shape
carat
color
clarity

Poor spelling/grammar on vendor sites...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m an editor by trade, so when reading menus, websites, newspapers, etc., my eyes are always drawn to errors. I visited a vendor''s website recently and noticed that there were some issues with the verbiage on the site. There were some glaring errors (like using "carat" instead of "karat" when referring to gold") on the page. This vendor is legit, but I think the page design is somewhat home grown. If I owned the business I would want to know about problems like that because it reflects badly on the company. I''m really tempted to send them an email offering my editorial services for their website. I guess this is sort of like the reverse of Gypsy''s situation. I don''t think I''d charge for the service though because I think it would be a really fun project! What are your thoughts?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Carat instead of Karat? Wow, honestly, a mistake like that would entirely turn me off to ordering from them! That''s the type of error I see on eBay when someone is selling I3 diamonds.

Yes, offer your services! They clearly need your help.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know, right? Those were my thoughts exactly!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
It is a complete turn off
14.gif

I am job hunting at the moment and I am surprised the amounts of times I have seen ''advise'' used instead of ''advice'' or vice versa.
38.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, I''m going to email the vendor. Hopefully they take the email well...

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I am interested to hear how it pans out as I have often thought of doing this myself. Please report back.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
What bothers me even more (but a similar situation) is when I''m watching CNN or something and the titles/descriptions along the bottom of the screen have typos in them. I don''t mean the ''closed captioning'' because that''s another horror, but just the usual stuff like a person''s title in the WH administration, or military rank, etc.

ok, so now I''m getting paranoid at the thought there''s a typo in my post!!
6.gif

LS

RedHighHeels

Rough_Rock
I received a magazine the other day that was advertising a big promotion and the word check was spelled chcek. This misspelling was on page 1.
It does make you wonder who is proof-reading the material.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s bad everywhere. Unfortunately the proofreading dept of most publications is very small and usually staffed with jr. team members like interns. It''s sad.

The Boston Globe is notorious for being poorly PR. I used to sit with it every morning while commuting and circle the errors. It was like my own version of a word puzzle!

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 3:18:15 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
It''s bad everywhere. Unfortunately the proofreading dept of most publications is very small and usually staffed with jr. team members like interns. It''s sad.

The Boston Globe is notorious for being poorly PR. I used to sit with it every morning while commuting and circle the errors. It was like my own version of a word puzzle!
hehe. That is too funny!

I''ve never noticed on vendor sites, but it does bother me in e-mails, etc. I''m not the *best* at grammar, but I tend to correct my family or BF without even realizing it. Now they do it to me.
20.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Why is this happening? Used to be you''d NEVER see a spelling error in a major newspaper. Now it''s happening all the time. And websites....don''t get me started!

I have to say that the ''closed captioning'' person drives me nuts. Can''t they hire someone who can spell??? GRRRRRRR
38.gif

LS

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I notice things that are misspelled, my eyes keep going back to it and it drives me bonkers. I saw a display tag in Scheel''s spelled "Prediter" and that was like chewing on tinfoil. I found a piece of paper and wrote "Predator" and stuck it over the tag.

Have you heard anything from the vendor yet?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 5:28:08 PM
Author: LostSapphire
Why is this happening? Used to be you''d NEVER see a spelling error in a major newspaper. Now it''s happening all the time. And websites....don''t get me started!

I have to say that the ''closed captioning'' person drives me nuts. Can''t they hire someone who can spell??? GRRRRRRR
38.gif

LS
Not sure if cause & effect, but one can only guess. These are trying times for papers. The 150 year old Denver paper just folded. I hear SF Chronicle is not far behind. Not sure the status of Chicago Tribune, but they''re in bankruptcy. It really is awful...since these contribute so much to society.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results