shape
carat
color
clarity

Pretty facet pattern but it's overpriced right?

cartea01

Rough_Rock
Damn all you pricescopers with old cuts... I'm starting to develop a love for these chunky diamonds :love: ! I saw this ring on eBay Australia and from what the pictures show, the centre stone seems to have quite a pretty facet pattern but am I right in saying it's overpriced? I'd appreciate some advice from those of you in the know!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-15-car...23413?pt=AU_FineJewellery&hash=item4cf87665f5

oldcutebay.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you tell us how much that is in US dolloars?

EDIT - its $4801

Seems high to me too.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I have no idea! Prices have gone up so much I'm pretty behind on that. If it really is an F color, that's a heck of a rarity in an old cut; most were recut to modern rounds- and they were few and far between to begin with- and demand is high. Oh and FWIW, it's not an OEC; I'd call it either an antique cushion or an old mine cut. It *seems* high, to me, but... it might not be. It could also be pretty hard to find a comparable stone to judge by.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Hey! An old mine cut! Cool!

They are pretty hard to come by, so if it pushes all your buttons just go for it. I don't think the price is unnecessarily steep, unless the valuation and pictures are way way off. You are going to have one heck of a time making comparisons with a gem like this.

If it is the shape (cut) you value, I am not sure how valid a comparison with a differently cut round/cushion would work.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Contact the seller and offer something more in line with market realities for sub-1 carat old cuts. Seems waaaay too high to me.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with you - that facet pattern is quite pretty! As others have pointed out, an F color in an antique cut can be hard to find, and VS at that -- the closest comparison stone I could find on www.OldWorldDiamonds.com was a 0.84ct H-VS1 (6x5.8x3.9mm) at $3,544 -- so the additional $1,300 (USD) is basically for the two side-stones and the platinum ring setting (1.9grams, and quite a thin shank).

I'm not sure the stated price is completely out-of-whack, but the posted report is a valuation prepared for insurance purposes and not a GIA (or independent gemology) report -- I wouldn't rely on the color/clarity info without independent confirmation at my end -- if you were to purchase this, I would suggest ensuring the return period gives you enough time to have the ring inspected.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results