shape
carat
color
clarity

Pricing at high end stores (T and Co., Graff, Harry Winston, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
Hey everyone,

I''m in the market for a 1.5 carat princess cut from a high end retailer. I know Tiffany''s just released a princes cut but I''m not sure about the others. If anyone has information regarding their experience buying a ring in the 1.25-2 ct range please share it with me whether or not it was a princess cut you bought.

Also, I didn''t intend to start an online vs. Tiffany''s debate...I''ll accept that you can get more diamond for your dollar here but knowing my GF, the value of the blue box and the experience of receiving a ring from T & Co will blow the cost savings out of the water. I''d love to buy from an online site, but let''s be honest, it doesn''t matter what I want.

Any pictures, stories, advice would be great. Also, if you had any luck in negotiating price please let me know. Finally, if it''s not rude to ask could you share the price you paid? I know a VVS1, H or I, 1.5 ct princess at T and Co is going to price somwhere around 19-21k, can that be beaten at another high end store?

Thanks in advance!

PS - I ran several searches on this but a lot of the threads were quite dated or not on point. If I missed one though please post it, thanks again.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
This doesn''t answer your question, but I have a suggestion if your gf would like tiffany or another brand. You should check out signedpieces.com. They carry pre-owned (but new condition) authentic tiffany, cartier, etc. and are very trusted here. You could get the blue box effect without the guilt of the price.

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
I actually just checked out that site as I had seen it mentioned in a previous post...believe me, if a princess pops up on there I''ll be all over it! There was a recent thread that someone posted which included pictures of her round cut, it looked amazing. Thanks for the heads up.

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/19/2007 12:01:42 AM
Author:IronMikey

Any pictures, stories, advice would be great. Also, if you had any luck in negotiating price please let me know. Finally, if it''s not rude to ask could you share the price you paid? I know a VVS1, H or I, 1.5 ct princess at T and Co is going to price somwhere around 19-21k, can that be beaten at another high end store?

Thanks in advance!

PS - I ran several searches on this but a lot of the threads were quite dated or not on point. If I missed one though please post it, thanks again.

I''m not sure about pricing, but I think you should go up on color (and down on clarity if necessary for budgetary reasons). With an VVS1/H or I you are paying for clarity you cannot see but will see some warmth/tint in the stone. I think a G/VS1, for example (or even an F/VS2) would be a better balance.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My GF''s FI gave her a Lucida 1.6 carat F VS-VVS (not sure abt clarity, but it is prob VVS) about 2-3 yrs ago and it was about USD35k.

I think (not sure if I''m right here) that Tiffany carries stones at a higher end of the colour spectrum so hers looks more like an E, or at least I think so and so have other ppl .

I''d definitely go down on clarity (I think their lowest is VS2, again not sure if I am right). VVS is fine if that''s what you/ yr GF wants, but IMO why pay more money for something that you can''t even see. I have a couple of VVS1 stones and despite having tried very very hard, can''t find anything, even with a 20x loupe.

If you''re thinking H then a Tiffany I would probably suffice.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and I''d suggest that you and yr FI (if it''s not meant to be a surprise) go to a Tiffany store and check out their stones. Clarity-wise, I''d say they don''t carry anything that is not eye-clean but as for colour, it is very much a personal preference. Do go and compare their stones of different colours and check out the other high-end stores or even yr regular B&M just to make sure you/ she are/is comfortable with the colour.

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Also bring along an idealscope or ASET an compare different rings on your shortlist in different lighting. Despite the price-tag and the fact all the diamonds are of reasonable quality (e.g. not as bad as the average B&M store) they still vary from ring-to-ring.

If you''re happy paying for a T&Co you may as well get the best one you can get :)

I don''t think people have much luck negotiating at T&Co for prices.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Tiffany & Co sells a princess cut?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m pretty sure it''s actually a cushion cut called the Novo. There was some talk about it here a few weeks ago. It''s pretty different from a princess so I would double check that your girlfriend likes cushions before buying.

I also remember a thread on here about Cartier prices not being terrible in the 1.5ish carat range. But I believe the poster got a round diamond and after everyone on Pricescope called asking if the prices were right, Cartier freaked out and said it was a mistake of some sort. (Cartier actually wanted to charge the poster more but they ended up getting it at the original price offered after a fight!) So if you find a good deal, maybe keep it to yourself until you actually have the ring in your hand!

One more thought: would your girlfriend want a ring from any other designer but Tiffany? It just seems like a lot of girls only know Tiffany, and they''re not into (or haven''t even heard of) Cartier, Harry Winston, Graff, etc.

So if your girlfriend wouldn''t appreciate any other big name designers as much as the blue box from Tiffany, I would stick with Tiffany!

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Okay, yes I did see the Novo- NOT a princes...

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
UCLABelle: They are selling princess cuts in a simple setting, they just started it but did not advertise, as it is not a branded cut, nor is it something they are terribly proud of... ;-)

Iron Mikey: See a store associate to look at colors. in my opinion, if you can afford the type of stone you want, you can go to TCo, but their settings for the princess are no different than a generic, and their stones are the same on the market, so in my opinion, you are now not even paying for design so much as just the brand. If that''s OK, go for it.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nicrez,
What type of cut is the Lucida?

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Harriet, It's a mixed cut, meaning brilliant on the pavillion and step cut on the crown. It is square in shape like a radiant (with cut corners not to really exceed more than half the length of the sides), and will exhibit a higher crown and deeper pavillion, as an asscher would, but has a unique look of (to me) "Asscher Radiantesque".
9.gif
Not a fan of them too much...

The Novos are my favorites, BUT not their settings. Once they roll out new setting for the Novo cushions, watch out! I want a RHR!
30.gif

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
Yeah they most definately have a princess cut, I''ve seen it with my own eyes. And yes, it is a very simply setting much like their simple setting for their round cut, which is what she likes.

I would certainly love to go up in color and sacrifice clarity since my GF and I won''t be looking at the stone under 50x magnification. Ideally, I''d go VS 1-2 and a G color since as soon as you hit the colorless range at Tiffany''s you''re really going to feel it in the wallet. Also, I couldn''t compare colors b/c they only had 2 princess cuts in the store as they are a totally new release for T & Co. They won''t even have a 1.5 ct until late May.

She is familiar with Graff and Harry Winston (thanks a lot Sex and the City) and thinks that Graff is out of the rhelm of what is reasonable price-wise. However, I had read on this board that that could be a mistake on her part. The problem with the other stores is that I don''t know if they carry a princess cut at all.

Thanks so much for all the feedback. Please keep it coming!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Why don''t you take a trip to a local store, if there is one around you? If there isn''t one around you, then maybe I can head out to HW at lunch and see if they have anything. If any PSer lives near Graff perhaps they can offer to do the same? Now I am curious myself... :)

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I live near Graff, but do not remember any princess cuts. Graff will bargain with you though.

Nicrez,
I've replied to you on my wedding thread. (Sorry for the threadjack.)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have seen the princess cuts at Tiff''s. They were small, under a carat and set in a simple setting. They looked great to my eye. My SA said they had just launched them, and bigger carat weights were available. Graff has that rep of being super high priced, but that''s not always the case. They will work with you from what I have heard. Have no clue if they carry princess cuts, but worth further investigation. Good luck.

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
Yeah I''m waiting for the larger ct weights to roll in and the price tags that come with them, ha. I actually emailed Graff so I''ll see if they get back to me and let everyone know.

I''m not concerned with fiding an amazing stone with one of the vendors mentioned on this site but I haven''t been able to spot a perfect solitare setting...hmmm

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
I got a return email from Graff today and they said they had a princess cut. 1.6ct, I, IF. Not my ideal stone b/c I''d want to sacrifice some clarity to up the color.

It''s strange too that exceldiamonds has a AGS 0 1.6ct, IF, I color...strange coincidence I suppose

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ironmikey:

I am a brand name snob. My wife isn't, but loves the blue box thing as well...however, after much research I think your money would be much better spent purchasing a ring from a designer custom jeweler than a retail store. You will avoid taxes, and get exactly what you want. My wife won't even look at Tiffany anymore since the stuff she gets is typically so much better.

Here are some names I would look into:

Maytal Hoffman www.maytalhannah.com
Leon Mege www.artofplatinum.com
Mark Morrell Jewelry

I am a research fiend, and in the end you won't regret buying from one of these people. I am going to include a photo of some of the rings that Leon currently has for sale, and some that are beauties. I will also include some photos of the ring Maytal just made for my wife. You will pay a premium for these designers, but will get your moneys worth...

Designer custom jewelers kick ass over tiffany any day of the week. At your price range you will get something far more amazing than what T and CO and your wife will notice.

Maytal
tsav1166.JPG

tsav1177.JPG

maytalR-rbpave%20(2).jpg

maytalR-ec%20(2).jpg

Mark Morrell
D_J_2-653ct_wed_set001.JPG

Leon Mege

r221-10W.jpg

LeonEmeraldSnowbunny.jpg

mege_ring.JPG

r788_036Ww.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results