shape
carat
color
clarity

Preggo stuff, Baby Stuff, Toddler Stuff...post your best finds here!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Preggo stuff, Baby Stuff, Toddler Stuff...post your best

hey mamas to be...

Baby Cheapskate just posted today an article on getting a crib, mattress, and a few accessories for under $350.
http://www.babycheapskate.com/2011/01/17/crib-mattress-and-accessories-for-under-350-heres-how/

we got either the Graco Sarah or Lauren (can't recall) at amazon for $110, a mattress for $50 for my mom's house. though, having our home naturepedic mattress to compare it to, the cheapo one is SOOO subpar compared, super soft and lumpy. but doable for a 2nd/hardly used mattress. suggest going into a store and pressing on them to see what is the best lower cost one before buying.

also i found TJMaxx/Marshalls to be awesome for 1/2 price baby accessories for things like crib sheets, waterproof pads, hooded towels, washcloths, swaddling wraps, etc. i got many things there before J was born for more than 50% off, they are just overstocks from retail. and great for baby clothes.

just an FYI for any mamas on a strict budget!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock

Okay, I thought of some more great toddler stuff. For potty training this kind of seat is great http://www.target.com/Disney-Cars-Soft-Potty-Seat/dp/B0010P5Q7Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&searchView=list&keywords=potty%20seat&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-2&qid=1296428283&rh=&searchRank=target104545&id=Disney%20Cars%20Soft%20Potty%20Seat&node=1038576|1287991011&searchSize=90&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=1038576|1287991011&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&frombrowse=0 the handles really made T feel more secure and comfortable. It does work better on regular toilet bowls and slides a bit on elongated but it works. If you really want to invest (worth it for those who have many children) We have this http://www.pottytrainingconcepts.com/K-4732.html on one of our toilets and it is GREAT. Down when you need it, up when you don't.

ETA: the plastic little potty didn't work for us. She never went in the one at home and treated it like a toy. I am kinda glad she didn't. Less clean-up. I did have a cheapo one from IKEA in my trunk for emergencies which has come in handy.

CatLuver

Shiny_Rock

I have a question...would you use a snap'n'go that's non-compatible with the carseat? We have a Chicco carseat, and then got a hand-me-down Graco snap'n'go that says it's only for use with a Graco seat. It's from my sister-in-law who says she used it with a Chicco carseat anyway, but they are kind of loosey-goosey about stuff so I do'nt know if I would do it just because it "seems to fit fine." What do you think? Thanks in advance! I haven't tried putting our carseat in there because the snap'n'go is still in its box and I figured if I wasn't going to use it, I'll just get rid of it.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock

Cat, I had a chicco car seat and a baby trend s'ng that didn't really snap. No problems.

CatLuver

Shiny_Rock

Thanks Tacori, I wonder if there is a difference because the Baby Trend is supposed to fit different brands but the Graco says it is only for Graco seats. I read some reviews that said people used the Graco SNG with a Chicco seat so I guess I'll see if it fits (though I wouldn't have intentionally bought something that expressly says it's not compatible).

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock

My chicco fit fine in the SNG as well but it was also the baby trend.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Tacori E-ring|1296428983|2837689 said:
Okay, I thought of some more great toddler stuff. For potty training this kind of seat is great http://www.target.com/Disney-Cars-Soft-Potty-Seat/dp/B0010P5Q7Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&searchView=list&keywords=potty%20seat&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-2&qid=1296428283&rh=&searchRank=target104545&id=Disney%20Cars%20Soft%20Potty%20Seat&node=1038576|1287991011&searchSize=90&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=1038576|1287991011&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&frombrowse=0 the handles really made T feel more secure and comfortable. It does work better on regular toilet bowls and slides a bit on elongated but it works. If you really want to invest (worth it for those who have many children) We have this http://www.pottytrainingconcepts.com/K-4732.html on one of our toilets and it is GREAT. Down when you need it, up when you don't.

ETA: the plastic little potty didn't work for us. She never went in the one at home and treated it like a toy. I am kinda glad she didn't. Less clean-up. I did have a cheapo one from IKEA in my trunk for emergencies which has come in handy.

Wow, that second one looks really great! I love the idea and the price is not huge for the convenience of not having to take the other one on and off if you have guests using the "kids" bathroom.

Hunter has gone in his plastic potty, but it is a little bit of a toy...

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ERGO Carrier is on baby steals today. FYI. :))

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

I have been reading through this thread; I am on page 35. I am taking notes! hehe Anyone have organic mattresses they love? thanks!
I saw the Costco LA Baby Organic Mattress recommendation back on page 20 something. Is this a love by others?
http://www.lababyco.com/mattresses.htm

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock

Skippy123|1297994577|2854409 said:
I have been reading through this thread; I am on page 35. I am taking notes! hehe Anyone have organic mattresses they love? thanks!
I saw the Costco LA Baby Organic Mattress recommendation back on page 20 something. Is this a love by others?
http://www.lababyco.com/mattresses.htm
Hi Skippy :wavey:
A number of PSers have one of the Naturepedic organic mattresses. We bought the 150: http://www.diapers.com/product/productdetail.aspx?productid=16664..
It has a firmer side for infants and a less firm side for toddlers (though our LO is only 6 months, so I cannot comment on the less firm side -- in fact, we had a hard time figuring out which side was which).
We do like it a lot, though. It didn't have any foul smell right out of the box. We ordered it from diapers.com and used a 15% off code for new customers (also ordered my breast pump at the same time).

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

Turtledazzle, thank you so much!!! :halo: I appreciate the link; I am going to check it out! awesome :wavey:

eta: Albeebaby is having a sale on Britax 25% off

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

re organic mattresses: we also have the Naturepedic 150 and we love it. i got a cheapie $50 mattress for my mom's house and there is a huge difference between the two. I would definitely buy it again.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Ladies -

Trying to introduce water to my twins and was wondering which sippy cups you all recommend. We use Dr. Brown's bottles so, I was thinking of using their sippy cups too. There are so many choices out there so, I'm curious which are the best ones that your LOs took to easily.

Thanks!

meresal

Ideal_Rock

BB- Be sure to start with one that has a soft drinking tip.

C wasn't interested in the ones that had plastic tips, and I have heard the same from other mom's. Softer is better when first starting out.

We use this one. It also has a line on the cup, at the top, that you can fill the cup to everyday, and it helps you keep track of how much they are drinking thruout the day. One of my friends, who's son uses TupperWare cups, had to draw a line on with a sharpie in order to keep track.
http://www.playtexbaby.com/CupsMealtime/The-First-Sipster-Cup

charbie

Ideal_Rock

Im loving this thread and jotting down notes, so thanks to all you lovely ladies for the extensive real perspectives and reviews!
So im due in September, and am wondering if id be better off to go with a Snap And Go since we wont be taking the baby out for many long walks until the following spring (at least, id imagine we wouldnt...). Id rather not get a system, since I cant find many people who have anything positive to say about them. Or should we get a different stroller (id want something sturdy and versitile) that we also could get a car seat adapter for? Suggestions? I had no idea there were so many strollers out there...holy moly.

ETA: I live in the Midwest where we get really chilly days starting in October and not fully warming up until April...and even then very rainy. A large canopy will be a must!

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock

charbie|1303670352|2904114 said:
Im loving this thread and jotting down notes, so thanks to all you lovely ladies for the extensive real perspectives and reviews!
So im due in September, and am wondering if id be better off to go with a Snap And Go since we wont be taking the baby out for many long walks until the following spring (at least, id imagine we wouldnt...). Id rather not get a system, since I cant find many people who have anything positive to say about them. Or should we get a different stroller (id want something sturdy and versitile) that we also could get a car seat adapter for? Suggestions? I had no idea there were so many strollers out there...holy moly.

My baby was born in August, and I really liked the Snap and Go. We used it mainly for doctor's visits and for walks around the neighborhood. Our streets around here are paved pretty well and fairly flat so it worked well for us. After he was a couple of months old we started using our Bob with a Snuzzler in the most reclined position for longer neighborhood walks. For other outings, I typically wore him ... first in the Bjorn (which started to kill my back as he got heavy quickly) and now in the Ergo.

The stroller thing is a tough one ... there are a TON of choices, and it seems that there are a number of new, pretty cool strollers out now that weren't there even a few months ago.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

Stroller was the hardest thing for me to pin down, and I didn't get one til J was almost 3mo old. I wanted a good ride/push, real air tires, a good sun shade, and a good sized basket for the bottom (I walk to the local grocery store sometimes with him).

I got the Bumbleride Indie which I love and still do. I go out for really long walks with him though, like 2-4m about 2-3x a week. It comes with an infant car seat adapter, rain cover, and huge shade. I even ran over the wheel with my car and it still works (LOL!).

It was def the best purchase I've made. The only thing I wish it had sometimes... is the seat to flip around to face me. Just because I think he would have liked it better when he was younger--but now that he is older, he prefers to see something other than me anyway, so it wasn't a deal breaker.

Friend lent us the SNG and I didn't like it. We hardly used it, the ride was horrible and bumpy, I would rather carry his car seat and him than have to deal with that thing, but I know a lot of people like it. I wouldn't buy it but if you can borrow it from someone, perfect to try out. Mostly we just carried his car seat around. And I would wear him in the Bjorn if I needed to shop or whatever with him.

charbie

Ideal_Rock

Thanks Mara and Turtle for the tips...we are heading out tomorrow to do a little test driving.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock

charbie - I would try to figure out if you're going to get a full size stroller right away or wait to see what you need. That way you know if you'll actually need a snap and go. Like Mara, we also have the Indie, so we never needed a snap and go because the car seat fit directly in the Indie. We also had a Baby Hawk for the times we wanted to carry him.

Mrs

Shiny_Rock

Ergos are on babysteals today if anyone here is wanting one! It's a great carrier!

Mrs

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock

So I looove product reviews, and I hope to make a longer contribution to this thread at some point...but I had to pop in to recommend the Rock N Play sleeper!! Every new mom needs it IMO. I had never really paid attention, then we bought one when my son was about 2 weeks old and we love it! I love that is is approved for sleeping, and my DS has bad bad reflux so the incline really helps him. Its so light and easy to take around the house, we take it from room to room throughout the day for naps. He sleeps in it at night next to our bed which makes BFing super easy. Seriously, its the best $50 or whatever it was I ever spent!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've been meaning to post a list. I typed this up a while ago and never posted!

Best Product Overall: http://www.amazon.com/Leachco-Safer-Bather-Infant-Bath/dp/B00005JIVI/ref=pd_ys_iyr13 I love this thing. S doesn’t mind taking a bath at all. I think she is super-comfortable because this bath pad is so soft, and she is not submerged in water. I put this in the kitchen sink.

Best infant toy: http://www.amazon.com/Lamaze-Jacques-Peacock-Colors-Vary/dp/B000I2MRLK/ref=pd_ys_iyr12. S used to be entranced by the black and white pattern on the back! Now, she really likes the whole thing. So glad we have this; very nicely designed. Also, love Sophie the Giraffe, made in France (love that, almost everything else is made in China) by Vulli. We have their teething rings as well. I wish they made more products!!

Love the print on this Infantino activity gym!! http://www.amazon.com/Infantino-Twist-Fold-Activity-Vintage/dp/B002DWALTI/ref=pd_ys_iyr1 They also have a pink one, but I got this “boy print” for my little girl. I was concerned about what the fabric would be like because I HATE the fabric they put on a lot of bouncy chairs, activity mats, etc. The fabric that is scratchy to the touch must be a poly blend and I would guess it’s easier to clean and that’s why they use it so much? This activity gym is a soft nylon. I would love to have found a soft cotton, but I don’t know if they even make these in nice cotton? Anyway, she uses this every day and loves it so far!

This http://www.amazon.com/BabyComfyNose-Nasal-Aspirator-Tangerine-Dream/dp/B003RKLUJU/ref=pd_ys_iyr6 or this http://www.amazon.com/Nosefrida-The...ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1301258830&sr=1-1 is a must have, IMO. I chose the baby comfy nose because I didn’t want to have to remember to purchase the filters for the nosefrida. I heart the baby comfy nose. It works great! I’d suggest ordering one of these to have on-hand before the kiddo arrives. You don’t want to be in a panic if you are without one and your LO gets a cold, like mine did. Thankfully Amazon ships super-quickly!

Our favorite blankie: http://www.amazon.com/American-Baby-Company-Organic-Reversible/dp/B0014HOLGC/ref=pd_ys_iyr9. This is a gorgeous blanket for a little girl. It’s nice to have something that is not pink, but is also super-soft and girly nevertheless. If they made these in adult size, I would get one! :rodent:

My baby loved this bouncer: http://www.amazon.com/Bright-Starts-Comfort-Harmony-Biscotti/dp/B002VBXY5O/ref=pd_ys_iyr10. Fabric is nice and soft, like a brushed nylon. Soft!

We're still using the Arm's Reach Co-sleeper, which we never attached to the bed. I like it well enough, but a bassinet (with wheels) might have been a better choice. I like having her *right* beside me, and had to move the co-sleeper in order to get in and out of bed, which still keeping a nightstand (which I do need to keep things within reach.)

The Bumbleride Indie is great for us. I did not have a snap and go and can't imagine I ever would have used one.

Baby wash cloths and towels are horrible. The ones I have (carters and circo) are thin and rough. I picked up an 8 or 10 pack of washcloths from Kohl's and use those (nice and soft) along with regular adult (soft!) towels.

Happy Shopping!

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock

Loves Vintage|1305592827|2923547 said:
Baby wash cloths and towels are horrible. The ones I have (carters and circo) are thin and rough. I picked up an 8 or 10 pack of washcloths from Kohl's and use those (nice and soft) along with regular adult (soft!) towels.

I hope to have my list done soon (because I love this thread), but wanted to comment on towels. We have some of the awful Circo ones too, but we also have these JJ Cole towels and they are great! Big, soft, cute....

http://www.amazon.com/JJ-Cole-Collections-Hooded-Towel/dp/B003554I46/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1305601309&sr=8-4

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock

The Lamaze Jacques the Peacock is AMAZING - one of D's favourites.

Just wanted to add that the Mini Arms Reach Co-Sleeper does have wheels on one side. We also never bothered securing it to our bed and we have wooden floors. The only time it ever moved was when I used my foot to move it away from the bed so I could get in and out of bed easier!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

J grew out of the infant towels really quickly due to his giant head, so we have toddler towels now, IKEA makes surprisingly large soft ones for $9.99 (we have a frog and i think a lamb) and we got the PBK dotted hooded towel and it fits him really well.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Kunzite - Those towels look very comfy! Great rec - I've never seen those before.

Pandora - That's brilliant! Of course it make sense that they have wheels on it. I do have the mini, but picked mine up on CL, and never got the wheels!! We did get the stacking plastic pieces (from the seller) to make it higher, so I'm guessing you can't use the wheels for one side if you have it elevate? Maybe that's why the wheels were missing. If we ever do have another LO, I'll know to get those wheels for the CS mini.

Mara - I do have a toddler size ikea towel already, but haven't even washed it yet. I figured it was too big, but maybe I'll try it out since we're using adult towels now anyway. ::) Nice to see you around these parts, btw! I've always appreciated your advice!! :wavey:

Baby Monitors - Anyone have a rec? I'm looking for a regular monitor (no video), two receivers, with a fairly long range. Do they have ones that you could hear the baby while you're outside? Our house is far enough from our neighbors that I don't think we'll have interference issues, but not sure really how all of that works, i.e, when it's a problem vs. when it's not.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock

We use TODDLER hooded towels from Carters, bebe au lait and we have one from Kohls as well. They are rectangular in shape rather than the traditional square.

Loves2Laugh

Shiny_Rock

http://www.babycrunchy.com/products-page/aden-anais-4-pack-swaddles1/

I learned about the Aden and Anais swaddling blankets on here after having my son and I promised myself with my next baby I'd make sure to buy some. After looking all over and learning the difference between the cheaper 44x44 vs. the 47x47 and doing some pricing I found these online through someone local and they are by far the cheapest I've come across. Shipping is free and it's only 36.95 for a 4 pack of the nicer, bigger blankets. Just wanted to share!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thanks LV...I don't check in here much anymore, just not enough time!!

The Ikea towels are a GREAT size. I hope they get more designs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results