shape
carat
color
clarity

Pre-made Halo Settings for Pear Shape Diamond

Kimqqqq

Rough_Rock
Hello PSers! I am new here.

My boyfriend and I just bought a pear shape diamond. 0.8 ct, F, VS2, 1.48 L/W ratio, Excellent Polish, and symmetry. I am looking for settings and I love Halo personally, but at the same time, my boyfriend has a tight budget for the settings. I really love these two settings from B2C:

I did some research and see people saying that all these settings from either B2C, Blue Nile, James Allen, all different store like that, are all pre-made to fit a scope of diamond sizes. For example, if I want to set my 0.8 ct, they will just send me a pre-made cookie-cutter setting that fits 0.75 ct for me to get it mounted. The problem is that pear diamonds come with all different ratios. Mine is a little bit fatter than the ones that are 1.55 or 1.60. So I am worried about how will the halo look like. To exaggerate it, a standard pre-made setting will not look right for a diamond with a 2.0 L/W ratio. And I personally do not like huge gaps between the stone and the halo part. Plus, I received their "try it for free" kit with duplicated rings, and one of them has a fatter fake pear diamond on it. The curvy side of the diamond actually covers a little bit of the halo, and I do not want something like that to happen to me. ;(

I would like to go for a customized one, but to be honest, those are going to be twice as much as the price and my boyfriend has a tight budget.

I wonder if anybody has had their pear diamond mounted by any of these pre-made settings? How do they look like?

Thank you guys very much!:geek2:
Kim

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Hi! These mountings are made to generally accommodate standard, somewhat calibrated size stones. It is based on mm, not ct. weight. Unless your stone really deviates, there is an allowance to accommodate some of these mountings. It really depends on the mounting and your stone's particular measurements. Given that they are mass-produced, it may or may not sit in the mounting exactly as you want it to. And you said you don't like an air line look. If the belly of your pear was covering part of the halo on the sample mounting, it is not the correct size for your stone. I just recently wanted to get a pair of earrings reset... emerald gemstones of oval shape. I also wanted them in little halos and to save money by ordering mass-produced pre-set mountings. However, the mm size of my stones were not of standard calibrated sizes to fit into the ready-made mountings and I will have to go custom :(
So, unfortunately, that may be your only option. It is very difficult to shop for a mounting for a specific diamond, especially when you are talking about a fancy shape where there can be variations in dimensions via an online vendor, given they don't have your stone. Have you considered working with a local jeweler? They can see your stone and show you what they could order in for you and they will know if it will fit. Otherwise you will have to go custom. Yes, it is a lot more money. I totally understand the issue of laying out the cash for that after buying the diamond. My suggestion would be for you at this time to set it in an inexpensive solitaire mounting so you can wear it, and then save up for a custom halo. In the meantime, while you are saving up, you can work with a jeweler on what you want your halo to look like, etc.

Kimqqqq

Rough_Rock
Hi! These mountings are made to generally accommodate standard, somewhat calibrated size stones. It is based on mm, not ct. weight. Unless your stone really deviates, there is an allowance to accommodate some of these mountings. It really depends on the mounting and your stone's particular measurements. Given that they are mass-produced, it may or may not sit in the mounting exactly as you want it to. And you said you don't like an airline look. If the belly of your pear was covering part of the halo on the sample mounting, it is not the correct size for your stone. I just recently wanted to get a pair of earrings to reset... emerald gemstones of oval shape. I also wanted them in little halos and to save money by ordering mass-produced pre-set mountings. However, the mm size of my stones was not of standard calibrated sizes to fit into the ready-made mountings and I will have to go custom :(
So, unfortunately, that may be your only option. It is very difficult to shop for a mounting for a specific diamond, especially when you are talking about a fancy shape where there can be variations in dimensions via an online vendor, given they don't have your stone. Have you considered working with a local jeweler? They can see your stone and show you what they could order in for you and they will know if it will fit. Otherwise, you will have to go custom. Yes, it is a lot more money. I totally understand the issue of laying out the cash for that after buying the diamond. My suggestion would be for you at this time to set it in an inexpensive solitaire mounting so you can wear it, and then save up for a custom halo. In the meantime, while you are saving up, you can work with a jeweler on what you want your halo to look like, etc.

Thank you very much for your suggestions! I will go to a local jeweler and see what they can do. I should have known the problem of the settings when I bought my stone. I personally like the fat pear shape better, but it is hard to have it mounted to the pre-made settings.
I also bought an emerald ring recently. Emeralds are super beautiful aren't they?:kiss2:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I know it is a total bummer! I, too, like the "fatter" pear shapes! Better you got the diamond you like, and deal with a mounting later. I know we all want things NOW, especially because you just got your diamond and want to show it it everyone in it's permanent setting, but I don't think you would've been happy with a more elongated pear shape. And if you end up putting it in a plain setting for now, and want to tell people that it is just a temp setting, you don't have to say anything like "we didn't have the funds right now"... you can just say you are working on designing a mounting! But you may end up being able to get the semi-mount... a jeweler can look at your diamond and then source mountings that may work. One thing I want you to be aware of... many of the semi-mounts don't have the greatest of diamonds in them. You want to be sure to find out what they will be like... also ask if they order in a mounting and you don't like the stones can it be returned with no obligation to you. And don't go to like a mall chain store... go to a long-established family jeweler with a good reputation who does both custom jewelry and excellent repairs, but also who sells fine quality goods in their cases. The pre-made mountings I tried to get for my emeralds was initially ordered in as the "standard" and the stones were horrible. We were able to send those back to the supplier (this was all through my local jeweler I've worked with for many years). I just sort of "shelved" that project and now, a year later, decided I wanted to pursue it again. So they were going to order in for me the same mountings but with much higher quality stones (that I would be committed to buying as they were then special order) but the jeweler looked at what his assistant had done and said that my stones would not fit in the standard size settings. So I just wanted to point out this one thing to keep in mind with the pre-set mountings. Honestly, sometimes you get what you pay for and you really may be better off mounting in an inexpensive solitaire and then work with a jeweler of your choice on a custom piece for you diamond and get the pricing and then you will know what you need for it and how many dinners out you will have to skip and how many new pairs of shoes LOL! It will be worth it to do it right. Also, there's nothing that shouts out to the world "I'm Engaged!" more than a beautiful solitaire. And paris are so beautiful and really special. People don't see them as often so your ring will definitely be noticed even though it isn't in it's final mounting!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Stock Pear settings as you have found are different sizes that fits none.
On occasion one will be close enough that a good benchman can make it look good but in general they are a major compromise..

Kimqqqq

Rough_Rock
Stock Pear settings as you have found are different sizes that fits none.
On occasion one will be close enough that a good benchman can make it look good but in general they are a major compromise..

Yes I totally agreed that those are different sizes that fits none. Pear comes in all different ratios and there are curvy ones and almost triangle ones. If it is not customized it most likely won’t fit. I am now more comfortable with finding some jeweler to do it for me. It’s just all about the money.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results