shape
carat
color
clarity

Potential gifts for my wife and sister this Christmas...Please give advice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,

I haven''t posted in quite sometime...since around the time I purchased my wife''s beautiful ring...however I do show up and read once in a while.

Kate and I have been happily married since 2004...but this 2006 has been an interesting year.

My wife and I had a beautiful baby boy in May...but unfortunately it was after my mother passed away from a sudden illness in February.

We are now approaching our first Christmas with him, and first without her.

So I was thinking of purchasing 2 rings...one for my sister, and one for my wife...basically to do a few things.

1. Give them something special in such a tough year.
2. Give them something that will remind them of this time, and connect them more as sisters/friends.
3. Celebrate the life of my mother/son.

So...here is the issue...especially with so many beautiful choices.

My wifes birthstone is a Sapphire.
My sisters and sons birthstone is an emerald.
My mothers birthstone is a Garnet.

I orignally was thinking Emerald for my wife anyways...so my sis would get her birthstone, and my wife would get my sisters/sons birthstone. After reading the various posts about not being a great idea with an emerald in a rind due to softness...I am not sure if it is the best option.

I do love Tsavorites which are Garnets, from what I understand...and could get them green in color, thus doing the color I wanted, but a little better suited for a ring...and having it be a nice reminder of my mother.

Lastly...there are so many beautiful colors of Garnets including one I just saw Mint Grossular Garnet from Merelani, so should I just go off the board and get a beautiful orange/red stone?

I also have to choose the cut...I am thinking oval or pear...quality, size, and price.

Please help me out with some opinions on what would make it potentially the most special.

-G

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color that looks best on her or the one she likes best is the obvious choice.

What color appears in her wardrobe the most?

You can decide the species/shape after the color.

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think green is the answer.

I am having a tough time deciding where to buy as well...since I want 2 top quality gems.

-G

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
What a nice thing to get them.
I''m not sure what the best sites are for tsavorite but I heard someone say that they had a good experience with ajsgems.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I have no advice about stone durability but your post really touched me. My dad died 2 years ago, shortly after I gave birth to my second daughter and it was that year that my sister in law and I became really close (she and my brother had been married for 10 years at that point). That same year at another famiily funeral 6 months after my dad died, my SIL could not make it and my brother told me that all the hours he saw his wife on the phone with me made him really happy that we had bonded after all those years. We had not lived close by and it was just missed circumstance. That was the year I started to think of her like my sister and not just my brother''s wife. We really got to know each other and leaned on each other.

Anyway, I think your idea for a ring for your sister and wife is so super special. I love green stones and think your conclusion makes a lot of sense for why green.

Congratulations on your baby. I know having such a young baby when my dad died really helped me through and was bittersweet at the same time.

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you for such a nice reply. It is comforting to know other people have shared in such experiences. There certainly will be a few emotions this Christmas, but it helps when people are so willing to share...just to change our perspective when we get too down. I hope you''re able to share stories about your father to your daughter...lots.

I checked out ajsgems, and they have a few I am interested in. I am either going to go for a tsavorite or a mandarin garnet, and may turn them into a pendant. It makes more sense there as opposed to an engagement type ring, now that I think of it.

If anyone has a style of pendent they think an oval/pear/cushion garnet would look good in please let me know.

-G

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
There''s so much you could do. Do you like white metal or gold? Bezel set or prong?

Recently I went to a jeweler to have some stones made into earrings and the jeweler let me look through a book to choose the settings. It''s always an option if you don''t find something online.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Moosejaw. If you were to give us an idea of what you want to spend, we may be able to help you. I did see an emerald ring on the Solomon Brother''s Clearance Sale.

I think this is incredibly sweet or you, by the way!

Were you going to get your wife and sister the same ring, two different rings, same gemstones, two different gemstones? I''m just a little unclear.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results