shape
carat
color
clarity

Pricescope Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nick1918

Rough_Rock
I found the same diamond listed 3 times in pricescope. Why would this happen? Are these dealers competitive and reputable?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 5/15/2003 10:48:34 AM Nick1918 wrote:

I found the same diamond listed 3 times in pricescope. Why would this happen? Are these dealers competitive and reputable?
----------------

Truth is none of them own the stone. The stone is taken from a wholesalers list, a markup applied by the 3 respectively and it is possible that the diamond may not even be available! Many of us here encourage purchasing from a vendor that *sees* what they are selling. Check this post here ...

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/nice-ice-rejected-a-diamond-i-was-ready-to-buy.6595/

Peace,
Rhino

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
There are essentially two types of diamond dealers operating here on PS, those that like to "fish" by copying the diamonds listed in the various multiple listing services reserved for the trade and re-publishing them at various profit structures in hopes of catching your interest and those who take an honest interest in providing their clients with diamonds which have been personally evaluated... Jonathan at GOG, WhiteFlash, SuberbCert and ourselves fall into the second category. Why is this important? To begin with, we have the diamonds that we advertise for sale in our physical inventory... The other internet dealers do not and thus when you call to purchase a diamond you are likely to be told that the diamond is not available because it is out with another dealer or that it has already been sold, but we can offer you "this" stone or "that" stone as a suitable alternative... Do you know what that practice is called in Federal terms? "Bait & Switch" but thus far it has not been an abuse reported to the authorities often enough for the Federal Trade Commission to investigate the matter with any keen interest... This fact aside, it is in your best interest to purchase from a vendor who actually personally evaluates the diamond you are considering because (1) he/she can verify that you are going to actually receive the diamond advertised - if you knew how many times we rejected diamonds for not matching their lab reports you would be concerned... (2) inclusions often do not appear on copies of lab reports that might affect your initial decision to purchase the diamond - see this post https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/nice-ice-rejected-a-diamond-i-was-ready-to-buy.6595/ for a great example of this... And thus you have a better idea of what to truly expect when you actually have the opportunity to loupe the diamond for yourself if you have already seen the inclusions in the clarity photographs provided by the more reputable on-line dealers prior to purchasing the stone... (3) Have you ever tried to return the wrong diamond to an on-line vendor when they haven't actually seen the stone that was sent out? Go ahead and try returning a 0.81 carat, G, VS-2 that was sent out accidentally in place of a 0.81 carat, F, VS-1 when the dealer has already sold the other stone! Seen it, not a pretty picture... The Jewelers Vigilance Committee http://www.jvclegal.org has all sorts of horror stories on this subject if you care to investigate deeper... Our advice, if you are interested in one of the diamonds listed by five or six dealers, select one of the dealers who chooses to represent diamonds ethically and responsibly and ask them to source the diamond on your behalf and evaluate it for the same price, since we all have access to the same virtual inventory, it only makes sense to buy the diamond from the person or company that is going to provide you with the best service.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hey Nick~

I was also confused about the same thing to start with. Here's a diamond x carat weight x dimensions, polish, etc. and here it is again on the list with a different vendor. I didn't ask like you did. I got lucky that someone else asked and one of the experts posted the answer in a thread.

On the second type of vendor mentioned by Nice Ice, here's a thread from today you might check:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/nice-ice-rejected-a-diamond-i-was-ready-to-buy.6595/

I am gonna have to learn to do links! LOL
2.gif
Nice Ice previewed the diamond for the customer and found it was not acceptable. White Flash, Nice Ice, Good Old Gold, Superb Cert, and a few others act as your eyes.

I found one of those multi-listed diamonds I liked the sound of and price. I called 3 different vendors about it. It took all 3 a couple days to email me a copy of the Cert. Seems the broker isn't in the office a lot. That diamond turned out, on paper, to not be so great once I got the info.

I bought my diamond from White Flash. WF had it physically there in the vault. Lesley Harris, whom I dealt with, put me on the phone with Brian Gavin, the cutter. Brian pulled my diamond out of the vault and discussed it with me over the phone. I decided to have it shipped on approval and it was exactly like Brian described it.

It's the difference between shopping blind and having your eyes wide open. Only those vendors who physically have possesion of the diamonds are your eyes. They screen and select only the best.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results