shape
carat
color
clarity

Pre-summer talk: What is your idea of a vacation?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Mr. Fiery and I have completely different ideas of what a vacation is.

Mine: sitting on a chair, on the beach, and staring out into the ocean until its time to eat. My vacation spots: Keys, Naples, pretty much anywhere near water with not much to do. I require a really great hotel and prefer staying in resorts.

His: Go, Go, Go. His vacation spots: NYC, Vegas, any place that requires planning and lists of things to do ahead of time. He could care less about the hotel since he rather be out and about.

What are your vacations like?

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
For a long time, it was anywhere where I could take a shower or go to the bathroom uninterrupted!
9.gif
But my kids are bigger now so a real vacation involves: great scenery of any kind, great food, wine at lunch
31.gif
, no laundry done by me and if at all possible, lots and lots of maid service!

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
FI and I agree, sun, sand and drinks! I also LOVE cruising

Right now we are in Europe so we are trying to take mini-trips to see as much as we can to take advantage. People then look at me like I am crazy when I say I cannot wait for my honeymoon to Hawaii because I need a vacation. For me, European destinations require planning and sometimes a great deal of expense, lots of constant walking and being on the go. It is amazing (I was an art history and classics major so I do like it) but I like relaxing and I would not in a million years say my trip to Rome next weekend is a vacation. It is more like a to do (but in a good way if that makes any sense).

I am looking into a Greek Island cruise maybe so I can actually enjoy seeing some sights without having to do all the planning.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Vacation= Beach, sailing, a cruise, laying around until eating
A "Trip"= NYC, Vegas (when not at the pool all afternoon), Europe (hardly EVER sitting still), Disney World (I NEEDED a week of vacation to recover from this
20.gif
)

We like to do both, but I''ve noticed when I explained that we were going to NYC last summer, I always called it a trip or just said "We''re going to" instead of "We''re taking vacation to". We were up at 8 every morning, and didn''t go to bed till after midnight... just like at Disney World. Go, go, go.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 10:20:04 AM
Author: meresal

We like to do both, but I''ve noticed when I explained that we were going to NYC last summer, I always called it a trip or just said ''We''re going to'' instead of ''We''re taking vacation to''. We were up at 8 every morning, and didn''t go to bed till after midnight... just like at Disney World. Go, go, go.
That''s how I feel about places like NYC too. I "visit" NYC, I don''t vacation there. Our first "vacation" together, I treated him to a trip to NYC. It was his first time there. We barely slept. Once he realized that people were still walking around Time Square at 2AM, he never wanted to go to bed. At the end of the trip he says "that was the best vacation ever." That was *not* a vacation in my eyes lol

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 10:01:14 AM
Author:fieryred33143

Mine: sitting on a chair, on the beach, and staring out into the ocean until its time to eat. My vacation spots: Keys, Naples, pretty much anywhere near water with not much to do. I require a really great hotel and prefer staying in resorts.

His: Go, Go, Go. His vacation spots: NYC, Vegas, any place that requires planning and lists of things to do ahead of time. He could care less about the hotel since he rather be out and about.

backyard vacation !!
39.gif

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Someone once said that the definition of a vacation was "Two weeks after which you are too tired to go back to work and too poor not to."

My definition of a vacation involves relaxing. That means no schedules, no deadlines, no rushing about to see different things. Yes, I will look around and experience the location, but on my own time. I don''t understand people who plan every last detail of a vacation. All they are doing is setting themselves up for stress and disappointment when things don''t go exactly as planned. And yet, some people enjoy that.
33.gif
Oh well, to each their own.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 10:25:05 AM
Author: fieryred33143

Date: 4/23/2009 10:20:04 AM
Author: meresal

We like to do both, but I've noticed when I explained that we were going to NYC last summer, I always called it a trip or just said 'We're going to' instead of 'We're taking vacation to'. We were up at 8 every morning, and didn't go to bed till after midnight... just like at Disney World. Go, go, go.
That's how I feel about places like NYC too. I 'visit' NYC, I don't vacation there. Our first 'vacation' together, I treated him to a trip to NYC. It was his first time there. We barely slept. Once he realized that people were still walking around Time Square at 2AM, he never wanted to go to bed. At the end of the trip he says 'that was the best vacation ever.' That was *not* a vacation in my eyes lol
Lots of great things happen in the middle of Times Square after 1 in the morning
28.gif
. Another rule of thumb, if I can't go to at least one restaurant in my bathing suit, whether it be breakfast/lunch/or dinner, I'm NOT on a vacation!

jet2ks- If we're on a "Trip", we usually have an idea of a few things we would like to do, but don't set up a POA until we get there, get a feel of the area, and can see what the weather is going to be like. Vacations though, it's all about what feels right at the moment. Unless of course, we have a tee time.
3.gif

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
I miss my horse..

My perfect vacation would be to see him again and just hop on and ride away. I don''t even know if I''d come back!

Realistically.. I''d like to go to Georgia. Forever.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mrs AprilBaby: anything with a beach, an ocean, a colorful umbrella, a mai tai and a book.

Mr AprilBaby: a big city with stuff to look at, walk till you drop, get exercise, rush, rush, rush...

tlh

Ideal_Rock

you sound like me... your mr sounds like my DH. :D we often compromise, and switch vacations to accomodate both of our styles...

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I would love to travel to Europe/Africa/Asia/South America and visit neat cities, eat local foods, visit musuems, local sites and look at architecture.

I love nature trips too, like grand canyon, REdwood national forest, Old Faithful, etc.

I am DYING to spend a week ''backpacking'' down the PCH on a motorcycle, but I''d settle for a convertible...
9.gif

I''m pretty sure SO likes quiet, being able to sleep in, and lounging. I like a moderate pace, but doing enough activities that I don''t feel like I missed out on great opportuniites that I could have only done locally.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock

I''m really bad at holidays, and don''t do them very often. But Firey, I''m right with you. Please tell us some of the resorts that meet your expectations.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 1:06:43 PM
Author: Gailey

I''m really bad at holidays, and don''t do them very often. But Firey, I''m right with you. Please tell us some of the resorts that meet your expectations.
haha Anything that feels like I can eat off of the floors, a huge bed, a big balcony, overlooking the ocean, etc.
2.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
D and I can never sit still on holidays so we travel very well together. We love going to cities where there are lots of things to do and usually get up really early (about 7-8am) and keep going until the evening. Neither of us are fond of relaxing holidays.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I am so not a beach vacation kinda person. Some of that probably has to do with my very pale skin and tendancy to burn ... haha. Oh, and I consider 80 degrees way too hot
14.gif
I did love love love my trip to the Bahamas last year, but we also kept very busy with fishing, snorkling, etc and I really didn''t spend much time sitting on the beach watching the water.

I don''t necessarily prefer city trips over country trips, I guess I like a bit of both. I just like to be doing stuff, even if it''s the simple things like walking around or catching fish for dinner.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
We''re both somewhere in the middle, but more towards the active end of the spectrum. We have taken semi-relaxing vacations (going to Wine Country, tasting wine, walking around, hanging out, but still somewhat active) and very active vacations (London, tons of walking/sightseeing and out most evenings) and have enjoyed both. I think we''ll continue to take both kinds, and enjoy both, but I don''t think either of us will ever be sit-on-a-beach-with-a-drink types
1.gif

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
My idea of a vacay is anywhere where I can drink at 2 pm without judgment.
11.gif

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
My idea of the perfect vacation used to involve the beach. But now I really don''t enjoy those kind of trips nearly as much. (with the exception of last summer in Hawaii which I really did enjoy) I am all about neat scenery, great restaurants, shopping, with maybe some hiking thrown in to work off the calories. Our recent trips have been to Sedona (with a day trip to the Grand Canyon), Rocky Montain National Park and Vail, and we just came back from Carmel and San Francisco. (took a drive through Big Sur and absolutely loved it) My new motto is when you''ve seen one tropical beach you''ve seen them all-lol. I just feel there are so many awesome places to explore I can''t imagine only ever going to the beach. My DH however, likes the beachy type trip so I suppose I will have to compromise occasionally and do a beach destination.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
My idea of a vacation:
1. Sleep in as long as I want
2. Stay out as long as I want
3. Do things on the spur of the moment
4. No TV, No newspaper, No cell phone/phone, No email, No work!
5. Just relaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx!

Sha

Ideal_Rock

I love the beach and tropical nature - eg. lush greenery, mountains, cool water, sunshine.....aahhhh....so any vacation like that appeals to me.

I already live in the Caribbean, but would love to go to Hawaii one day. That's my dream vacation spot right now. Bali and Fiji are also good!

DH, on the other hand, loves cold weather and metropolitan life, so his dream vacation would be the U.S or Europe.

We both like a combination of relaxing and exploring.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 2:23:57 PM
Author: doodle
My idea of a vacay is anywhere where I can drink at 2 pm without judgment.
11.gif
I think I manage to do that on any and all vacations. I''m on vacation and I don''t care who''s judging me
3.gif

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
FI and I had this discussion when we were talking about honeymoons. I told him my top choice would be a S. Africa. He said "Oh... so you want to dostuff."

So me: Go, go, go. Cool not-every-day stuff though like safari, white water rafting, haggling for wares in a bazaar, etc.
Him: beaches, sleeping, waiters that bring you drinks at the beach, more sleeping.

I can do the lazy vacation too, but only for few days. I need to do stuff, as my FI put it. :)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

My husband and I are exactly like that. He likes to run around, check out sites, and make the most of every minute. I''m a fan of laying around and doing nothing except things we can''t normally do on a daily basis with the kids like eat out, movies, and drinking!
1.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Mark and I surprising travel a lot considering how busy our worklife is...

Our trips vary a lot depending on what we want out of the trip. My two favorite places to are Las Vegas and South Beach. South Beach is our R&R trip...we hunker down at Loews for a 7 or 8 days rarely leaving the property because there isn''t much that appeals to me there shopping-wise. Las Vegas is our do everything/see everything trip...I shop, we dine, we gamble, and sight see.

This year, Loews is under contruction, so we''re headed to Vegas for 8 days in August.

When we''re there, I love to stay on the strip and we go-go-go!

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 3:18:58 PM
Author: lliang_chi
FI and I had this discussion when we were talking about honeymoons. I told him my top choice would be a S. Africa. He said ''Oh... so you want to dostuff.''

So me: Go, go, go. Cool not-every-day stuff though like safari, white water rafting, haggling for wares in a bazaar, etc.
Him: beaches, sleeping, waiters that bring you drinks at the beach, more sleeping.

I can do the lazy vacation too, but only for few days. I need to do stuff, as my FI put it. :)
South Africa is our top choice for our honeymoon too!

FI loves to go-go-go on our vacations and my dream in life is to buy a house by the ocean and suntan all day
1.gif
. Most of our vacations though are a nice mixture of both. For reference, some of vacations have included: hiking 60 kms in 2 days, running a half marathon (me), kitesurfing all day (him) while I relaxed on the beach, and trekking through 3 countries in Europe in 2 weeks while relaxing at a villa for a third week.

For our honeymoon we are considering: 1 week for sightseeing and World Cup events (next summer), 1 week to climb Kilimanjaro, 1 week to relax on the beach.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
DH and I are in the go-go-go group. A vacation to me means I am able to see and do things I could never do in my daily life. I love the beach--I fiind the ocean to be very relaxing and could never live far from it, but vacations for me are one-of-a-kind experiences and if I''m idle I feel like I''m missing out on something. My ideal vacation would involve no hotels, just sleeping on trains on my way to another city. I think I could wear the same set of clothes and not shower for at least 3-4 days at a time!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ours are somewhere inbetween. I don''t like beaches and sitting still. That''s boring to us. But the city and gogogo doesn''t leave any room for relaxation. We typically go to a bed and breakfast in the country and spend the days hiking fairly far (around 5-12 miles) and evenings in the pub. We also like camping. Camping as in carrying everything you need for a week on you back. The days are spent walking and looking at pretty scenery, and the evenings in pubs if we can make ourselves presentable enough and local one.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Good Vacation:

Scenic
Just cool enough
Just warm enough
Soaking up local culture wherever
Finding special shops/restaurants/locales
No itinerary
Great food
Clean and comfortable accomodations
Luxury would be . . . luxurious (and much appreciated)

Bad Vacation:

Sleeping under the stars
Catching one''s own breakfast, lunch, and dinner
Getting a sunburn the first day
Sand fleas/mosquitos/flies
Rundown motels
Bad food
The trots from bad food
Nothing to do
Driving 30 miles or more to civilization
High tourist season anywhere
Traffic jams

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
High thread count linens, big spa tub, some shopping near by, great restaurants and some place to swim, and soak. Perferably a spa nearby. No agenda, just do what you want, when you want. I need an internet connection, a TV and a really awesome mattress. I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere and eating tree grubs and hiking, or in the middle of a concrete jungle surrounded by smog (unless it's for a short time and the place is REALLY historic). I like balance. John is fortunately very similar.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results