shape
carat
color
clarity

Poor man blues...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TheDr

Rough_Rock
Ok so I have decided it is time to purchase a ring but I'm not the richest man in the world, by far, but I have been saving my pennies and I have about $2500 saved up. Now I know that's not a lot in the diamond business but what can I do right. I have been searching diamonds online from this site, and also Shane Company and Blue Nile. With my limited funds I have decided my budget for the diamond is about $1800 and the rest will go to the setting. I would love to get my girlfriend a 1 ct ring but that's not going to happen, so what I need your opinions on is should I go for something smaller like this or am I better off going for something like this to squeeze a little more size out of my budget?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The princess from JA is NOT attractive. You could pick a better one?

brooklyngirl

Brilliant_Rock

phildominator

Rough_Rock
Must be a Princess Cut?

Here are nice H&A rounds...
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4692/
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4681/

A larger round, non H&A pattern, but shows respectable light leakage.
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5483/

Closer to a Princess Cut...
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/1419/
P.S. - if you bank wire the money, I''m sure they''ll decrease, not increase, the selling price.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
I think .70 is a lovely size! The stone that Strmdr and brooklyngirl picked out looks pretty. Call Good Old Gold tomorrow if you're interested and see if it's eye clean. Good Old Gold also has a fantastic upgrade policy, so you'll have the option of working your way towards the carat weight that you're after over time.

Savvymon

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 12:28:46 AM
Author: pixley
I think .70 is a lovely size! The stone that Strmdr and brooklyngirl picked out looks pretty. Call Good Old Gold tomorrow if you''re interested and see if it''s eye clean. Good Old Gold also has a fantastic upgrade policy, so you''ll have the option of working your way towards the carat weight that you''re after over time.
I agree, both of these are very nice!

9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto, pass on that JA diamond, the others have found you some lovely diamonds you could consider!

TheDr

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the input!!! I felt the JA was a bit oddly shaped, but was trying to get a decent size. I will check on the gog diamond.

As for princess yes it must be princess because she likes the square cut. Radiant would also work but they seem to be even pricier.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2009 8:10:44 AM
Author: TheDr
Thanks for all the input!!! I felt the JA was a bit oddly shaped, but was trying to get a decent size. I will check on the gog diamond.

As for princess yes it must be princess because she likes the square cut. Radiant would also work but they seem to be even pricier.
Whatever you pick, it is cut quality which will get you a pretty diamond so most important to concentrate on that.

TheDr

Rough_Rock
My next question would have to do with the setting. Is it better to get it all at one place or does it really matter?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it is better to get it set at the same place they have the diamond. That GOG diamond is really
pretty. Put it in a simple solitare setting and you'll have a beautiful ring. Lots of bang for your buck!
36.gif

(you can have it sent to another vendor to have it set but if you are just going with a simple solitare
setting, I dont really see the need for it)

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 8:46:57 AM
My next question would have to do with the setting. Is it better to get it all at one place or does it really matter?

Yes it is best because your stone is covered for damages while setting if the person you bought the stone of sets the stone :).

GOG has lovely settings you should be able to find something lovely in your budget :D.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2009 9:05:10 AM
Author: Deelight

Yes it is best because your stone is covered for damages while setting if the person you bought the stone of sets the stone :).

GOG has lovely settings you should be able to find something lovely in your budget :D.
Ditto

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 10:07:03 AM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 3/3/2009 9:05:10 AM

Author: Deelight

Ditto

Thritto.

The team at GOG are amazing, if you call them up they will email you as many pictures as you want of whatever you want. They are very friendly and personable.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
TheDr you will get a gorgeous ring working with GOG! Your fiancee will be thrilled. These ladies and gents have pointed you in a great direction. Don''t forget to come back to us with photos once the ring is all done!

TheDr

Rough_Rock
Will do, they have sent me a site to check for a setting i like and Marie said that the imperfection in the stone is barely noticeable with the loupe and not noticeable with the eye at all. So now I have to get my gf to pick out some settings she likes and then I will be back with a photo for all to see.

Thanks so much everyone for all your help and input!!!
36.gif

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
That''s fantastic! It''s going to be gorgeous!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like you''re headed in the right direction. congrats!!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I''m not trying to disuade you, but I wouldn''t want you to be surprised after you buy the stone.

Princess cuts will look smaller than round diamonds. A .70 princess will look a lot like a .50 round.

DentD

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 10:53:10 PM
Author:TheDr
Ok so I have decided it is time to purchase a ring but I''m not the richest man in the world, by far, but I have been saving my pennies and I have about $2500 saved up. Now I know that''s not a lot in the diamond business but what can I do right.

$2500 is nothing to sneeze at. The PS regulars have given some great advice, as long as you make cut your top priority I don''t think you have anything to worry about, regardless of how much you can afford. I think your girl will appreciate you saving what you can instead of starting out life by going into debt just to propose.

Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results