shape
carat
color
clarity

Pride and Prejudice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Just wondering...is anyone else as enchanted with the latest version of this classic as I am?

I don''t even want to admit how many times I''ve seen it.
20.gif
Keira Knightley and Matthew Whosit
30.gif
are so great in it.

I even went out and bought and read the book! Loved it too. (I read it in HS and thought it was a chore..)

Hmmm...if this thread dies a quick death, I''ll have my answer: I''m weird! LOL

widget

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
not a fan of that period pieces from that era: but i loved that film!

the day i saw it there were lots of very young girls and women with their mothers.....i mean groups. i really dislike a theatre filled with children due to the talking, etc. they are prone to do during movies. however, this movie had them in their seats the entire time, not one word uttered, a gasp when it was appropriate....and get this: applause at the end of the movie!!!!!

i was entirely enchanted with the movie and the audience.

movie zombie

Aurelia

Shiny_Rock
Widget,

I absolutely LOVE this book & the movie too! So if you''re wierd, so am I
41.gif

Aurelia

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE the book. Couldn''t watch the Keira version...I didn''t think it was very true to the book at all. I started it but never finished. I own it too. The one to watch is the BBC version with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth. I just loved loved loved that one and I''ve seen it countless times...pretty good considering it''s like 6 hours long!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
widget,

I have not seen the most recent "Pride and Prejudice" nor have I seen many of the other recent films based on Jane Austen books. I am one of that exclusive club of women who loved Jane Austen before she became the rage again. I am part of a sisterhood who searched for books to read, "after you've read Jane Austen". (I believe that Emily Eden and Georgette Heyer are the answer, or at least part of it.)

Mark Twain is reported to have said that it was a wonder that "that woman" (Miss Austen) was allowed to die a natural death. I take that to mean that few men appreciate her comedies of manners.

Deb
34.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the tip, TG....I'll definitely try to rent it. I bet Colin Firth makes a fine Darcy.
3.gif

I am glad to know I'm not entirely alone...it's like at a very ripe old age, I've 'discovered" Jane Austen! Better late than never, I guess...

MZ...I LOVE period movies...ANY period other than this one...

widget

ETA: hi Deb...I'm loving the book so much I definitely plan to read more. Next up: Sense and Sensibility..

elle

Shiny_Rock
The Keria Knightly movie was entertaining but not truwe to the story so I prefer the BBC movie too - if you like the story Widget, watch the BBC version - so much more elegant.

It''s also intertesting how many sequels to the novel have come up too! I read the Excessively Diverted one - entertaining but it wasn''t entirely Austen''s style.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read the book many years ago and loved it. I did recently rent the movie and really enjoyed it, too!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read Emma at that time but I hardly remember what it was about now. I never read Sense and Sensibility. Let us know how you like it.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Read those all her books as a kid and reread them while travelling overland from Bangkok to Bali in my early 20''s--and adored the BBC version, oh so many years later...
2.gif
I own the DVD''s and cannot tell how many times I''ve watched Colin Firth and his puffy shirt!!!

P.S. Has anyone seen the old BBC version of ''Persuasion'' with Cirian Hinds? Love it too!

cheers--Sharon

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2007 9:30:26 PM
Author: widget
Thanks for the tip, TG....I'll definitely try to rent it. I bet Colin Firth makes a fine Darcy.
3.gif

I am glad to know I'm not entirely alone...it's like at a very ripe old age, I've 'discovered' Jane Austen! Better late than never, I guess...

MZ...I LOVE period movies...ANY period other than this one...

widget

ETA: hi Deb...I'm loving the book so much I definitely plan to read more. Next up: Sense and Sensibility..
Colin Firth makes a SMOLDERING Darcy. I wasn't a Firth Fan until the BBC P&P. They have this version at Costco lately...I think it's worth it to buy if you are a P&P fan. It will be interesting to see if you like it, as it's LONG and includes a lot of the less exciting bits of the story (i.e. the parts where Colin Firth aren't in it...hehehe). Wickham gives me the icks in that version.

I agree with Elle that the BBC version is so much more elegant. That is why I couldn't watch the KK version...Keira was just not Elizabeth Bennet. She was more in your face than Jennifer Ehle's interpretation. Ehle was more refined, subdued, but still spirited. I still should watch the rest of the KK version, since I own it and all.

I also thought Mrs. Bennet and Ms. Bingley were so well cast in the BBC version.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s a cheaper price than Costco....
36.gif

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
I love ALL things Jane Austen.... my wedding shower this past weekend was actually a Jane Austen-themed tea party!!
30.gif

My best friend/MOH and I share the obsession... it is just the ultimate escape. Whether we are stressed or sad or anxious or bored, our solution has always been to pop in one of the movies and brew a cup of tea... and then wait for the calm to descend.
1.gif
When my friend moved into her new apartment, she actually made the spare bedroom the "Jane Austen room"!

I rotate through all the movies... the new P&P is a really good condensed version, but it took me awhile to appreciate it. Probably because I was so loyal to the BBC one with Jennifer Ehle, and I didn't like how closely Keira Knightley seemed to be imitating her style. But the soundtrack is phenomenal!

And we can frequently be heard asking each other "WWJD".... what would Jane do, of course!
9.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Anyone seen "Bride and Prejudice" based on Pride and Prejudice, set in India? Pride and Prejudice is my all time favorite book.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2007 8:11:46 PM
Author:widget
Just wondering...is anyone else as enchanted with the latest version of this classic as I am?

I don''t even want to admit how many times I''ve seen it.
20.gif
Keira Knightley and Matthew Whosit
30.gif
are so great in it.

I even went out and bought and read the book! Loved it too. (I read it in HS and thought it was a chore..)

Hmmm...if this thread dies a quick death, I''ll have my answer: I''m weird! LOL

widget
I haven''t seen it... I have the 7 or 8 volume set with colin firth... ::sigh:: I don''t want to like anyone else for it!!!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/21/2007 10:05:18 PM
Author: justjulia
Anyone seen ''Bride and Prejudice'' based on Pride and Prejudice, set in India? Pride and Prejudice is my all time favorite book.
HI JJ:

Actually, yes at an arthouse theatre in town. Had frogotten that until now!

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I may order the similar versions of Emma and Sense and Sensibility while I''m ordering. I really prefer movies like this. They allow you to escape to a more pleasant, civil world. Many of the movies made in today''s time period are too reality based and graphic for me!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/21/2007 10:04:32 PM
Author: ephemery1
My best friend/MOH and I share the obsession... it is just the ultimate escape. Whether we are stressed or sad or anxious or bored, our solution has always been to pop in one of the movies and brew a cup of tea...

And we can frequently be heard asking each other ''WWJD''.... what would Jane do, of course!
9.gif
HI:

Excellent! Do you know what I did the evening following my thesis defense whereby I was finally "free" to enjoy an evening without researching, studying and untold stress? Watched P & P with a bottle of champagne.............

cheers--Sharon

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2007 9:50:39 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Here you go, Widget:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005MP58/ref=reg_hu-wl_item-added/104-1694147-8095901
Thanks, ds!

Well...I just left Amazon...I forgot what a bargain they are!
36.gif
I ordered the BBC version DVD of P&P, and S&S...both DVD and book.

I never liked the G. Paltrow movie "Emma", or the modern version with whats-her-name (can't remember the name of the movie, either...Senior moment underway
20.gif
)

Would I like "Emma" the book?

widget

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Love, love, love the 2005 version of P&P with Keira Knightly and Matthew MacFayden. I saw a tabloid with a picture of Keira and her boyfriend of 2 years--- the actor who played Mr. Wickham. Very handsome actors in that film. Even Mr. Collins wasn''t too bad looking!
2.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2007 10:26:44 PM

Date: 2/21/2007 9:50:39 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Here you go, Widget:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005MP58/ref=reg_hu-wl_item-added/104-1694147-8095901
Thanks, ds!

Well...I just left Amazon...I forgot what a bargain they are!
36.gif
I ordered the BBC version DVD of P&P, and S&S...both DVD and book.

I never liked the G. Paltrow movie ''Emma'', or the modern version with whats-her-name (can''t remember the name of the movie, either...Senior moment underway
20.gif
)

Would I like ''Emma'' the book?

widget
you may like it as long as you don''t expect to see a heroine like Elizabeth Bennet. Emma is a different personality. I did like the book, but for wit, I just loved P&P.

I didn''t love S&S that much. I believe I have read all the books, including the so-so Northanger Abbey. That one is only amusing because it seems to spoof Charlotte Bronte''s Jane Eyre (or that style of novel anyway). That was one recently done by the BBC as well, but I thought the book was much much better.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore the BBC version of P&P. The book is one of my favorites, and I''ve read the book and watched the BBC version countless times (yes, even though the movie is long!). I thought Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle did a wonderful job portraying Darcy and Elizabeth. I also love that it''s so true to the book.

I liked the Keira Knightley version, but I didn''t watch it with the thought that it would be true to the book, so I just appreciated it on its own merits. I agree that Jennifer Ehle makes a more realistic Elizabeth than Keira Knightley, although Keira''s closer to the right age.

I actually didn''t like the Bride and Prejudice version at all. Didn''t feel that there was any chemistry between Darcy and Lalita, and the characters were so annoying. I couldn''t stand the Mr. Collins character.

widget

Ideal_Rock

I never liked the G. Paltrow movie ''Emma'', or the modern version with whats-her-name (can''t remember the name of the movie, either...Senior moment underway
20.gif
)
I got it! Alicia Silverstone in "Clueless"!

tweety

Rough_Rock
Hi! I have been roaming on the board for some time now. I normally don''t post, but I just have to chime in today.... I LOVE LOVE LOVE Jane Austen, especially P&P... I have to say, of all the 3 versions, I like the second BBC version the best.... Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle are perfect together. Actually, if I am not mistaken, Colin Firth was voted the sexiest man alive in Great Britain the year after the series was released. :) Oh yes, how can anyone not love Colin Firth.... *wink*

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I heard Firth and Ehle had some off screen romance while filming, which may explain the on screen chemistry...

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2007 10:56:11 PM
Author: Kim N
I adore the BBC version of P&P. The book is one of my favorites, and I''ve read the book and watched the BBC version countless times (yes, even though the movie is long!). I thought Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle did a wonderful job portraying Darcy and Elizabeth. I also love that it''s so true to the book.

I liked the Keira Knightley version, but I didn''t watch it with the thought that it would be true to the book, so I just appreciated it on its own merits. I agree that Jennifer Ehle makes a more realistic Elizabeth than Keira Knightley, although Keira''s closer to the right age.

I actually didn''t like the Bride and Prejudice version at all. Didn''t feel that there was any chemistry between Darcy and Lalita, and the characters were so annoying. I couldn''t stand the Mr. Collins character.
True about B&P-dh and I just love the dance numbers, though. It is annoying that every time it comes on (tv) I have to explain every nuance to dh, since he has not read the book yet--which he will have to do (and says he will-but can''t seem to finish-is this a man thing?). It''s pure eye candy, this tv version. Wonderful scenery, costumes...very condensed. Marsha Mason--didn''t recognize her (really hadn''t seen since original Goodbye Girl!).

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Widget, I really enjoyed it, too! I thought it was excellent.
1.gif

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/21/2007 8:51:50 PM
Author: TravelingGal
I LOVE the book. Couldn''t watch the Keira version...I didn''t think it was very true to the book at all. I started it but never finished. I own it too. The one to watch is the BBC version with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth. I just loved loved loved that one and I''ve seen it countless times...pretty good considering it''s like 6 hours long!
ooh TG me too - I just couldn''t bring myself to sit and watch a 2 hour version of a 6 hour wonderful enchanting ...utoh - there I go again - giggle....
I too am in love with the A&E version of Pride and Prejudice. I loooooooooove the classic movies. I want the sound track to this movie...nights I cannot go to sleep I put it on and the soft music that is almost constant, lulls me to sleep. I actually just watched it again for probably the 100th time, while I was sick.
Have any of you seen Sense and Sensibility? Hugh Grant and Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet....awesome :}:}:}
I also have Emma- but the one with Gweneth Paltrow.
I have the BBC version of Jane Eyre with Timothy Dalton....and I also have the BBC version of Persuasion...oh and I have Nicholas Nickleby with Anne Hatheway...so yes, I am a classic Book movie freak giggle... There are still other versions of these movies put out too.
I may try to be brave one day and see the newest Pride and Prejudice...but 2 hours only? Not even long enuff to swoon over Mista Dawcy :D giggle...a little of my English roots coming out there...poor Strm his one contender - Mista Dawcy...hmmmm maybe the beautiful eyed Miss Bennett will keep his attention long enuff so that he will watch it with me - giggle :}

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/21/2007 10:56:11 PM
Author: Kim N

oooooh Kim...are you referring to the Mr Caullins in the BBC Version? Isn''t he just the repulsive? giggle... I too would be as his wife says, "Encourage him in that also" to get him out of my view - lol...And the scene where he is eating and sounding like a pig!!! Have mercy!!! No wonder Myra looked at him in disgust! lol

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results