shape
carat
color
clarity

Preventing diamond switching

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Secondarily, most craftsmen (and women) don’t do their best work with some nervous nelly looking over their shoulder. Do you?

I am reminded of an event that happened many years ago.

There is a store that had a window to their bench room that clients could watch through.

A very nervous client was worried about leaving her heirloom ring to be sized. So, when her take in was complete she walked to the window to watch.

The benchman, apparently unaware that he was being watched by a nervous client, tossed her ring on the bench, grabbed up a saw, flipped the ring upside down and started sawing through the shank. The client was going nuts about the destruction of her heirloom ring. He started cutting out a piece of gold to insert into the shank while she went into overdrive and when the benchman lit the torch for a little soldering she started screaming hysterically.

The way I heard it, she was sedated in the ambulance on the way to the emergency room and the store spent thousands of dollars for the ambulance and hospital stay.

I am not sure it is a true story, but it sure sounded like it when my friendly competitor jeweler told me the story. If it is true, I have great empathy for the jeweler. I know of them and they have a reputation for doing good work. Sort of seems a high price to pay for trying to do what so many people ask for, to watch while their jewelry work is done.

Wink

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock

There is a store that had a window to their bench room that clients could watch through.

A very nervous client was worried about leaving her heirloom ring to be sized. So, when her take in was complete she walked to the window to watch.

The benchman, apparently unaware that he was being watched by a nervous client, tossed her ring on the bench, grabbed up a saw, flipped the ring upside down and started sawing through the shank. The client was going nuts about the destruction of her heirloom ring. He started cutting out a piece of gold to insert into the shank while she went into overdrive and when the benchman lit the torch for a little soldering she started screaming hysterically.

The way I heard it, she was sedated in the ambulance on the way to the emergency room and the store spent thousands of dollars for the ambulance and hospital stay.

I am not sure it is a true story, but it sure sounded like it when my friendly competitor jeweler told me the story. If it is true, I have great empathy for the jeweler. I know of them and they have a reputation for doing good work. Sort of seems a high price to pay for trying to do what so many people ask for, to watch while their jewelry work is done.

Wink
As my grandfather would say: No one really wants to see how the sausage is made.
With that said, we are facing this very situation with my MIL. She needs her ring sized for arthritic knuckles and the jeweler who sold her the stone told her to never let it out of her sight. But she won’t be happy with what they do to alter it, either. We have suggested taking the stone out and home. Then she can bring it back and have it remounted after the setting is altered.

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another reason I love antique stones and my one new stone I sent to Van Craeynest to set is an August Vintage so besides trusting Van Craeynest it would also be pretty hard to not notice it wasn’t an August Vintage. I also like fluorescence in a stone and that’s one thing that’s noticeable on top of inclusions.

The Judge

Rough_Rock
Trade
I just finally chose my diamond, and now I have to find a setting at a different jeweler.

Now, my question is this... if I know the exact mapping of all the inclusions in my diamond, then that is an absolutely secure and most certain way of knowing that it is my diamond?

I found out that theoretically, anyone can rub off the GIA number inscribed on the girdle.

I am planning to buy a microscope with a camera so that I can take a picture of all the inclusions in my diamond with the exact positions of all the inclusions. There is something called Dino Lite in Amazon for around $250 that I am planning to purchase.

This is the ultimate way to know a 100 percent that the diamond is yours?

I am a little paranoid since I spent the last three months trying to find my diamond, and it is an expensive F, VS2, Excellent, 1.80 carat diamond.

I know some people will say that diamond switching is very rare, and it probably occurs only 1 percent of the time, but it does happen from time to time.

Also, I am trying to find a setting now, and I found a design for an engagement ring that I really like, but I am not sure about the business since it is owned and run by 3 people, and they have been in business for only 12 years. They have very good reviews in Yelp and other sites but that is about all they have.

I will appreciate any opinions from everyone. Thanks.

A VS-2 clarity diamond is relatively easy to ID if you have the GIA document, by a trained professional. When you drop off the stone to have it set, you should have the jeweler sign a copy of the GIA Report, thereby acknowledging that he/she is accepting the diamond for work. When you get it back, find a Certified Appraiser who doesn't buy or sell jewelry, bring it to that appraiser to verify it's the same.

Buy a microscope really isn't' necessary. A certified Jewelry Appraiser will have a professional scope and be able to ID the stone.

As for a the GIA inscription, it cannot be "rubbed off"! It's inscribed in the girdle using laser Technology . It could be polished off, but the would involve having it sent to a cutter. You might even loose a point or two in polishing it out, but highly unlikely.

All in all, you have done enough research to fry your brain! You made the one decision that, in the end, was your best decision... you purchased a GIA diamond, making it easy to ID by a professional. Relax... enjoy the process, it's a wonderful happening in your life.

iwantadiamond

Rough_Rock
Trust me- You cannot be too careful. My IF diamond was switched. I was heartbroken. I could never prove who did it, but I know exactly who it was. Fortunately, I had the GIA docs and appraisal and my insurance company paid the claim in full.

Sorry that happened, did you wind up getting another IF diamond to replace it?

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry if this is repetitive, as I didn't have time to read all the replies.

Unfortunately, my original diamond was switched. I knew who switched it, but couldn't prove it. I was absolutely heartbroken. Besides going to a reputable jeweler, I bring any diamond documentation with me. Then, I ask to see my diamond under the microscope before and after any repair is done. Most jewelers are happy to oblige. Just get really good with a loupe, and learn your diamond's characteristics.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP
As someone asked, a picture of the setting would be a good idea to post.

A number of years ago I bought a set of diamonds from one jeweler and had the diamonds mounted in a setting by another jeweler. When I went into the store of the jeweler who set the diamond I told them that there were AGS laser inscription on the girdle and I wanted to see them when I returned when the job was done. The lady took the diamonds and put them under a 100x microscope to confirm. Told her I wanted the inscription between the prongs for me to see. When I returned to pick them up, they were done that way and I saw them under the 100x scope. WaLa.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Wink

How do people think its done if not like this ?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
How do people think its done if not like this ?

I don't know. I suspect many people never think about the process.

I had my pilot's license for a few years and I know for sure most people have no idea all that goes into getting a plane into the air and down again safely. As much as I think I do know, I also know the difference between the big jets and the planes I flew contain dozens, if not hundreds of things I do not know about the full process. Trust me, you would not want me at the controls. The reason that pilots all use check lists is that no one can reliably remember each item all the time, and failure to do one of them can have disastrous consequences.

If I were to write a checklist for benchwork, one of the top items would be, __ Check room for non professional observers. Do not start until they are out of the room.

Wink

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
This frightens the heck out of me. I just dropped off my 3.4ctw vvs2 G color studs to have new posts put on. I didn’t want to send them through the mail. I picked this particular jeweler because they have a stellar reputation in a historic town. They‘ve been around for years. It shocked me that they didn’t ask me any info about the diamonds. She took a quick pic of them. I did mention to her that they were certified..what each diamond weighed..and what they cost. I asked her if they were insured in her store during the repair. She first said it would take three weeks. After my mentioning the above she said maybe a week. I felt bad but I was very nice. I just wanted to make sure she knew I knew what I was handing over. She handed me someone else’s receipt and I left. I looked down and realized what she did so had to go back to get the right receipt. I hate dropping my diamonds off. I actually feel better mailing my diamonds to David with his insured label.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This frightens the heck out of me. I just dropped off my 3.4ctw vvs2 G color studs to have new posts put on. I didn’t want to send them through the mail. I picked this particular jeweler because they have a stellar reputation in a historic town. They‘ve been around for years. It shocked me that they didn’t ask me any info about the diamonds. She took a quick pic of them. I did mention to her that they were certified..what each diamond weighed..and what they cost. I asked her if they were insured in her store during the repair. She first said it would take three weeks. After my mentioning the above she said maybe a week. I felt bad but I was very nice. I just wanted to make sure she knew I knew what I was handing over. She handed me someone else’s receipt and I left. I looked down and realized what she did so had to go back to get the right receipt. I hate dropping my diamonds off. I actually feel better mailing my diamonds to David with his insured label.

Hope your not putting screw backs on. That would be a bigger risk than the firm you have chosen.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope your not putting screw backs on. That would be a bigger risk than the firm you have chosen.

Why is that? I love my screw backs.

@MamaBee hope all goes well and I’m sorry this happened!! Do you wear them to bed? I wear mine 24/7 and haven’t had a problem with 14k gold yet.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why is that? I love my screw backs.

@MamaBee hope all goes well and I’m sorry this happened!! Do you wear them to bed? I wear mine 24/7 and haven’t had a problem with 14k gold yet.

@Slick1 I think 14k gold is stronger than platinum. I don’t think it bends as easily. I don’t sleep with my studs. I had David make me new 14k white gold bezel settings for my 2 carat studs. They have a really strong post. I decided to have them done in 14k ever since I had trouble with the 3 carat platinum post notches bending at the end. I’m just happy it happened in my house..:eek2:
I have a pair of yellow gold ball studs from my grandma. They kept unscrewing themselves. I stopped wearing them because I was afraid I would lose them.

LIGemzGal

Shiny_Rock
When I had my sapphire and side stones set in NYC at a reputable but low-key jewelry shop, they actually had me sit right next to their in-house bench (and I mean right next to him) so I could watch him set my stones into my setting. This was THEIR suggestion to give me comfort, as they sensed my nervousness. I sat there and eyeballed him for just about 2 hours while he worked continuously on my ring. He didn't mind one iota because they were willing to do whatever it took to keep me happy and comfortable. They're based in the NYC diamond district but have an impeccable and well-deserved Yelp reputation, which is how I found them. Could you find a shop where the bench would perhaps allow you to sit alongside them?

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
MamaBee
Would not have given me the warm and fuzzies.
Once you discovered the wrong receipt and went back, I would have also picked up your rocks. But that is me.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
MamaBee
Would not have given me the warm and fuzzies.
Once you discovered the wrong receipt and went back, I would have also picked up your rocks. But that is me.
@WillyDiamond I know...I’m really nervous...I’m kicking myself around for not sending them to David. This jewelry store is well respected...and very upscale...This was the wife of the owner who I had contact with. It was very surprising...Gulp

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@WillyDiamond I know...I’m really nervous...I’m kicking myself around for not sending them to David. This jewelry store is well respected...and very upscale...This was the wife of the owner who I had contact with. It was very surprising...Gulp

You should be fine, Joanne. I always say to go to the old, established high end jewelers for any bench work, if possible. As long as your stones have grading reports and you can check the diamonds for your own piece of mind, I wouldn't worry about it. I do think after reading these posts that in the future, if I have to leave a diamond with a jeweler, I will take a copy of my grading reports and ask them to check the number on the stones and record them on the receipt.

We certainly are fortunate here to have trustworthy jewelers to send our diamonds and other stones to for settings. It has never crossed my mind to be concerned for one second with jewelers like Whiteflash, Wink, Caysie, Victor, David, Maytal, etc.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
You should be fine, Joanne. I always say to go to the old, established high end jewelers for any bench work, if possible. As long as your stones have grading reports and you can check the diamonds for your own piece of mind, I wouldn't worry about it. I do think after reading these posts that in the future, if I have to leave a diamond with a jeweler, I will take a copy of my grading reports and ask them to check the number on the stones and record them on the receipt.

We certainly are fortunate here to have trustworthy jewelers to send our diamonds and other stones to for settings. It has never crossed my mind to be concerned for one second with jewelers like Whiteflash, Wink, Caysie, Victor, David, Maytal, etc.

Thank you @diamondseeker. I’m also worried about damage. Since they didn’t check them under the microscope or loupe when I brought them in..I’m worried about damage too. There wouldn’t be proof that they were perfect when I dropped them off. Would it be tacky to loupe them when I get them back while I’m still in the store? Since they are vvs2 I can’t find the inclusions. I can’t remember if the Gia numbers are visible in the settings...I know I’m going off the deep end..hahaha

Last edited:

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I think I had my diamond switched. :(
It was many years ago.I had an accident and a closet door closed on my hand. Minimal damage except for my hand. My then fiancé took the stone back to get fixed and I swear it was not the same stone. It was horrible. Sadly, this jeweler is still in business. With that said, I do believe it’s RARE.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I had my diamond switched. :(
It was many years ago.I had an accident and a closet door closed on my hand. Minimal damage except for my hand. My then fiancé took the stone back to get fixed and I swear it was not the same stone. It was horrible. Sadly, this jeweler is still in business. With that said, I do believe it’s RARE.

I’m so sorry @diamondsR4eVR I would be so upset...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results