shape
carat
color
clarity

Previously Engaged?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
I was with my ex for 5 years and we got engaged long distance 1.5 years of being together.
We split up in 2004 because I came back home and he had work commits and refused to move to my country.
I felt all alone and isolated in England, I couldn''t take it and I had just grown up and had different wants and priorities.

I still have the e-ring, I never really wanted to get rid of it, but I know I''m never going to wear it again so it''s a waste sitting in a jeweler box for the past 3 years. I am now selling it, I listed in on a site today, finally I just decided, why hold on to it? It doesn''t really disgust me to see it or evoke bad memories of a failed relationship, it kinda reminds me of being young and crazy in love with a forbidden love. Kind of good memory to be young and crazily in love. It''s a token of the history of my life. Of course some people don''t see it that way.. I know I''m weird!

My b/f certainly doesn''t see it that way. He doesn''t ever want to see it, and I don''t blame him.
I thought hey maybe I''ll give it to my daughter when she''s older and tell her the story about how wild stupid crazy mommy was and she could have been a dual citizen of America and England.. but then I think well..... it isn''t really an heirloom to really pass down, kinda strange to even think of doing that.
Maybe I''m just an overly sentimental person?
If it sells it sells

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve attached a photo.
I was 17 years old, had the diamond set in platinum and had taken it on a trans-atlantic flight with me to England back in 2000

digital pics 384.jpg

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
I don''t think you''re being overly sentimental at all.

That ring symbolizes a significant part of your life and a potential future filled with hopes and dreams. A road not taken with someone who''s no longer a part of your life.

I''m sure it brings back many happy memories as well as thoughts of how the relationship ended. Those emotions are very real and very powerful.

kimberlina13

Shiny_Rock
Maybe take the stones and have it turned into something for one of your daughter''s milestone birtdays..sweet 16, 18, 21...

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I still have my rings from my first marriage and wear them as RHR. My husband doesn''t mind, as they are just pieces of jewelry to me now. After all these years, I''m thinking of trading them in on something new. Funny, how these old memories affect us...

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
I returned the e-ring I had from a long-distance engagement. I would not have minded to keep the diamond but to me it was not an option since I borke-off the engagement and felt it was no longer mine.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mustang--I felt like I was reading my own story when I read this post! I also JUST put my previous engagement ring on eBay. The ex and I had been together for five years, too, and it just didn''t work out. We got engaged when we were only 21 and didn''t know any better.

I understand how it can be difficult to part with your ring; even though I don''t miss the ex, it does represent a very large part of my life.

However, now that I put it out there I''m hoping it sells! If it does, I can buy that bicycle I''ve been coveting . . .

Good luck with the sale, and congrats for moving on!

P.S. The ex wouldn''t take the ring back, I tried numerous times. I even sent it to his parents'' home and he sent it right back to me.

Gwyn

Brilliant_Rock
I completely understand.

I too have a diamond from a past relationship, though it was not an engagement ring. I always feel like I might want to wear it someday, since i designed it and absolutely love it, but it has our initials engraved in it, so I do not feel right wearing it. I thought of passing it down to my daughter or something, but the initials made it too personal.

I think you have the right to sell it or keep it as a keepsake. We all like to be able to look back on memories when we were crazily in love!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results