shape
carat
color
clarity

pre-destination wedding airbrush tan

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

petuniaprincess

Rough_Rock
I am getting married in Mexico in April and I happen to have pale skin. I get a nice tan once I am out in the sun, but I don''t want to take any chances with burning or looking as pale as my ivory dress!!!

I found a salon that does airbrush tanning which worked great - I didn''t turn into an orange umpa lumpa and it lasted about 7-8 days. The only thing I''m worried about with that is possibly ''SWEATING'' before the ceremony and running the risk of the tan rubbing off on my dress.

I asked the salon and they indicated that they''d never heard of it happening before, yet they couldn''t guarantee it wouldn''t happen. So I''m questioning whether I should do it now. I would have it done before we leave - 10 days before the actual wedding day, so I think the airbrush tan will actually be gone by then...so I''m thinking I would really just have a nice base before arriving in Mexico and it''d be gone by the time of the wedding (when hopefully my real tan will kick in).

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? My dress is silk and I don''t want to ruin it...but I would like some color too :) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
I have done mystic tan, which is like the ghetto version of the true airbrush tanning- also I don''t get "real" tans anymore and only use fake tanner.
I would just make sure that you do the following:
1) exfoliate like a mad woman before going in- specifically around your elbows, the backs of your arms, your knees, and ankles- like the backs of your ankles? the less dead flaky skin when you go in the better. Dead skin is what holds onto the tanning stuff, so those places can get darker if you don''t exfoliate thoroughly.
2) get airbrushed at least a day before your wedding. I always do it in the evening, then sleep (your sheets can get dirty) then when you shower in the morning you will notice some of the tanning stuff washing off, but that''s just the bronzer component- the artificial tanner should have made you tan underneath it. I would NOT get airbrushed and then put your wedding dress on- that will definitely be a disaster.
3) be sure to moisturize like a maniac afterwards- to keep the faux glow! Just like the dry skin holds the tan, it also sheds more easily, so keep moisturized and your faux tan should last a while and not rub off!

good luck!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I was looking into airbrush tanning a few years ago and I was told (by the place that did it) that it can rub off. Maybe techniques have improved in the last few years, but it would make me nervous.

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
I have used mystic tanning a few times (the one with the booth) which is similar and it can definitely rub off. Not in normal day to day situations, but definitely with white and sweat...

I had a white bathing suit in mexico when I went and it definitely took on some of the tan colour on the edges.

Just my 2 cents!

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/11/2007 5:16:00 PM
Author: robbie3982
I was looking into airbrush tanning a few years ago and I was told (by the place that did it) that it can rub off. Maybe techniques have improved in the last few years, but it would make me nervous.
It will initially rub off- but they are supposed to be airbrushing on a combination of bronzer (that gives you immediate color and can and will come off) and a self-tanner, that should not rub off.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Before my DW I''m going to go get a real tan at a salon. Yes, I know it''s not good for me, but one little tan isn''t going to make too much of a difference, imo. Since I''ll be spending time on the beach anyway, I might as well get a base tan so I don''t burn.

Besides, my face is tan even though I wear 30 spf everyday just from living somewhere sunny, so I want my shoulders and such to be the same color. Otherwise I look a bit odd in photos.

aquarius_ser

Shiny_Rock
MY DW is Nov 2 and I''m going for the real tan. I would love to do the Mystic Tan but I''m not taking any chances, it''s just not worth it to me.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, even a REAL tan has the potential to rub off on the fabric of your dress...I second another poster''s opinion on making sure to exfoliate properly before you tan whether it is airbrushed or natural or tanning bed. (DTNYC''s suggestion actually, I think). Just speaking from experience...I have stained lots of white bras after vacationing somewhere warm , lol!

Too bad there''s no protective coating they can spray on a wedding dress to help it keep from absorbing skin oils or coloration from pigments...kinda like a scotchguard for upholstery, ya know?

gail013

Shiny_Rock
You are onto something there Monarch! I wonder if scotchguard would work?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Can I put in a plea for you ladies that like to tan to be careful.

My FSIL was diagnosed with stage IV malignant melanoma in May last year. Her FI spotted a strange mole on her shoulder one day and two weeks later it was double the size. She was only 29. She has had a big operation and is now in the middle of a year of chemotherapy. She has just felt so ill for the last 9 months, lost loads of weight, her hair is falling out and she's constantly sick and exhausted.

She's getting married in September 2007, which should give her 6 months to recover from the drugs that finish in May.

Both my father and FI's father are MD's.

They told me that she has a 40% chance of surviving the next 5 years, but she can never consider herself 'cured' as it is the most unpredictable of all cancers.

They can't start to try for a family for at least the next 2 years and when they do it will increase the chance of the cancer returning.

It breaks my heart to see such a beautiful girl with a wonderful future husband and life ahead of her, too exhausted to want to even choose details for her wedding, and both of them no doubt in constant fear of losing each other.

Is it worth risking this for a tan?

My father has always banned me from tanning becuse I'm so pale and grew up in the Pacific so I am high risk. Fake ones are pretty good these days.

chickflick

Shiny_Rock
I had an airbursh tan on Friday before my Sunday wedding. I also had a strapless dress and nothing rubbed off at all. I loved the look and was really glad I''d had it done, as I''m a pale freckly kind of girl. I think you''ll be fine. Good luck!

Rockingout

Rough_Rock
just wondering Chickflick if your wedding was outside or if you were in a hot atmosphere at all? I have had the airbrush tan before, yet it was when it was like 40 degrees outside :)

I am only concerned since my wedding is in Mexico and I''m prone to "overheating" :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results