shape
carat
color
clarity

Prince Phillip says the darndest things . . .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... a few ...

‘Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaining they are unemployed.’ Said at the height of the recession in 1981.

‘We go into the red next year. I shall probably have to give up polo.’ On the Royal Family’s finances in 1969.

‘You are a woman, aren’t you?’ To a Kenyan woman in 1984, after accepting a state gift.

‘When a man opens the car door for his wife, it’s either a new car or a new wife.’

More . . . http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2001251/As-Prince-Philip-turns-90-relive-hilarious-gaffes.html#ixzz1OoHKFXe1

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
His comment on what the Cantonese will eat was hilarious. Not COMPLETELY true, but still so funny.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1307713943|2942470 said:
‘When a man opens the car door for his wife, it’s either a new car or a new wife.’
Not gonna lie - this one made me chuckle

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
He's a pip alright!! LOL...

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
I found a lot of them to be quite funny. :cheeky:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
He's 90. It's a tad too late to become PC.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, he's funny.
He and the Queen are quite a love story, they met when she was thirteen and he was eighteen and she decided that she didn't want to marry anyone else. Her family (particularly her father) did not like the idea at all since he was a VERY poor relation and had nothing in particular to offer her. However, they waited it out and he made good in the army and then were finally able to tie the knot. Then she ascended to the throne much sooner than expected, her father died quite young and they had all the stresses and strains of that but have managed quite well. He gave up his career completely and quite graciously does the thing of walking several steps behind her--my mother has seen them several times and says it looks so interesting, because he is very tall and long-legged and she is very short, but he still manages to stay behind and also looks very protective of her somehow.
When they got married he had to give up his title (not that it meant anything real of Prince Philip of Greece) and became the Duke of Edinburgh. He was not a Prince again for about ten years at which point the Queen granted him that title and also make it so that he had precedence (meaning that he gets to walk in front of) Prince Charles, even though Charles as the next heir to the throne actually ranks higher than he does. Or at least that's what she says and she tends to know things like that.
One of his funniest comments, though rather sad is the one he made when it was made clear to him that his children would have to have a different last name. I don't remember it exactly, but it was something like, "What am I, a bloody amoeba? I'm the only man in Great Britain whose children don't get to have my name."
But the children do all call themselves Mountbatten-Windsor (his family's name since WWI--change from Battenberg combined with her family name since world War I, change from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.)
It's over fifty years and no one has ever been able to find him cheating on her or anything even to close to it--and with the current way the newspapers behave, you know that they would find it if they could--they would LOVE that. Too bad that some of his children didn't pick up on that particular value, even if they do know how to express themselves MUCH more nicely--it really does seem that absolutely anything and everything comes out of the man's mouth.
He was very brave during the war.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
HA, some of those are amazing. My favorite was the one about the fashion designer's beard not being well-designed.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I've heard that he knows exactly what he is saying on the whole and part of the reason he does it is to deflect any possible critiscm of the Queen.

They obviously totally adore each other and he has been an amazing consort for all these years - especially considering that they didn't imagine that she would ascend the throne as soon as she did.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results