are very well cut in any shape. So it is wise to be educated on how to choose the best cut stone.

There are videos below the main picture of each stone and that should really help you see what the stones look like.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-3358635.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-3587345.htm

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rivendell|1470176896|4061833 said:
...I just want to get a beautiful white sparkly stone...
First: I love your username. I'm a tremendous fan of middle-earth, with a bonus long-standing affection for the music of Rush.

To the point: DiamondSeeker has provided good input. Please be aware that, unlike round brilliants, there is no accountability for cut-quality in common grading of Princess Cuts. Carat, Color and Clarity are largely reliable if you stay with a reputable lab (GIA anywhere in the world as well as HRD or IGI Antwerp in the UK). Thus you can find the "white" rather easily by going with a colorless or near-colorless grade... But your desire for sparkle - arguably the MOST important component of diamond beauty - is dependent on cutting details. As insane as it sounds, those details are completely undisclosed and unaccounted-for in the given lab metrics.

There are some basic guidelines we can offer but things like table and depth % are only as useful as giving "height and weight" parameters in the quest for a mail-order spouse ;-) What truly matters, and the finer details and things that cause you to fall in love, go far beyond the data on any grading report.

Rivendell

Shiny_Rock
John Pollard|1470200582|4061970 said:
First: I love your username. I'm a tremendous fan of middle-earth, with a bonus long-standing affection for the music of Rush.

To the point: DiamondSeeker has provided good input. Please be aware that, unlike round brilliants, there is no accountability for cut-quality in common grading of Princess Cuts. Carat, Color and Clarity are largely reliable if you stay with a reputable lab (GIA anywhere in the world as well as HRD or IGI Antwerp in the UK). Thus you can find the "white" rather easily by going with a colorless or near-colorless grade... But your desire for sparkle - arguably the MOST important component of diamond beauty - is dependent on cutting details. As insane as it sounds, those details are completely undisclosed and unaccounted-for in the given lab metrics.

There are some basic guidelines we can offer but things like table and depth % are only as useful as giving "height and weight" parameters in the quest for a mail-order spouse ;-) What truly matters, and the finer details and things that cause you to fall in love, go far beyond the data on any grading report.

Great advice thank you. It's making me confident that if I love the look of the stone that's the important thing. I'll also be careful to check how it looks in daylight not just in the bright shop lights.

Rivendell

Shiny_Rock
John Pollard|1470200582|4061970 said:

Great advice thank you. It's making me confident that if I love the look of the stone that's the important thing. I'll also be careful to check how it looks in daylight not just in the bright shop lights.

Rivendell

Shiny_Rock
I've been to look at some stones today and have a couple more questions.

1) Is it more sought after for the stone to be as square as possible or is it a matter or personal preference?

2) Am I correct in thinking it's preferable to have a table% which is less than the depth%?

I am hoping some of the experts here can give their valued opinions on the above points.

Thank you.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rivendell|1471382844|4066671 said:
1) Is it more sought after for the stone to be as square as possible or is it a matter or personal preference?
I'm not an expert :tongue: but in my noob opinion, Princess stones should be as square as possible, yes, although some small variation is always inevitable. :))

Rivendell

Shiny_Rock
Sorry bumped by mistake! I chose a stone I will post pics when it's all set.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results