shape
carat
color
clarity

Possible Rehearsal Dinner Dress

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RoseAngel04

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.dillards.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=301&langId=-1&storeId=301&productId=501171351&view=20&No=60&N=1601734&searchUrl=%2Fendeca%2FEndecaStartServlet%3Fview%3D20%26No%3D60%26N%3D1601734&R=JDO004

While shopping for an Easter dress today I saw this dress and thought it would be super cute for our RH. I wanted a dress that was white or cream since I am the BRIDE!! hehe.... What do ya''ll think of it? It had a snag on a part of the chest area so I didn''t buy it and I''m still considering other options. Our dinner after the rehearsal isn''t very formal so do you think this dress would still be appropriate??

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s beautiful, but in my opinion too sexy (very low cut, and very short dress) for a rehearsal dinner. Maybe I''m getting too old. LOL!!! It is a cute dress though.

RoseAngel04

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for your honesty fire.

The shortness isn't a problem for me. I'm approx 5'1, so the dress comes to around my knees (not too short IMO). As for the low cut part, I see where you're coming from, but I am a younger bride. We shall see. I'm still want to look around a little.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the dress comes to your knees, that''s not as ''sexy'' as I was imagining...it comes mid thigh on the model!!!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, I don''t like it at all for a rehearsal dinner; it looks like the nightie ypu''re wearing for the honeymoon is being previewed at the RD.
4.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
It might be cute with a little black cashmere shrug or shrunken cardigan, and a lower heeled shoe, maybe a kitten heel or even a pretty ballet flat. Otherwise I think it looks too slip like for the night.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Rose, judging by the picture of it on the model, I''m going to have to agree with FireGoddess that it''s too sexy for the rehearsal dinner. I think it''s really cute for going out, but not so much for the rehearsal/rehearsal dinner. Maybe it looks totally different on you than the model though. Do you have pics of it on you?

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
It''s cute, but you can definately do better. I think it seems a bit more freshman-in-college-rishing-a-sorority than rehersal dinner.

You have great taste though--I''m sure when you find it, you won''t just "think" it''ll make a good dress; you''ll know.

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
i think its beautiful...but imho not for a rd. wear it to dinner on your honeymoon

basil

Brilliant_Rock
I agree. I think the shape is cute, but the lace makes it look too lingerie-ish.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2007 8:49:03 PM
Author: basil
I agree. I think the shape is cute, but the lace makes it look too lingerie-ish.
Ditto, but great to wear on your honeymoon.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the others.

I realize you didn''t ask, but I love looking on Whitehouseblackmarket.com for my RD possibliities and I saw this one that has similar attributes :)

whbm black w white stripe.jpg

peridot83

Shiny_Rock
This dress has made me emerge from lurkdom! Being a petite girl myself (5''1" on a good day with big hair), I think that your Dillard''s dress MAY look exactly like the dress So_Happy suggested in terms of length. I have worn shirts/sweaters that were so long on me that they went to mid-thigh! So the only problem with the dress is that it is low cut. I imagine its especially low cut, since it comes with a built in bra.

There are two factors to consider:
1. Depending on how "trim" your figure is the dress will become scandalous or be perfectly acceptable. It also depends on how well the dress is put together/how the material looks. If the lace/dress looks cheap, then everything will become very tacky. Also, how does the built-in/shelf bra look?

2. I''m in LA for the time being, and these slip/babydoll type dresses were/are very in at the moment and are EVERYWHERE. My family is also from a major metropolitan area and are not very conservative. Therefore due to tons of exposure, no one would have a problem with this dress. However, I can imagine some of my friends families throwing a fit...so it all depends.

I think this dress is incredibly cute, as long as the above concerns are justified. Depending on the jewelry, shoes, make-up, I think you can come up with a very classy way to wear the dress.

RoseAngel04

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for your opinions.

Robbie: Nope, didn''t take any pics today unfortunately.

As for the general consensus that it looks lingerieish, I really didn''t get that feel in person. I am not a scandalous dresser by any means, and felt pretty comfortable in the dress. My only concern was it being too dressy for a non-formal dinner. The top part is a little low, but I''m not a full on top gal, so it doesn''t look obscene at all. The rest of the dress fits like any other dress would, not tight at all. Not incredibly loose either, but just right. I do understand where ya''ll are coming from in looking at the pic, but also think it looks much different in person (at least on me). I''m still in the early stages of browsing and will use my own judgment in choosing the dress. I don''t want any of our RD guests thinking that the bride (me) looks like she''s prancing around in lingerie! How silly.

So_happy: I really like a lot of dresses from the white/black store, but most don''t look right on me. Around December they had a dress sim to the style of the one I found today but was strapless and had black lace around the bodice. When I went to try it on in the store it looked like a potato sack on me!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it''s a really cute dress, but definitely on the sexy/racy side. Some things you may want to consider when finding a dress for your RD are that you''ll most likely be visiting tables where your guests/friends/family are seated, doing lots of leaning over or bending down, etc. and you may not realize that the dress may be a whole lot more revealing during those types of actions that when you try it on at home and are standing up straight in front of the mirror. Also, watch out for sheer fabrics even if they are layered; I wore dressy pants and one of those Sweetpea sheer layered tops to mine not thinking twice about it, but when I received pics back from relatives you could see even my nude-colored lace bra through the shirt!
6.gif
Even a young bride who can pull off young styles easily may look back at pics years later and wonder what she was thinking...I''m proof of that.

In this case, if you choose to wear this dress I would consider the advice of DF who mentioned maybe wearing a black shrug or cropped cardigan so you at least have some shoulder coverage. And do lots of bending over/down in your mirror to see how the dress falls or if you''re potentially revealing anything you wouldn''t otherwise be aware of.

RoseAngel04

Brilliant_Rock
good advice monarch! def something to consider

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it looks a little like lingerie, but very lovely though.

peridot83

Shiny_Rock
I don''t know if there is a Nordstrom''s near you, but there are tons of dresses right now on their website that fit the profile you are looking for. You can search under casual & special occasion for white dresses. I''m pretty sure you can order online, and return to the store (I assumed your budget is around or under $100). Their website (or my internet) is rather slow, so I don''t know if these links will work! Some that I particularly liked:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2920565/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6008989?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6008989&P=3

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2887684/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6008989?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6008989&P=2

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2916158/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6008989?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6008989&P=1

Here''s a Macy''s Dress that is white on top, but the rest is black. It has empire waist, and I think is cute (may be too formal):

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=229669&CategoryID=26909

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2007 7:10:44 PM
Author: isaku5
Sorry, I don''t like it at all for a rehearsal dinner; it looks like the nightie ypu''re wearing for the honeymoon is being previewed at the RD.
4.gif
My heartfelt apology is in order here. I sounded relly harsh (bordering closely on rude) when I offered that response
8.gif
. Maybe I''m showing my age more than I should. Our daughter has been married twice so two rehearsal dinners were held. Both times she wore a cocktail type dress which she chose and both were beautiful. Our DIL also chose a cocktail dress for the rehearsal dinner and it too was lovely.

Please accept my sincere apology for a response that was poorly written, and definitely not intended to offend
35.gif
You know your style; choose what you love and wear it proudly.

RoseAngel04

Brilliant_Rock
I was looking through the catalogue white house black market sent me recently and found several different dresses that I love on the model. I''ll have to go in the store to see how they look on me!

I really like this one! And the color combo matches our wedding colors...black and white!

rhdress.jpg

RoseAngel04

Brilliant_Rock
here''s the back for dress #1.
19.gif

rhback.jpg

RoseAngel04

Brilliant_Rock
here''s another all white one I thought looked cute. I think I like the first one better though.

rhdrss.jpg

RoseAngel04

Brilliant_Rock
back of dress #2

backrh.jpg

RoseAngel04

Brilliant_Rock
This lace dress caught my eye! So pretty. I would really like something that is mainly white, but this one is very nice.

rhlace.jpg

RoseAngel04

Brilliant_Rock
back detail

so ladies tell me what you think! These dresses do have a classier sense to them, which I really like.

rhlaceback.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2007 6:06:17 PM
Author: RoseAngel04
I was looking through the catalogue white house black market sent me recently and found several different dresses that I love on the model. I''ll have to go in the store to see how they look on me!

I really like this one! And the color combo matches our wedding colors...black and white!
I love this one!!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like both of them...the black lace one and the black and white one...

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE the 1st WH/BM dress you posted!!!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2007 6:06:17 PM
Author: RoseAngel04

I love this one!!!!! Out of the ones that have been posted, this is my favorite.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really LOVE WH/BH''s dresses and wore a cream one for my own RD. I love the white and black one and understand why you want to wear white but you will get more wear out of the black one. I don''t know if that is important to you but something to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results