shape
carat
color
clarity

Posting photos of your engagement ring on Facebook... Tacky or just show-and-tell?

Posting photos of your engagement ring on Facebook. Is it tacky or just show-and-tell?

• Tacky! It seems like bragging to post a pic of your engagement ring.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Not tacky! You''re just sharing your joy and excitement!

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s an idea, make an engagement photos album and mix photos of your ring in there as well.

Honestly, its your facebook page. You could put photos of your big toe for goodness''s sake and it would still be okay. Not tacky at all. Its a joyous occasion, so don''t let anyone take that away from you. Can you link me your SMTR thread?
2.gif

I need to live vicariously through others who have such big beautiful stones LOL

hihowareyou

Shiny_Rock
Trade
i didn''t want to post pictures of my ring on facebook but i was at a family function and my cousin wanted to take a picture of it on her iphone. she promptly uploaded it to her facebook into a gallery with other friend''s rings and tagged my name on it.

i mentioned to her that i didn''t want it there but she didn''t understand why and i don''t have internet on my phone so couldn''t untag myself. it was there for the whole day before i could get to it so decided to leave it.

the picture is really blurry, you can''t even make out that it is an OMC
7.gif

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
I love it when people post their rings - but hey, I'm not a PS member because I hate diamonds. :)

I can see where some people might think it's tacky, but who cares? It's on your own facebook page, you can do with it what you want to.

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have a facebook... i''m still in the dark ages (myspace, lol).
but i did make an "engagement" mini-album.. there''s 6 pics.. most of the scenery from where the proposal happened, a pic of us right before it happened and a profile shot of my ring on a flower lol.

I don''t think it''s tacky. It''s actually really nice because my family that lives out of town was able to see the ring before Christmas lol.

of my friends that are engaged, some have pics of their rings on their myspaces, some don''t.

Do what you want
21.gif
.. don''t worry about what your friend said

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
I think it depends who you are and how it''s done. If you''re someone who brags about herself a lot and needs tons of attention, and you create a photo album of 25 ring shots, I might think that''s tacky. But if you''re generally a fairly modest person who has a jewelry hobby and is so thrilled to be engage that you throw some diamond pics in with the rest of your engagement photos, then I would probably not think twice about it.

iloveny

Shiny_Rock
My fiance posted a picture of my ring and tagged me in it. He was so proud of it, and the nice comments on the picture puffed him up a bit! I don''t think there''s anything wrong with it. If someone was going to be offended by a picture of an engagement ring, I would guess that they wouldn''t even look at the "engagement pictures" album anyway... I figure if people can post their sonograms, why shouldn''t people be allowed to post their engagement rings?!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/23/2009 1:13:11 AM
Author: iloveny
My fiance posted a picture of my ring and tagged me in it. He was so proud of it, and the nice comments on the picture puffed him up a bit! I don''t think there''s anything wrong with it. If someone was going to be offended by a picture of an engagement ring, I would guess that they wouldn''t even look at the ''engagement pictures'' album anyway... I figure if people can post their sonograms, why shouldn''t people be allowed to post their engagement rings?!

Oh, but some of us are freaked out by the sonogram pictures...

I also realized I''m the worst kind of hypocrite. I always look for pictures on FB where you can see the ring, and yet I think brazen hand shots are kind of tacky.

Yep, bad person!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2009 2:49:59 PM
Author: cammy85
I don''t know. I personally had an album called ''Engagement Photos'' from the day we got engaged. We went to brunch, had an outing afterwards and one of those pictures happened to be of my ring. I think if it has ''context'' I don''t find it as tacky as someone who makes it their profile picture, yanno?

Ditto. Maybe it''s just because I''m a PSer, but I''m always a leeetle disappointed when a recently engaged friend doesn''t post a pic of her ring - but that''s mostly because I want to see it!!
1.gif

But another friend recently got engaged and his fiancee posted pics of the engagement (since it was done while they were on a trip) and the ring as part of the trip album. I didn''t think that was tacky at all.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
My fiance posted a picture of my ring and tagged me in it. He was so proud of it, and the nice comments on the picture puffed him up a bit! I don''t think there''s anything wrong with it. If someone was going to be offended by a picture of an engagement ring, I would guess that they wouldn''t even look at the ''engagement pictures'' album anyway... I figure if people can post their sonograms, why shouldn''t people be allowed to post their engagement rings?!

The number of sonogram and pregnant (bare) belly pics I''ve seen on FB lately..... seems like EVERYONE from my high school class has decided to get pregnant at the same time.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Who cares what other people think? If you want to post a whole album on your own FB page, then it''s totally up to you. If people don''t like it or think that it''s tacky, they simply don''t have to click on your photo albums. Don''t let what other people may or may not think guide your life.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s not tacky at all; in fact, it''s a great way to show your ring to a bunch of friends at once who may not live near you. I''d love to see my friends'' rings that way!

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/24/2009 11:06:08 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

The number of sonogram and pregnant (bare) belly pics I''ve seen on FB lately..... seems like EVERYONE from my high school class has decided to get pregnant at the same time.
Uh, same here! I''ve seen SEVERAL people even post the peed on positive pregnancy test, which I find rather unnecessary!!! I''d rather see a diamond ring anyday
9.gif

supergirl10

Shiny_Rock
I voted tacky - i''m sorry but that''s just what I think.

I have seen it done nicely, like others have mentioned with scenary shots etc and when he proposed or whatever but no if it is just shots of the ring then no.

I was actually just thinking this the other day because a girl i went to high school with posted pics of her ring (and only ring) and that is the first thing I thought, tacky!

FI specifically asked me not to put any pictures up. He said he thought it was a private thing and did not want pics all over facebook and that anyone who meant something to us had seen the ring in person. Maybe it had something to do with the nasty comments from his family re: the cost of the ring?

Rock Your Socks

Shiny_Rock
i dont find it tacky. in fact i wish more of my engaged and married friends internationally, interstate or otherwise would post pics of their ring, mostly out of curiousity. Everyone loves seeing what your peers and friends have, right!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I think if it is done right, it is not tacky at all.

There have been a couple friends who have gotten very large rings, and the ring is the star of the photo album. Both girls also made their ring their profile picture. That to me was a bit much.

Most of my other friends who have been engaged have not posted their rings. Those that did, the engagement was the main event and the ring was just a supporting character. They usually had a ton of pictures of friends and family, and than a fuzzy hand shot of the ring. Or a picture of the couple with the guy holding the girl''s left hand. The ring was so small in the pic you could not get any details. I don''t think any of those scenarios are tacky, after all the ring is a part of the big day.

It is funny because one girl had a fuzzy picture (she also described it as an heirloom, it was her FI grandmother''s ring), and the FI came on and told her that pic was too fuzzy! So she had to come back with a clearer pic.

wsu12

Brilliant_Rock
I personally would not post photos of my own material possessions. However, I have several Facebook "friends" who chose to do so and I am neutral about this issue. On the other hand, I do have TONS of vacation photos and photos of my beloved dog....

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2009 4:31:39 PM
Author: fsu1227
I personally would not post photos of my own material possessions. However, I have several Facebook ''friends'' who chose to do so and I am neutral about this issue. On the other hand, I do have TONS of vacation photos and photos of my beloved dog....

I''m the exact same-I don''t like posting photos of material possessions however of holidays and pets etc, the more the merrier.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, I would have never thought in a million years that posting pictures of your e-ring could be considered tacky. Guess I'm an etiquette "don't"!
3.gif

Several of my friends, FB and RL, are into photography, so I tend to post pics of the subjects of most of my photography attempts; food pics for my cooking blog and my jewelry pictures. Sure, vacation pictures and some family stuff, too. Perhaps I'm an over-sharer.
5.gif

I suppose if someone finds that tacky, I feel like that's their problem; not mine. I don't find most people share their pics of their material items/fabulous vacations in a bragadocious manner, I believe many of them are just trying to share what makes them happy; person, place or thing.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the more the merrier! I love seeing bling pics! And food pics (yes I mean you Ms Partier!). They make me happy when I look at them.
9.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2009 5:44:33 PM
Author: Maisie
I think the more the merrier! I love seeing bling pics! And food pics (yes I mean you Ms Partier!). They make me happy when I look at them.
9.gif
30.gif
9.gif
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results