shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Cut Questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

student2

Rough_Rock
I am trying to decide between a few diamonds and I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions. They are all Princess Cuts and I feel like they are fairly high quality stones. I'd really like to get a nice diamond and maybe sacrifice a little bit of size. Here are the stones and my concerns:

1. 0.71c, E, VS2, GIA cert.
5.38x4.81x3.28 mm
depth-68.2, table-72%
Girdle Ex. Thin to Medium
VG Polish, G Symmetry
$2800
I'm worried about the 1.12 length-width ratio on this stone. I'm also a little concerned about the girdle being ex. thin. Can some one tell me if that is a problem or a big mark against the stone. This is the one I'm leading towards right now.

2. 0.76c, E, VS1, GIA cert.
5.17x4.93x3.61
depth-73.2, table-72
Girdle - Medium to Thick
VG Polish, G Symmetry
$3600
This stone is georgeous just expensive. Can anyone justify paying this much compared to the other diamonds?

3. 0.75c, D, SI1, EGL cert
5.10x5.09x3.63
depth-71.3, table 78
Girdle Thin
VG Polish, G Symmetry
7% crown height, 62% pavillion depth
$2500
The EGL cert scares me away, especially on an SI1 clarity. Also, to me the cutlet appeared to be a little off center. Should I be worried about the cert and will the cutlet affect the mounted look of the stone?

4. 0.71c, D, VS1, EGL cert
5.08x4.82
depth-72, table-81
G Polish, VG Symmetry
$2,950
Again, the cert is bothersome but not too much since I know that it will not contain any visible inclusions and a D in EGL shouldn't fall below F in GIA I'm assuming. The table size is a concern. Should I be worried about that if the stone looks good?

Thanks for helping me out.

JayTee

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 12/7/2002 5:14:40 PM

I am trying to decide between a few diamonds and I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions. They are all Princess Cuts and I feel like they are fairly high quality stones. I'd really like to get a nice diamond and maybe sacrifice a little bit of size. Here are the stones and my concerns:

Although I'm actually looking for a different type of stone, I've been going with a friend who is looking for the same type of stone as you are, so let me see if I can remember some of the things he's been told/taught.

1. 0.71c, E, VS2, GIA cert.
Girdle Ex. Thin to Medium

Everything else seems to look good on this stone. I too would be concerned about the Ex.Thin rating, but what you need to do is take a good look around the stone's girdle and see how much of it is Ex. Thin and what the variance is. Also make sure that it not Ex. Thin at the corners, where the stone will be mounted, to prevent possible chipping

2. 0.76c, E, VS1, GIA cert.

5.17x4.93x3.61

depth-73.2, table-72

Girdle - Medium to Thick

VG Polish, G Symmetry

$3600

This stone is georgeous just expensive. Can anyone justify paying this much compared to the other diamonds?

A quick search on Pricescope shows that you're paying a little extra for this stone, but if it is what you like . . .you have to be the judge. It is rated a VS1 by GIA, which seems to be better than your other choices, so if clarity is a big concern from you. . . do the other stones have any inclusions which bother you? If not, then go with another stone.

3. 0.75c, D, SI1, EGL cert

5.10x5.09x3.63

depth-71.3, table 78

Girdle Thin

VG Polish, G Symmetry

7% crown height, 62% pavillion depth

$2500

The EGL cert scares me away, especially on an SI1 clarity. Also, to me the cutlet appeared to be a little off center. Should I be worried about the cert and will the cutlet affect the mounted look of the stone?

4. 0.71c, D, VS1, EGL cert

5.08x4.82

depth-72, table-81

G Polish, VG Symmetry

$2,950

Again, the cert is bothersome but not too much since I know that it will not contain any visible inclusions and a D in EGL shouldn't fall below F in GIA I'm assuming. The table size is a concern. Should I be worried about that if the stone looks good?

In my friend's experience, you just don't want to have the table cut above 80%. Several people seemed to echo that.

Thanks for helping me out.

Hope that helps.
----------------

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results