shape
carat
color
clarity

Post marriage wedding cakes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Hubby and I married at the courthouse so there was no actual wedding cake. Family made us a cake and we froze part of that for our first anniversary and he refuses to eat it.

I have since decided that I am going to order a wedding cake for us. What I want is a scaled down version of a full size wedding cake. I think it will be so adorable to have a small maybe 2 or 3 level wedding cake with the swags of fondant and all that is only like 6 to 12 inches wide. Do you have any suggestions or ideas about it. I am planning to get it delivered to our hotel room at the beach while we are out to dinner on the date of anniversary. Pictues would be much appreciated.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great minds think alike! We did that too! We eloped and did not have a wedding cake. On our first anniversary, I ordered a regular six-inch cake finished as a wedding cake (with white buttercream and swiss dots and fresh flowers) and picked that up on our way to the hotel we stayed at that weekend. It was perfect! Unfortunately, I had not thought to do tiers, otherwise I would have asked for that too!!

CaliCushion

Shiny_Rock
Radiant, I just wanted to say that you might think of using a frosting other than fondant. Fondant is very hasrd to work with, which makes it expensive. Also, I personally don''t like the taste. There is often buttercream or regular frosting underneath. While it''s great for using on large cakes that are going to be displayed for hours, it doesn''t seem like it would be necessary on a smaller cake. You can still get a small and beautiful wedding cake without fondant! Good luck, I''d love to see what you pick!

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I did a google search for them and it seems that you and I are the in the minority. I wish the guy would email me back already so that I can get this planned and budget for it. I am very excited for it. Since you ordered one, do mind me asking how much yours was? I am curious about what this is going to cost me.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/27/2009 12:23:26 PM
Author: CaliCushion
Radiant, I just wanted to say that you might think of using a frosting other than fondant. Fondant is very hasrd to work with, which makes it expensive. Also, I personally don''t like the taste. There is often buttercream or regular frosting underneath. While it''s great for using on large cakes that are going to be displayed for hours, it doesn''t seem like it would be necessary on a smaller cake. You can still get a small and beautiful wedding cake without fondant! Good luck, I''d love to see what you pick!
Thanks for the advice. I always wondered what that fondant tasted like. My mind is not set on that I just used that as an example. I really don''t care what they use as long as it tastes good, looks good and doesn''t drain my wallet. I am figuring a couple hundred give or take. Does that sound reasonable?

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/27/2009 12:31:52 PM
Author: radiantquest
I did a google search for them and it seems that you and I are the in the minority. I wish the guy would email me back already so that I can get this planned and budget for it. I am very excited for it. Since you ordered one, do mind me asking how much yours was? I am curious about what this is going to cost me.
You are likely not in the same area as me, but just so you get an idea of what I ordered, our cake was similar to the first one pictured, only it was just a single-tier, double layer cake:

http://www.originaltakethecake.com/wedding/portfolio1.html

I ordered from this shop, and I just asked for one of their regular six-inch cakes finished as a wedding cake. They were very accomodating. They charged the regular six-inch cake price ($25) and did not charge extra for flowers or swiss dots, which is really not that much additional anyway.

If you order multiple-tiers or fondant, I would think maybe around $150. Just guessing, plus they will charge for delivery. You might call the place. If it is a smaller shop, they may not check their e-mail for days.

I am somewhat picky about my cakes. I lived in a town that had a french bakery for a while, and it was heaven to me. Light, airy, and interesting cakes. Very different from the bakeries where I grew up. To me, the cake I ordered was of the same quality, so that was what was most important to me. For us, it also had to be a small cake too because, well, we like our cake and would have eaten the whole thing in short order!!

Does your DH know you are doing this? I'm wondering if that's why you want to have it delivered? It's a very sweet idea!!

ETA: Also, if you do call around, you might say you want to order a cake and describe how you want to have it finished, rather than referring to it outright as a wedding cake. It is my impression that businesses tend to automatically upcharge when they hear the term "wedding". Let us know what you wind up doing!!

CaliCushion

Shiny_Rock
Radiant, the price is really just going to depend upon where you order from, and prices where you live. Definetly call a few places for prices, and DO NOT say th cake is for a wedding.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Well we are spending our 3 day weekend at Ocean City MD. Not that great, but it is still different than sitting at home. Husband does NOT know about this and I want it to be surprise. When I called around and believe me, I did, my first question was if they delivered to Ocean City. Most did not so then I did my search for inside Ocean City. This is the only one that actually does sweets for people instead of companies. I am thinking I am going to be happy with it. There are reviews and people said that they were pleased with what they got. I am getting really frustrated that I have not heard from this guy yet! I don''t want to make a pest of myself so if I have not heard from him by Monday I will call again.

I am so excited to pick it out and order it especially since DH does not know about it. I am planning to take my camera so when I get back I will post pics. I hope I get idea pics from the place so you guys can help me pick a theme for the cake. I want to keep it traditional, but at the same time we are going to be at the beach so I wonder if I should incorporate that. My Goodness. It is a good thing I didn''t have a wedding. Look how much I am rolling this around in my head and it is just a cake!

Still_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, so you''re clearly NOT in my neck-of-the-woods, but, check these babies out. So, so adorable! They make these to go on top of cupcakes, but you could totally just get the mini-cakes. For a tiered cake with a 6" and a 4" they cost around $95-130. Not cheap, but SO cute! Bakery Bar, Portland, OR.

bakerybar1.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is one of the cutest ideas I''ve ever heard.

Since my DH ate the top layer of our wedding cake *by himself* shortly after our wedding, I totally plan on stealing this idea for our second anniversary, ifyoudon''tmind!

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Are those topper things cake? If so, that is almost exactly what I am looking for! Thanks for your help so far.

I don''t mind if steal the idea. Its just an idea not a patent. lol We might start a new trend! 1st anniversary wedding cakes.

I have seen some pictures online. I will see if I can track them down again and post. I am ok with spending up to $300. Of course if I can do it for less I surely will.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
I think you could go to almost any bakery that does wedding cakes and have them make what you''re describing. The trick is just communicating what it is you want. I JUST got home from picking up our 6" anniversary cake from the bakery. We chose not to order an extra tier to put in the freezer last year, because 1) our freezer was pretty packed already, and 2) year-old cake just didn''t sound too appetizing to us. So, we planned from the beginning to have a second cake made by the same woman. It''s the same flavor/filling and I had her decorate it the same way - it''s essentially a duplicate of our original top tier. Can''t wait to dig into it tomorrow after dinner - our baker makes some GOOOOOOOOD cake.
9.gif

Oh, and for reference, she charged us $35. It''s a 6" single tier with multiple layers of cake/filling, decorated exactly like our wedding cake in buttercream icing.

I can''t believe how quickly the first year flew by...

pan_manda

Rough_Rock
Radiant, I don''t know if this is too late, but I live just a few minutes north of OC and our wedding will be in OC this fall. I would recommend calling Sweet Disposition in Williamsville, DE. They are doing our cake and delivering to OC... their cakes are SOOOO delicious and Karen is incredibly accomodating.

Here''s a link to their site!!

I hope you find something you are happy with and have a great weekend here... it is definitely coming up on the best time of the year around here!!

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I got it from Desserts by Rita. I was totally happy with it. I am waiting for my new laptop to arrive and as soon as it does I will post pics of the cake. (I cant upload on my work computer) It cost about $50 total. It was two layers with flowers on top a beautiful icing design buttercream. She delivered it to our room in OC. I could not have been any happier with it. Not only was it beautiful it was also delicious.

pan-yes, you were late, but that''s ok. I appreciate your post all the same.

pan_manda

Rough_Rock
Oooooh their cakes are delicious too!! I''m so glad it worked out for you
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results