shape
carat
color
clarity

Pricing for 1.82 ct F/VS2 GIA XXX round brilliant

atp223

Shiny_Rock
I've offered to help a friend sell his no-longer-being-used engagement ring diamond. It is a 1.82 F/VS2 GIA excellent round brilliant. It scores a 2.6 on the HCA. (table 55%, depth 62.5, crown angle 35.5, and pavilion angle 40.8). I *have* seen it in person aim a few different lighting conditions, and it is a nice diamond.

He took a picture of the certificate and sent it to me, and the flash hit right where the diameter is listed, but I can tell it says 7.8-something...and the depth is 4.68, or possibly 4.88 (I told him I need a better copy).

Do you think this forum/DB is the best place to sell it? He is in no rush. I was thinking of seeing if GOG would consign it for him.

It looks like similar ideal but not sig ideal diamonds on bluenile are going for like 24k. I assume he should be asking somewhere between 12 and 17 or 18...but that's a very broad range!

I would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions relating to where and how much he should try to sell it for...I'm not particularly diamond savvy or secondary market savvy (though I'm trying to learn!!).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it is a GIA XXX, I would probably try to sell it on Diamond Bistro and listing here first because he won't have to pay a commission. That way the buyer can benefit from a lower price since a commission fee would raise the price. After a few weeks here if it doesn't sell, then he could consign. Because we don't know him, he probably should be willing to send the diamond to one of our appraisers such as David Atlas or Neil Beatty to confirm it is as presented on the cert and then they can hold the stone until the payment is received and then send the diamond to the buyer. I am not 100% sure if David does this but I am pretty sure Neil does. If the buyer wants an idealscope or full appraisal, then the appraiser could do that as well. In fact, the seller should at least ask that an idealscope image be done as that would be very helpful for a buyer. Otherwise, he could consign with GOG.

atp223

Shiny_Rock
Thanks DS, I was hoping you would reply :).

I don't know if there are any jewelers in the DC area that have ideal scopes, but I feel like there have to be! Or maybe he can just buy one.

Assuming it does well with light performance tests, do you have any suggestions on pricing? I just noticed that it does have a feather on the report, but I don't know if vs2 feathers are a big deal.

I will upload the picture of the certif he sent me tonight and maybeeee if you are around you can check back this week and provide me with further insight, if you don't mind :) - I would post it now but I had to have PS blocked on my work comp bc it got too distracting!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
He could start by asking 30% below retail. A lot depends on how much assurance he can give buyers during the sale: using an appraiser as middle man, lots of photos, etc. It is a highly desirable size and color/clarity. I am tempted to simply tell him to consign it with GOG and just let it be part of their inventory, and wait.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
atp223|1336592353|3191385 said:
Thanks DS, I was hoping you would reply :).

I don't know if there are any jewelers in the DC area that have ideal scopes, but I feel like there have to be! Or maybe he can just buy one.

Assuming it does well with light performance tests, do you have any suggestions on pricing? I just noticed that it does have a feather on the report, but I don't know if vs2 feathers are a big deal.

I will upload the picture of the certif he sent me tonight and maybeeee if you are around you can check back this week and provide me with further insight, if you don't mind :) - I would post it now but I had to have PS blocked on my work comp bc it got too distracting!

how unfortunate, I just bought my diamond - for the right price I definitely would have been interested

make sure he uploads a picture of the diamond in and out of sunlight - that would make me feel more comfortable.

atp223

Shiny_Rock
GIA%20Grading%20Report%20kevin.jpg

GIA%20report%20confirmation.jpg

I hope those show up big enough - the first is a picture he took of the report (he keeps it with the diamond in a safety deposit box), and the second is the confirmation from GIA. The stone's measurements appear to be 7.80x7.83x4.88.

Since everything is in a safety deposit box, I can't get pictures immediately, but I will tell him that that should be the next step and will try to get those as soon as I can.

DS or anyone else - do you think the pricing on bluenile can be used to determine "market"? Or should we use the pricing on like, b2cjewels or something (their prices seem so cheap!)

Thanks for the help so far! And ncstx, that is so unfortunately about the timing! He has been talking about finally selling this for months...too bad I didn't post sooner!

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
oops, i meant video :)

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
atp223|1336601729|3191540 said:
GIA%20Grading%20Report%20kevin.jpg

GIA%20report%20confirmation.jpg

I hope those show up big enough - the first is a picture he took of the report (he keeps it with the diamond in a safety deposit box), and the second is the confirmation from GIA. The stone's measurements appear to be 7.80x7.83x4.88.

Since everything is in a safety deposit box, I can't get pictures immediately, but I will tell him that that should be the next step and will try to get those as soon as I can.

DS or anyone else - do you think the pricing on bluenile can be used to determine "market"? Or should we use the pricing on like, b2cjewels or something (their prices seem so cheap!)

Thanks for the help so far! And ncstx, that is so unfortunately about the timing! He has been talking about finally selling this for months...too bad I didn't post sooner!

Doesn't mean there won't be other potentially interested parties. :naughty:

atp223

Shiny_Rock
Our plan is to do a photo shoot this weekend and put the pictures and videos up with a db listing. I also reached out to Jon at GOG - but we may list it for a couple of weeks ourselves first just to see what happens.

My stone is a similar size - but an ags 0 for cut (and also an I), so maybe we can do comparison videos to help people see the cut and color etc.

If it holds its own against my stone in terms of sparkle in diff lighting, we will probably initially list it on db for around 18k and see what happens. Other comparable stones seem to be starting at 24/24.5 and going up from there.

If anyone is interested or knows someone who is interested, and wants me to send them pictures and videos directly, I am apapadimos on db (and overall not very hard to find on the internet).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alexa, I would agree with Dreamer on listing at 30% off current retail and being open to offers below that. I wouldn't compare the price to Blue Nile Signature, but I would just use the search engine here and get an average price for a GIA XXX close to that color and clarity to establish the retail. I am seeing 3 Eternity Diamond listings for 1.80 F VS2 in the $23-24k range. The great thing for your friend is that he bought before the big price increase so he won't take as big of a hit when selling below current retail. I feel sure it will sell. That is a popular size and the price will be good. Those of us on Rocky Talky will try to recommend it when it falls into someone's parameters. Just tell him again, though, that he probably needs to call Neil or someone to see if they will be middle man because few people will wire that kind of money to an individual they have not known here.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1336701837|3192638 said:
Alexa, I would agree with Dreamer on listing at 30% off current retail and being open to offers below that. I wouldn't compare the price to Blue Nile Signature, but I would just use the search engine here and get an average price for a GIA XXX close to that color and clarity to establish the retail. I am seeing 3 Eternity Diamond listings for 1.80 F VS2 in the $23-24k range. The great thing for your friend is that he bought before the big price increase so he won't take as big of a hit when selling below current retail. I feel sure it will sell. That is a popular size and the price will be good. Those of us on Rocky Talky will try to recommend it when it falls into someone's parameters. Just tell him again, though, that he probably needs to call Neil or someone to see if they will be middle man because few people will wire that kind of money to an individual they have not known here.

I agree wit hall of this 100%. I also do not think a video comparing it to any other stone is necessary. It is a GIA Ex cut, reliably graded. People know what they are getting. It will just take the right buyer and a good appraiser to act as middle man.

atp223

Shiny_Rock
Thanks ladies! I passed the pricing info along to Kevin, and I will post here when the db add is up!

Rad212

Rough_Rock
Hey a bit late to the party. This still available?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I see there is a new advertizer on PS--up top on the ad bar. Give them a call as well--they seem to specialize in repurchasing diamonds.

http://www.wpdiamonds.com/

cheers--Sharon

atp223

Shiny_Rock
Rad212|1341033745|3226406 said:
Hey a bit late to the party. This still available?

Hi! My friend has an offer from a dealer for b&m stores for 18k. I don't think he will do much better than that online, but he hasn't decided to sell it to that guy yet, so if you wanted it for 18 that would prob be fine. Your call!

thepiks07

Rough_Rock
I'm really interested. Did you ever take pictures of make the video?

atp223

Shiny_Rock
thepiks07|1341948090|3231764 said:
I'm really interested. Did you ever take pictures of make the video?

Unfortunately this diamond has been sold. And I saw that coda's has been too - hopefully you were the purchaser!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
atp, it would be good to click "report concern" and ask the admin to mark this thread as sold.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results