shape
carat
color
clarity

POST DESTINATION WEDDING INVITE WORDING.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

OMG

Rough_Rock
Hey Everyone,

Quick background:

We are getting married in Jamaica in April - only 10 people coming - just immidiate family.
We are going to have a dinner reception in May with about 50 people.

I am in desperate need of help with the invite wording for the reception. We MUST get the point across that we have already been married and that the reception is a celebration of that. My invites and reception are going to be formal.

PLEASE HELP!!! I have to get these out soon (I have DIY from Michaels) - and have NO idea where to begin.

Thanks!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a tough situation because it''s uncommon to have formal invites for a post-wedding celebration, but I''ll me give it a try!

What about:

In celebration of their recent marriage
Mr. and Mrs. Hisfirst Hismiddle Yourlast
Request the pleasure of your company
Saturday, the seventeenth of June
Two thousand and nine
at six o''clock
Fancy Shmancy Locale
Chicago, Illinois

katamari

Ideal_Rock
We are doing a later reception, too. We are still working on our wording and are sending more postcard-ish invites. We are teetering between something cutesy (try to search for honey''s, I think she had a great poem) and something simple. Here is the current draft of our simpler version (and note we are purposefully trying to go away from traditional wording since this is not traditional).

Please join Kat''s parents
along with Kataguy''s parents
for a celebration of
Kat and Kataguy''s marriage
over dinner and drinks.

The merriment begins at 5 o''clock
September ??, 2009
at Kataguy''s parents''.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Wait...is this invite going out before you''re married or after? If it''s before, it would be proper to send an announcement and a reception enclosure (but since you''re DIYing, I think it would look fine to just combine the two on an invite).

So, something like this:

OMG
and
OMG FI
will be married
on the first of April
two thousand nine
in Gorgeous Location, Jamaica

The honor of your presence is requested
for a celebratory reception
on the first of May
two thousand nine
at five o''clock in the evening
Fancy Schmancy Recpetion Spot
Chicago, Illinois

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 11:54:11 AM
Author: Elmorton
Wait...is this invite going out before you''re married or after? If it''s before, it would be proper to send an announcement and a reception enclosure (but since you''re DIYing, I think it would look fine to just combine the two on an invite).

So, something like this:

OMG
and
OMG FI
will be married
on the first of April
two thousand nine

on the first of May
two thousand nine
Chicago, Illinois
I like your wording, but I''d be worried that it would open up for people to think they were invited to the wedding!!! Maybe don''t put the location?

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 12:15:35 PM
Author: EricaR
Date: 2/11/2009 11:54:11 AM

Author: Elmorton

So, something like this:

OMG

and

OMG FI

will be married

on the first of April

two thousand nine

on the first of May

two thousand nine

Chicago, Illinois

I like your wording, but I''d be worried that it would open up for people to think they were invited to the wedding!!! Maybe don''t put the location?

Ditto, I think some people could get confused, might need to make it more clear that you are getting married in private.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I believe that the location should be listed so that it doesn''t look like you were married locally and the guest simply wasn''t invited. That''s how the invites have read to the post-destination wedding receptions that I''ve received.

I just hesitate using the wording "recent marriage" when technically, the folks won''t be married yet when the guest receives the invite - but Haven''s suggestion is what several websites suggest for destination weddings, so that''s what I would go with if I were the OP and was worried that people would get the wrong idea.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn''t even consider the timing, it makes sense that the invite shouldn''t say "recent marriage" if they are not yet married when the invites go out.

AAAAAH, there''s another issue, now that I think of it: If you are not married when you send the invites out, I''m not sure it''s proper to use "Mr. and Mrs. Hisfirst Hismiddle Yourlast" on the invite.

I would like to remove my suggestion, it is not usable. You won''t be married when you send them out.

I like El''s wording the best. If I were doing this, I''d use that wording.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
And, I agree with El that the location should be listed so guest''s don''t feel as if they were snubbed from a local ceremony.

If they think they''re invited to the DW, they''ll call for more specific information. At that point, you can tell them that you are having a private ceremony. But really, I would not think I was invited to the DW from that invitation.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How many weeks between your DW and reception? Since it''s small at 50, I would have a friend mail them while you are in Jamaica, so you can do the Mr. & Mrs. and the date of your wedding, which of course would be after the time guests got invitations. It should be quite clear you are already married at that point.

Structenggirl

Rough_Rock
We're getting married in Hawaii at the end of March and are having an at home reception in May. We're mailing announcements/invitations from Hawaii after the wedding.

They say something along the lines of:

Mr and Mrs my parents
are pleased to announce the wedding
of me
to
fi
son of his parents
on Friday, March 27, 2009
Kauai Island, Hawaii

Please join us
for a wedding celebration
on Saturday, May 16, 2009
at twelve o'clock in the afternoon
This way it's gone out after the wedding, they know it wasn't local and they know they are only invited to the party in May.

Would it work for you to send the announcement/invite from Jamaica as a previous person suggested?

OMG

Rough_Rock
Elmorton, I LOVE this idea - and think I will use this one for my invites.

Thanks everyone soo much for taking the time to help me out. I really appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results