shape
carat
color
clarity

Price for this sapphire

mtruong

Rough_Rock
Good evening, the whole family

I am new to the sapphire and would like to purchase this stone. Could anyone tell me exactly how much should I pay for?

This stone is 5.01 cts unheated sapphire and color like you seen. I am appreciated any feedback.

_37472.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We cannot tell you much about what the cost should be unless we know more information. For example: is it certified? Any treatments? Who is the vendor? Are they reputable? Lots of things go into the cost of colored stones, so the image and ct weight alone won't be enough for us to go on.

ETA: just saw you specified heat. But what about other treatments? Also, have you seen other angles of the stone or video?

mtruong

Rough_Rock
The stone is weight exactly 5cts. Here is the GIA certification that they offer.

_37474.jpg

mtruong

Rough_Rock
Please help me to find the right price for this sapphire. :liar:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too many variables that we cannot tell from a single picture to tell you the price. Nuances in colour = huge price variance. There's also the matter of how well it holds its colour, the quality of the cut, and etc that makes it difficult unless one sees the stone in hand. Perhaps you are best off with the services of an coloured stone appraiser? Have you seen this stone in person?

mtruong

Rough_Rock
Hi, Chrono

I am waiting for this stone to send to me before actually offer the price. But they send me the link for the sapphire stone and I would like to share it with you if you believe this will help to determine price.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DwWkJn6kiJE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock
why does the photo say 6.16 ct stone?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
new-beginning|1465102110|4040361 said:
why does the photo say 6.16 ct stone?

I am confused about this, and also confused that they aren't asking a price....what is the listed price?

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mtruong, did you black out the weight and measurements on the GIA cert or did the vendor?

mtruong

Rough_Rock
Sry, limosun. The vendor black out the measurement when they sent it to me? I requested and they will give me the number to check out the quality of the stone. They also ask for about 30k for that stone. Btw, it is actually 6.16 cts

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the vendor I think it is I believe people have had trouble with him on the past.

Even if it is not the vendor I am thinking of, what wouldn't he provide you the measurements?!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed...even without knowledge of the vendor, marking out the size and dims would make me worry which is why I asked who did it (added to the difference between the video and original size stated).

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lilmosun|1465151209|4040530 said:
Agreed...even without knowledge of the vendor, marking out the size and dims would make me worry which is why I asked who did it (added to the difference between the video and original size stated).

Yeah, that makes no sense. I wouldn't trust him or her given the information we have.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Why would a vendor send you the stone without getting payment from you.? First you say the vendor will let you make an offer after you receive it, but, then you say he wants 30,000 for it.

My first thought was it looked too perfect. While its not top color, it looks nice to me. I am no expert in sapphires. I think you ought to double check this item. Proceed with caution.

Annette

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am no expert, however, I personally believe the pic of the stone in the original post is rather small for a 6.16ct sapphire, even though sapphires are denser than diamonds.

DK :confused:

mtruong

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all of your feedback. I will process further actions with cautions but Can anyone give me their OP about the price for this stone? Even though, the color is not royal blue but it's fine nice blue so I don't know how much I should pay for. :wavey:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mtruong|1465172688|4040627 said:
Thank you for all of your feedback. I will process further actions with cautions but Can anyone give me their OP about the price for this stone? Even though, the color is not royal blue but it's fine nice blue so I don't know how much I should pay for. :wavey:

I honestly can't advise you to move forward with this at all, since I don't understand various aspects of the situation (why would the vendor send you the stone before getting paid, why would he/she black out crucial info about carat and mm size??), but this webpage has a decent price guide IMHO.

http://www.awesomegems.com/sapphire-blue-priceguide.html

Looking at your posted color vs. the guide it seems like maybe it falls somewhere between 2-4K per carat? Again, just my thought from looking at your stone since there's not exact match. But I'd look through it if I were you and then re-evaluate. Or check against known reputable vendors.

mtruong

Rough_Rock
Finally, the vendor send me all the information that I requested.

_37495.jpg

_37496.jpg

_37497.jpg

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They've still obscured the certificate number which leaves you with no way to check the authenticity of the certification online. Also the face up size seems a little small, which probably reflects the fact that it is poorly cut (actually it looks like a pregnant goldfish to me
http://www.bespoke-gems.com/SacredGeometrics_Page_WhatToLookFor.php). This whole thing is really fishy :).

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So a few thoughts:

1) faces up small because its so deep with a fairly flat table;

2) tweezers and fingers typically don't come in that color, so it appears to me that the white balance is off in the video and photos, indicating to me that it might be purposely done in order to make the stone appear more saturated than it really is;

3) has some extinction issues due to its cutting and its depth.

4) lacks saturation so that it is not as vivid and intense a blue as trade ideal. OTOH, it appears lighter in tone than many so it is pretty and will likely not go dark in low lighting.

5) Is a big stone, but an even bigger price tag.

I personally would pass, but then again, I am no longer in the market for a 6 carat sapphire! :))

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
If you truly have a $30,000 budget for a sapphire, I'd do a lot more looking before I purchased this one if it were me. As others have stated, you are paying a lot for the carat weight and most of that is in the "belly" of the stone. It's been cut for weight not face up presentation so you'd get the same "look" once it's set from a smaller precision cut stone.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
My medium blue unheated sapphire is 3.71ct and measures 9.53 x 8.13 x 5.76 It's also a native cut, but as you can see it faces up only a bit smaller than this one. I got it from Gary Braun who sourced it himself and decided not to recut it. The cut isn't perfect, but it looks nice when it's set. I paid less than 1/10 of what they are asking for that stone and mine also came with an AGL prestige report. I'll post a photo in a few minutes when I change computers.

I'm not trying to say mine is as nice as this one, but if you do some shopping around you should be able to find something FANTASTIC for that budget.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
My stone

medium_blue_sapphire__18_.jpg

mtruong

Rough_Rock
Thank you for you useful advice, I just wonder how much did you have to pay for that stone? So I have some references in my head before talking to them.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
My stone? Like I said in the post above, less than 1/10th of the asking price of the stone you are considering. It was listed at over $3000 but it had been listed for awhile and because I'm a "good customer"..... and had just recently purchased a bright pink sapphire from him, Gary let me have it for less than $3000. It's worth more than I paid, but Gary's photos made it look lighter and more washed out than it is. I went by the photo on the AGL report which was closer in color. Gary has since changed the way he takes photos and now they seem to be closer to how his stones actually look. (lucky for me that his photo wasn't a good representation of my stone's color).

I also purchased the stone over four years ago, so that needs to be taken into consideration. I would guess my stone would sell closer to $5000 now, but that is still a heck of a long way from $30,000. The stone you are considering is probably a bit deeper in color than mine, I just wanted to show you that you can purchase a nice sapphire for a LOT less than $30,000.....OR if you do have that kind of budget, you might want to do a LOT of shopping around before you buy.

I doubt they are going to offer that stone at a reasonable price because they do tend to sell them on a per ct basis and that stone is big carat-wise, especially for an unheated stone, but as the more experienced CSers on here have tried to tell you, the cut is very belly heavy so you would be paying a LOT for a stone that won't face up much bigger than a 4ct.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like many people here, I got some red flags about this stone.

First, I hate that people do this but they put the stone in front of something thats opposing color instead of neutral background. And of COURSE the stone will look different that way.

Hiding the most crucial information a would be customer should know...the GIA number in this case... makes little sense. You need to be sure that stone is the right stone per the report. If you've asked and they still won't give it to you, don't walk, RUN away!

Cut and color:

Color looks somewhat manipulated and there's LOTS of light on this stone. I think it will be darker in person. Not always a bad thing, but IMO it may well be a lifeless stone.

Cut is subjective to a degree. I have some stones that are not precision but decently cut and the color just can't be denied. They're beautiful. This one well... I'm fearing that it will not do the stone any favors. Hoping I'm wrong of course but combined with the other things this seller is (or isn't) doing, it would give me some pause.

I think the stone itself is overpriced at 30K. I believe that if you take a little time, you can do better pricewise, and also have a better buying experience with a vendor who won't hide crucial information from you.

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
Hi

It seems this stone was sold on ebay a few days ago. Here is the listing which includes the GIA report number

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FINEST-ON-E...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

You can click on the link above and see the asking price. Looking elsewhere on ebay I see that an offer was accepted.

OP, if you are not the person who bought this sapphire on ebay, then the person who is selling it to you is suggesting a price that is 3X higher than paid from what I can tell.

(edited to correct a typo)

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sungura - good find! Yet another red flag. Run away! Run away!

mtruong

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all of your OPs. I will run away :wall:

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Good Idea since the stone is already sold...............

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results