shape
carat
color
clarity

Preggo stuff, Baby Stuff, Toddler Stuff...post your best finds here!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought since the preggo thread is SOOO long now, we could post the best gear and wear (for both preggos and tots) here on this thread. That way moms or moms-to-be can peruse a single thread for cool new stuff and ideas.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ll start....

Lots of the current mom''s swear by this and I''ve subscribed to it...but I LOVE how easy the whole snap and go idea is. Instead of buying a bulky "travel system", you can use the infant car seat and a stroller frame to start...then buy a stroller later as you see how your needs evolve. Here is a pic of what a stroller frame looks like...

pTRU1-2895046dt.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
The above is Baby Trend''s "Snap N Go" frame for 49.99. If you have a Graco carseat, Graco makes one specifically for their seats and I like it because it does click into place. Theirs is $10 more at 59.99. Then there is the Maclaren, which is a much nicer name in strollers. I think theirs is 89.99 but I see it for 69.99 on BRU. Here is Maclarens (it''s supposed to steer way better)...

pTRU1-2867664dt.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

lili

Ideal_Rock
Great idea TGal.
I''m much too lazy to scroll through the other thread to find the items
3.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
And of course...my BOB Revolution stroller...I just LOVE this thing and I haven''t even used it with TTot yet (although we did give it a test run with my friend''s son). Pricey at $359, but they run periodic 20% of sales at REI for members. In fact, they are running it now for March.

http://www.bobgear.com/strollers/stroller.php?product_id=4

With the 07 models and later, they have a much better recline, so my plan is to use a snuzzler and use it for walks from a pretty early age. They have an infant carseat adapter, but for $50 bucks, I''d rather get the stroller frame I mentioned above and use that for when I don''t want to lug this thing around.

pTRU1-3532182reg.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh TGal, I should just copy and paste that list I wrote up awhile ago. As you know when I find a good product I LOVE to share the info. I have the baby trend snap 'n go and am in love with it. If I had to do it over again I would not have gotten the travel system. I do love my Chicco car seat and it is top rated. Also I high suggest those little toys that hang from the car seat bar. Really keeps baby T busy. She loves playing with them. Mine are sassy brand.

ETA: if anyone has a copy of my list on your hard drive can you post it. I am feeling lazy today
3.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Carseats!

I think Tacori posted this list awhile back, but here are some top performing infant carseats...

Infant Car Seats
No. 1 Chicco KeyFit for $160
No. 2 Britax Companion $200
No. 3 Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP $220
No. 4 Baby Trend Flex Loc Adj Back $90
No. 5 Compass 1410 $130
No. 6 Graco SnugRide w/EPS $90

I should add that the Graco Safeseat has performed well too...I think Consumer reports initially didn''t rate it well but rescinded that rating as they did not test the seat correctly.

Whatever you decide, get the carseat checked by a technician! You can go to http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cps/cpsfitting/Index.cfm to find a tech in the U.S.

Personally, I have the Graco Safeseat myself and loved how easy it was to install. Read the instructions of your carseat and use the LATCH system in your car if available. And definitely read the car manual as well!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2008 4:33:09 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Oh TGal, I should just copy and paste that list I wrote up awhile ago. As you know when I find a good product I LOVE to share the info. I have the baby trend snap ''n go and am in love with it. If I had to do it over again I would not have gotten the travel system. I do love my Chicco car seat and it is top rated. Also I high suggest those little toys that hang from the car seat bar. Really keeps baby T busy. She loves playing with them. Mine are sassy brand.

ETA: if anyone has a copy of my list on your hard drive can you post it. I am feeling lazy today
3.gif
I have your list Tacori, I will paste it...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here it is...Tacori''s most EXCELLENT list which I saved because she''s such a doll for writing this all up!

Re: Registering
Diapers: Tessa is STILL in newborns (skinny mini) at two months. Just don''t open the packages so you can return them if TTot turns out to be a healthy size. Cloth diapers make GREAT spit rags (that is what we lovingly call them). I use one (or a flannel receiving blanket. Good thing we have so many!) at EVERY feeding and to burp. Plus she vomits randomly so we go through a lot.

Bibs: You will need them but I wouldn''t register for them. People give those kind of things for gifts. Of course you probably don''t need 50 like we have.

Wipes: I *love* huggie''s wipes. They are thicker than pampers. My mom got Tessa a wipe warmer for x-mas (spoiled, spoiled). It is nice but not a must. They do get kind of pissed with the cold wipes at first but honestly by the time I got it I think she was used to it.

Diaper Pail: I started off with the diaper champ, broke right away. I ended up getting the cheapest at BRU (after a mom told me to get it the FIRST time around. I did not listen) I love it. Works great. Uses regular bags. Upstairs we just have a covered trash can. Those work fine too IMHO.

Bathing: I do like the baby washcloths with the soap already in them. They are handy. Also we use huggie''s body/hair soap. Nice it is all ONE product. We only used her newborn bath once. She hated it so now we give her sponge baths (I put a towel down on the bathroom counter). Seems to be less tramatic for her. She also likes going into the shower with use (believe it or not). We usually rinse her in there. You don''t NEED special baby washcloths but I am sure you will get some as gifts. Baby bathrobe, no no! You''ll NEVER use it. Hooded towels are nice though.

Baby gowns: LOVE them! Perfect for diaper changes at 3 am! Get/register for at least 4. You will have poop blowouts so you need back-ups. Kind of depends how often you want to do laundry.

Baby one piece outfits: learn from my mistake. ONLY REGISTER FOR ZIPPED ONES! I *HATE* all those tiny snaps. So annoying. Actually most if not all the clothes we gifts so I didn''t have any control but I wish they all had zippers.....I heart zippers. For some reason everyone bought me 3-6 month outfits so avoid buying any of your own (in that size). Tessa is still in 0-3 months. Actually carter''s newborn stuff still fits her.

Baby onesies & tees: I have a ton. I think 6 of each size would be good but again depends on how much laundry you want to do. Tessa gets several clothes changes (since she spits all over herself). Everything gets soaked. I personally like the tagless ones b/c I imagine they are more comfortable for baby. Get at least 3 kimono type newborn tees (short or long sleeve depending on season) for the early weeks. She would wear that, diaper, sleep sack for bed. Seemed easier than putting something over her head when she was so new. I don''t use them anymore, just the onesies. Make sure you button ALL three snaps. We had a nasty experience when we just did the center one (sleep deprived) and it created a thong and moved her diaper to one side. Poop got everywhere. We never made that mistake again!

Newborn cap: never used one. They don''t fit my little pinhead anyways

Newborn socks: They are not all created equally. I *heart* old navy but their''s always fall off. I wish I knew the brand of our one kind. Stay in play all day. I''ll look. I would get at least 6 pairs (or how ever many come in a package). She doesn''t wear them at night b/c I am so afraid of overheating (SIDS concern) and her sleep bags are closed at the bottom so I am sure her feet are warm.

Sleep sacks: DH likes the ones that zip down the middle, I like the ones that zip on the side (I like to slide the clothes out of the way when changing her diaper, that poop can be messy ) We have 4. 2 long sleeve, 2 sleeveless. We have had to change them midnight (b/c of blow-outs).

Pants: I would get a few pairs. Again I like to avoid the button situations. Plus she looks so cute in them (with matching hoodies). Also good for hanging out at home since it is hard to use the safety strap on the swing (etc) in the sleep gowns.

Lotion: my doc likes baby aveeno. Also we have the lavender, sleep stuff from Johnson''s.

Brush: she has hair so we do brush it. I haven''t used the comb yet though.

Pacifiers: get a few brand. Never know which baby will like. Tessa used the soothies but now seems to like ones with larger nipples (like the mam''s or avents).

Swaddles: I personally do not like the ready made swaddle blankets. Not right enough for my crying monster. The waffle fabric ones work the best! You can get that baby wrapped super tight and it does work. Even if they fight it at first. Swaddling is a GREAT calming tool. She slept swaddle for a long time too. Still does if she gets fussy.

Baby bedding: You don''t need much. Our crib has a mattress pad, fitted sheet, then the ultimate crib sheet which Chrono suggested. She hasn''t slept in her crib yet though. They saw not to use sheet savers or anything loose. Don''t worry about crib quilt, skirt, etc unless you have the money to spend on them.

Baby carrier: we don''t really use ours. We have a baby bijoin (sp?) active and MIL bought me a sling for x-mas. Tessa HATES the sling. Covers her face and she gets mad.

Car seat: love our chicco. I also have some hanging Sassy toys on the handle. She likes to stare at them.

Mirror: I really like having a mirror so I can see her while driving.

Bundleme: So nice to have since she is a fall baby. I got the matching hat for fun (though it doesn''t fit). Keeps her nice and warm.

Stroller: like I said before I wish we didn''t waste MIL''s money on a travel system since I am IN LOVE with our snap ''n go. I would skip the system and get the snap ''n go only ($40-$50). Light, easy, so wonderful!

Swing: LOVE it. Great to stop crying and get her to fall asleep. We have two now. Full size downstairs and travel in our bedroom. She hangs out it in A LOT!

Bouncy Chair: also good to have. Ours vibrates and plays music. She slept in it for the first 6 weeks (b/c of her spitting).

Pack''n Play: a must for 2 story homes. Not sure you would need one in an apartment though.

Activity Gym: You will be surprised how quickly they can use one. Anything that entertains is a GOOD thing!

Diaper bag: personal choice. I have a vera bradley b/c I just like it. The hospital does give you one before you leave (ours was black perfect for DH). I keep this little formula storage container (for emergencies), a bottle, lots of diapers in this fabric envelope thing (zip-lock would work. Keeps them from getting destroyed), travel wipes, extra zip locks (for dirty diapers), mat (came with bag), 1 extra outfit, extra bib, 2 receiving blankets (one for cover, one for spit), extra paci, lansinol, mini thing of baby lotion & diaper cream, camera, mini thing of sanitizer, errr...I think that is it.

Bassinet: our pack ''n play has a removable one. She is still sleeping in that. Nice to have *something* so baby can sleep with you. Makes BFing much easier.

Glider: check out mine in the nursery thread. Haven''t used it much yet but once she moves onto the nursery I will nurse her there. Right now I have a $15 study pillow. So nice to BF in bed since you need to be sitting up straight.

Changing tables: we talked about that already. You really just need the pad and can use it anywhere. If you are going to use bed/floor/sofa get a large waterproof lap cloth to protect your bed/floor/sofa.

Boppy: VERY nice. I do however use a blanket to fill in the "gap" and raise her head up a bit since she is still so small.

Nursing pads: I like the fabric/washable ones better. More comfortable. The others irritated my skin. You will need them. You will leak a lot at first.

Lansinol: a must at first. I don''t use it much anymore. Great to put on before you shower otherwise the water will hurt.

Nursing bras: I just wear the nursing tanks (wish I hadn''t spent $100 on nursing bras ) I bought mine from Target. Inexpensive (I think $15) and comfortable. Great to sleep in too!

Breast pump: I *hate* to pump so I am glad I bought a cheap one. Plus it is so much easier just to BF (I don''t work outside the home). I have pumped before for relief and she does get formula a few times a week. We have the medela bottles (BPA free) also nice b/c they fit into my pump and the born free ones. Plastics is ones of my issues.

Dishwasher basket: great to clean pacis, bottles, nipples etc....the steam bags are also nice to sanitize.

New mother care: the hospital will send you home with everything you need. You might need some extra tucks and pads. I bleed for awhile (5 weeks or so). Don''t waste money on a nursing shawl unless you really want one. You don''t NEED one. A blanket works fine. I brought pjs with me to the hospital, won''t do that again. I was bleeding so much so just stuck with the hospital gown. You will need Colace (or something similar NOT that you will be registering for it but just to remind you). Also still take your prenatal if you are nursing.

Health & safety:
They will give you the nasal bulb to take home. All you need is something for the nails (clippers, file, etc...) We have the angel care monitor (which we haven''t used yet since she rooms with us). I just turn on my bedside light to nurse but she does have a night light in her nursery. Diaper rash cream is good to have on hand.

CD player: found an awesome website for white noise, www.babysleepsound.com you can download different sounds (womb sounds, running water, hair dryer, etc...) We got 7 different sounds (I think it was 7) for $5.99. Knocks Tessa right out. I splurged and got one with a remote so I can turn it on at 4 am w/o getting out of bed.

Okay, I think that is everything. That took me a long time! I am sure I missed something but you won''t get everything you want. I still don''t have a highchair. There were other things I wanted/needed sooner. Also I don''t have any safety stuff (outlet covers etc since again we don''t need those right away).

ETA: Like Monnie mentioned you will go through a TON of thank you cards! Stock up! Also we went to Sam''s before and stocked up on TP, paper towels, trash bags, etc...basically anything to get us through the first few weeks. Bring some snacks to the hospital too.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks TGal...another thing about the Chicco (and maybe other brands do this too) but the base has a little level in it (you know the two lines with the bubble) and that helps you know it is installed correctly too (but I agree a professional would be the best to consult). The infant insert is also great for little babies.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2008 4:36:44 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Thanks TGal...another thing about the Chicco (and maybe other brands do this too) but the base has a little level in it (you know the two lines with the bubble) and that helps you know it is installed correctly too (but I agree a professional would be the best to consult). The infant insert is also great for little babies.
The safeseat also has a level on the side of the carseat. We found that helpful as well. Honestly, I know the snugride is popular, but I''d go safeseat...easier to install. Yes, it''s heavier, but with a snap and go type stroller, I don''t think it would be that tough. Plus you get to use it to 30 lbs...helpful for bigger babies.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
oh my god...i never realized how much there is to buy!
emsmileo.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have been checking into this BLOG every day. Best site for seeing what bargains are out there in the baby world. It''s called babycheapskate and it''s awesome!

http://babycheapskate.blogspot.com/

E B

Ideal_Rock
I've posted this *somewhere* in the pregnant thread, but who knows where!

This sling is called a Peanut Shell, and I imagine it's how we'll be carrying our (future) peanut most of the time in the early months. It'll be one of my first purchases!

peanutshell1.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually received a portable swing as a shower gift. it folds up so you can take it with you anywhere. with to older kids on the go I hope it will come in handy at the pool/park/ etc. i''ll report back how practical and useful it is once i actually am using it.

E B

Ideal_Rock
As for a stroller, we might forgo the travel systems (I've heard they're heavy and not easy to lug around) and do something more lightweight. I've heard good things about Maclaren and Peg Perego. Not cheap, but worth it if it gets enough use.

Love this one, and it folds into a carriage!

ETA: Just looked at the price.
23.gif

pegperego1.jpg

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
My number one favorite thing was my Baby Bjorn active carrier. We used it daily from a few weeks to my monster was over 25 pounds!!!!

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
TGal - I think you may have just invented a new phenomenon called "cyber-nesting"!! Are you cleaning your house too?

It is fun watching all of you experience the wonders of pregnancy. I am feeling a little nostalgic lately, as my kids are 13, 11 and 9 now, and I feel like time is just flying by. My 13 year old is growing up entirely too fast. Part of me is enjoying seeing him turn into an independent and mature young adult, and the other part of me wants to have my baby back. He is almost as tall as me now, (and I am tall!), and is starting to have a better social life than DH and I!

Enjoy these precious days and Congrats to all of the mommies (and daddies) to be!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2008 5:24:11 PM
Author: LitigatorChick
My number one favorite thing was my Baby Bjorn active carrier. We used it daily from a few weeks to my monster was over 25 pounds!!!!

Tessa likes our Bjorn (we have the active too) better than the sling. She HATED the sling and SCREAMED whenever we put her in it. I think b/c her vision was obstructed and that really pisses her off.

MrsS, we have a travel swing in addition to our cradle swing and we love it. We use it upstairs in our bedroom. It is a lifesaver when I shower, or need her to nap, or now a perfect place for her to watch cartoons.

EBree, love the look of that stroller (I love circles) but I would suggest getting one in a darker color...there will be a many of poop blow outs.
14.gif
Might ruin the chic look
2.gif

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh, lots of things to think about. Funny how I still feel a bit like I'm living vicariously through everyone else, until I realize that as of October, my baby-craziness will no longer be vicarious! It's still hard to wrap my head around that concept.

EBree, I liked the idea of the Peg Perego Skate as well, but supposedly it is ridiculously heavy. And pricey! Haven't seen one in person though. I've been psychotically researching strollers (and stalking moms who are pushing them) for a while now. I babysit for a little girl in the building next to us, and it has made me hyper-aware of all the pros/cons of different kinds of strollers for everyday city-use. She has a Quinny Buzz which is very cool-looking and pushes like a dream, but is sometimes a bit wide for narrow store aisles (25" wheel base), and a bit heavy. EVERYONE has a Bugaboo... I see literally a dozen every time I walk through the park. But there is often a reason something becomes that popular... it really is an ideal urban stroller. The UppaBaby Vista gets good reviews as a Bugaboo-killer, but I saw one the other day and it was HUGE. The Stokke Xplory is very interesting but also really pricey. I'd really like to see a Valco Rad in person.

My main requirements are: durable and high-quality (since it will be our primary mode of transportation... I rarely drive), smooth ride over bumpy city sidewalks, wheelbase as narrow as possible, and bassinet attachment (since I'll be using it in our apartment as a bassinet as well). Considering all that, so far I think the Bugaboo might be in the lead.... not to mention its excellent resale value. I just wish it wasn't quite so much of a cliche.
37.gif

Love to hear suggestions/experiences from other city moms (or suburban moms looking at the same types of strollers)!

E B

Ideal_Rock
ephemery- It''s heavy? Bummer. Well, scratch that!
41.gif
I''ll definitely keep my eye on this thread for lightweight stroller recommendations. The system TG posted looks interesting!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a Peg Perego with my first two. it was compact, folded easily, lightweight but it didn''t have a cup holder for me and that drove me nuts. they sell an attachement thing now but it''s not the same. this time I got the Chicco Travel system for my boy. I have a van so it doesn''t have to fit into a tiny place and i like the cup holder and key holder thing. I don''t jog so it''s fine for neighborhood walks or a trip to the mall.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/19/2008 5:59:22 PM
Author: EBree
ephemery- It''s heavy? Bummer. Well, scratch that!
41.gif
I''ll definitely keep my eye on this thread for lightweight stroller recommendations. The system TG posted looks interesting!
I think it''s officially listed at 34lbs. I don''t know if that''s enough to totally scratch it off the list, since it is a really cool stroller... I guess it would depend on a test-drive. For comparison, the Bugaboo Frog is 19lbs.

Fun tidbit: on YouTube, you can search for a particular stroller and often find both user and professional reviews... really great way to check out how it works without actually seeing it in person!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
34lbs!
23.gif
wow I must be a weakling. Also don''t forget you''ll have a baby in the car seat so add 10+ lbs to that. Makes me glad I have a peanut but at least my arms will get toned.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2008 6:14:30 PM
Author: ephemery1
Date: 3/19/2008 5:59:22 PM

Author: EBree

ephemery- It's heavy? Bummer. Well, scratch that!
41.gif
I'll definitely keep my eye on this thread for lightweight stroller recommendations. The system TG posted looks interesting!

I think it's officially listed at 34lbs. I don't know if that's enough to totally scratch it off the list, since it is a really cool stroller... I guess it would depend on a test-drive. For comparison, the Bugaboo Frog is 19lbs.

Fun tidbit: on YouTube, you can search for a particular stroller and often find both user and professional reviews... really great way to check out how it works without actually seeing it in person!

I just took a look at the Bugaboo website and I LOVE the Frog and the Chameleon. Will definitely keep Bugaboo in mind when the time comes.

p.s. I just realized I'm the only person in this thread without a child!
3.gif

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
I almost forgot to mention my most recent stroller obsession! The I''coo Targo... it is fairly new and super-cool. Haven''t seen this one in person either, but it is a narrow-ish wheelbase (23.5 in), weighs 22lbs, includes a bassinet, adjusts to table height for use as a highchair, and has plenty of other fun little features. Comparable in price to the Quinny or Bugaboo. Now if I could just stumble across one in the park.....
10.gif

EBree, I was doing stroller research long before this baby started cooking! So no worries....

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
My "big" stroller is a Graco. It is fine - but we really don''t use a stroller much anymore.

My recommendation is my second stroller - a Combi travel stroller in Mandarin. It is basically a $100 umbrella stroller, kicked up serious notches. It folds up super small with a shoulder strap and weighs 11 pounds!!! I bought it for my nanny, since she takes Miller on trips on the bus, and the big stroller was a monster pain. This is so light and easy to deal with. And it is also great for travel, since it takes up so little space.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Do they make a Snap N Go for twins? I did some looking a while back and I was planning on buying this double Graco stroller. I think it comes with one car seat and we would have to purchase the second, but it would snap on behind the other.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is amazing that one so tiny needs to have so much stuff!

I think Britax car seats are the nicest but as far as safety ratings I am not sure. Just be sure you have installed it right, so many people do not put them in properly and the best one in the world cannot help if not properly installed.

Congrats to all you guys! It has been over 6 years since my third, so a lot of this stuff is new and improved!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results