shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Cut Garry Holloway

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BreenCP

Rough_Rock
A local jeweler wants to sell me this ring for $2,700 ....4.61 x 3.99 x 3.24 mm
.52 carat
Depth 81.2%
Table 85%
Girdle: Medium to Very Thick
Culet: None
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Clairy: VS2
Charateristics: Feather
Color: E
Fluorescence: NoneI'm having a difficult time determing the cut grade according to AGA David Atlas's Princess cut charts as different characterists fall in 2A, 3A, and 3B ranges. But even a 3B cut with same 4'Cs has an average selling price of $1,438 on PriceScope. The Jeweler states that since it is a "Garry Holloway" cut, they are unable to negotiate with the price.I very much like the stone, and the many services that come with it, but I don't want to pay an extra $1,300!!! Somebody please tell me what I'm missing here..... I'm so confused!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
BreenCP,

There is some confusion here. There ia no Garry Holloway Princess cut as well as any other fancy cuts of his name. Garry system of asessing the proportions only can be applied to round cut diamonds.

Could it be some other brand name princess cut?

Based only on the table and total depth this diamond belongs to 3B AGA grade. The grade should be chosen by the worst parameter, i.e. table.

My main concern is that this diamond is deep hence will look smaller for its weight while cost more.

Does this diamond have grading report?

The price really sounds twice much than you cen get.

Take a look at these two better proportioned diamonds from Mondera:

0.52 E VS2 72% 68% GIA $1255

0.52 E VS2 66.6% 81% GIA $1337

For $2,700 you can get 0.7-E-VS1-GIA from Mondera

or this one from Blue Nile:

0.71 E VS2 76.3% 73% GIA $2640

Just some thoughts...

Keep us posted

BreenCP

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your reply, as it was very helpful. I will confirm with the jeweler about the so called "Holloway" cut but I'm rather positive that her exact words were; "because it is a Holloway cut I am not allowed to offer a discount."It does have a grading report. It looks identical to those posted online at USA Certed Diamonds. It's GIA Report # is 1087636 and that is where I got all the info posted in my first msg. I noticed www.USACertedDiamonds.com did have a diagram showing where the inclusions were, underneath the GIA Certificate. Should my local jeweler have that as well?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Yes please check about the name - it sounds weird...The fact that it has GIA report is good. At least you can be more certain about color and clarity.GIA report usually shows the plot of inclusions. That helps you to identify the diamond. However you should only be able to see very slight inclusions in the VS2 clarity diamond with 10x loupe.Ask the seller to point you the inclusions in the diamonds and on the GIA report map.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This diamond is a little deep, and the table could be smaller too. I think with a little time and effort you could buy a nicer diamond at a better price. The net will offer you the lowest prices, but some want a local jeweler to work with. I think you should have a local jeweler, just arm yourself with more info, and look for a jeweler that may be a little more competitive. They can also show you several diamonds and you don't have to put a dime up.Good luck in your hunt, and as a general rule I would look for mid 70's on table and depth for a princess cut.------------------

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It may the best stone you can find locally with the "Garry" cut, but it would appear you could not only spend a bit less, but get a better cut stone at the same time...Keep shopping, I'd suggest.------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
BreenCP,If you're willing to take a little roadtrip, you could go see Steve L in Columbia, SC. He knows what he's doing.
www.demsjewelers.com As one of his customers, I can give him a great reference! Email me if you want more information.
smile.gif
lawmax

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results