shape
carat
color
clarity

Potluck SOS! need help ASAP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I''m hoping there are some Sunday afternoon PSers on right now - I have a potluck at 4 today and I have NO idea what to make. I''d been planning on throwing together a Spring-y pasta salad, but the weather today turned really cold and I''m thinking something a little more comfort foodish is warranted. Host didn''t give any guidelines as to what to bring, so anything works.

It''s 1 now, so I have 3 hrs to get to the store and prep whatever dish I take.

Any suggestions for something warm, yummy, and sure to please?

jjdav

Shiny_Rock
Maybe a hearty, slightly spicy Chili? You can put it over pasta or use it as a dip
18.gif

http://www.famouschilirecipes.com

something quick would be baked bacon/prosciutto wrapped shrimp/scallop; if you''re looking for a main dish, some nice fried rice would probably work too. Takes very little time to make.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
A Broccoli salad is always tasty, easy and colorful!

You'll need:
One head of broccoli, (I usually add a bit more, maybe half of another broccoli bunch), cheddar cheese (cut up into chunks), add 1/2 cup raisins, a few slices crumbled bacon, onions diced up (if desired), pine nuts (or try with a different nut such as slivered almonds,( about 1/2 cup).

The dressing is easy..1/2 cup white sugar (more if needed), about 1 cup of mayo (not Miracle Whip), a tsp. mustard, 1/2 tsp vinegar.

Mix the dressing..stir in with all the other ingredients ..and voila !

Warm dips are always good..I usually make this AWESOME hot cheese dip (but you won't find the dry ingredients I use, in the US), or a hot artichoke dip. You can always look up recipes for those..I'm sure you'd find something familiar. The cheese dip consists of cream cheese, cheddar, mozzarela, and mayo , mixed with a lemon/dilly spice, 3 onion dip mix ,and the cheese/chives/bacon dip mix. (those 3 spice blends are what you can't buy in the US)
8.gif
unfortunately!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
King Ranch Chicken
you could buy a roasted chicken in the deli to make it easier

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Bebe, what is that?!

jjdav - I suggested Chili to my DH (the Chili king in our house) and he vetoed. Love the ideas for a quick app, but I think I probably need to bring something as a side. Fried rice is a good idea!

beau - thanks for the idea, but I think I want to stick to a warm dish. I heart broccoli salad in the summer, though! The cheese dip sounds great - too bad about the ingredients.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I made some tomato/mushroom/crab soup today.I use 1 can Campbell''s tomato soup + 1 can Campbell''s cream of mushroom soup + 1 can of crabmeat (whatever brand you like) + 1 can of milk. Mix and heat all ingredients until hot. I like to add about a 1/4 cup of dry sherry to this at the end of the cooking time for a little kick! About 3-4 servings. Very yummy and I serve it with freshly baked bread, but a warmed baguette is great too.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Elmorton, instead of serving in bowls you can put these in cups and get more servings.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always bring a shepherd''s pie to other people''s houses when we need to take something. It is really tasty and filling.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Bee, I love Shepherd''s pie! It''s a winter staple around here. Great idea!

Soocool - mmm, your soup sounds delish - noted for our menu later this week, actually :)

DH talked me into doing baked macaroni and cheese - it can be a side or a main, so that''s what I''m headed out to do now. Thanks so much for the great ideas in a hurry!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results