shape
carat
color
clarity

Pride and Prejudice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/22/2007 8:55:02 AM
Author: wifey2b

I have the BBC version of Jane Eyre with Timothy Dalton....
HI:

Another favorite of mine--he is so young here and perfectly cast. The movie is quite ''dark''--and imo very true to the book.

cheers--Sharon

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I bought the P&P book about a year ago, but school and work have prevented me from finishing it...
7.gif
I''ll probably rent the newest and the BBC movies sometime!

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
Oh, how happy I was to find this thread! I enjoyed the latest P&P more than I thought I would, but the BBC version is sooooo fabulous. Add me to the list of folk who watch it over and over and over (its permanently saved on my tivo).

And I really want to recommend "Persuasion" with Ciaran Hinds and Amanda Root. Such an elegant, true movie (and very true to the book). I never bore watching it either (and its easier to do so at 2 hours vs 6 for BBC P&P!).

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/21/2007 8:51:50 PM
Author: TravelingGal
I LOVE the book. Couldn't watch the Keira version... The one to watch is the BBC version with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth. I just loved loved loved that one ...pretty good considering it's like 6 hours long!
Same here. I love reading classic literature, and I read the book in the late 1990s, probably around the time they were making the movies, but I don't watch TV and until I got married didn't have a video player, so I was totally unaware of them. (all the Jane Austen flicks) I had a week a few years back where I was totally incapacitated (couldn't hold a book even) , so all I could do was sit and watch videos. Someone who knew I don't like most of the new movies (I'm with Diamondseeker2006 on this: "I really prefer movies like this. They allow you to escape to a more pleasant, civil world. Many of the movies made in today's time period are too reality based and graphic for me!" - although I could put it much more harshly! - Diamondseeker, I can always tell we're somewhat kindred spirits!) recommended P&P (6hr) plus the S&S w/ Kate Winslet and also Emma. I like P&P best of those books and movies. There is a version of Emma w/ Kate Beckinsale (sp?) which is on par with the Gwyneth P. version; they're sort of a tradeoff; some aspects I like better of one, some of another.

For old movie buffs, there is also an old version of P&P with Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier. It's not nearly as 'elegant' as the BBC version, so I think most would prefer that one (BBC). But it has some worthwhile aspects. And although I agree "Colin Firth makes a SMOLDERING Darcy," I thought he almost played it just a little too dark and somber, and I thought Laurence Olivier really captured Mr. Darcy - played the part more what I pictured when I read it - a little lighter.

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/22/2007 9:30:19 AM
Author: canuk-gal

Date: 2/22/2007 8:55:02 AM
Author: wifey2b

I have the BBC version of Jane Eyre with Timothy Dalton....
HI:

Another favorite of mine--he is so young here and perfectly cast. The movie is quite ''dark''--and imo very true to the book.

cheers--Sharon
The closest I have seen...I have seen another version of it lately on PBS...altho good - it too has been shortened.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I was enchanted by the latest P&P with Keira Knightly. She truly deserved an oscar nomination. I wasn't real excited to go; but, it was one of the few movies out that my niece (6th grade) and her mother & I could all see together. It truly delighted her & read the book afterward. She also owns the movie. It delighted me as well to my surprise.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Love P&P myself, own the Keira Knightley remake. Then saw this thread and hied off to Amazon to buy the BBC version. can''t wait to see it!

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
Widget- I am SO with you! I can''t get enough of this movie either! I love the scene where Mr. Darcy follows Elizabeth in the rain and he professes his love for her and she really lets him have it for involving himself in the broken heart of her sister and her failed courtship with his friend. Sigh!

I can''t watch period films over and over. I love Sense and Sensibility, Emma, Much Ado About Nothing, Little Women, etc. etc.

Sigh!
I want to go watch one right now!

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I have Little Women and Little Men too - I would love to find the seasons of Little Men that was done on TV - they were entertaining...tho not to the book I am sure :D
I am a kid at heart as most can already see - I too have Oliver!, Pollyanna, Annie, Oklahoma, State Fair, Carousel, West Side Story, The One and Only Original genuine Family Band, Sound of Music, ...just to know a few of the musicals that I love too :}
Oh yeah - Pollyanna isn''t really a musical altho Halley Mills does sing a song in it. giggle :}

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hee hee, since I started this thread I've been on a Jane Austen feeding frenzy: I've read P&P (twice!), read S&S, and viewed all the videos, including the BBC version of P&P with Jennifer Ehle.

Yes, I loved the BBC version...being so true to the book. Definitelly worth 6 hours viewing!

But I must say that I also loved the organic feel of the recent one: chickens, pigs, hearty family meals, dancing that actually looked like fun...and the sexual energy/vulnerablilty of Macfadyen's Darcy and Knightley's Elizabeth.
30.gif
I wish the newer version had been truer to the book, and six hours long...

widget

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results