shape
carat
color
clarity

Poor craftsman ship from Whiteflash on custom engagement ring

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My great aunt wore her platinum ER, wedding and eternity ring all the time. She was notoriously careless, and even when I inherited her ER, by which time it was probably 70 years old, it was still in perfect shape. I think @distracts is right about it being less sturdy because of the pave, because my aunt’s wasn’t and was less than 2mm wide.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A friend has this on a solid platinum shank. Every 6-12mo she has to take it in to get it shaped. She wears her rings regularly, but I wouldn’t describe her as hard on her rings. I’ve never experienced this so it is curious about why and how it happens to some and not others.

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t think normal wear and tear should cause the bent. I wore my ER 24/7 for 8yrs, rarely taking it off include sleeping and its fine. Many people wore pave platinum ER and it rarely bent within 6 months, so I don’t think normal wear is the cause of the bent. It might be because the craftsmanship because it got bent too quick… How many people have that problem with a extremely well made ring within 6months?
I don’t think fixing the same ring would fix the problem. Will they fix this ring or making you a brand new ring?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think normal wear and tear should cause the bent. I wore my ER 24/7 for 8yrs, rarely taking it off include sleeping and its fine. Many people wore pave platinum ER and it rarely bent within 6 months, so I don’t think normal wear is the cause of the bent. It might be because the craftsmanship because it got bent too quick… How many people have that problem with a extremely well made ring within 6months?
I don’t think fixing the same ring would fix the problem. Will they fix this ring or making you a brand new ring?

I don’t think everyone’s “normal wear and tear” are the same. I wish there was a more scientific way to quantify and measure and compare “wear and tear”. Some people grip things harder than others.

@distracts asked about the putting on and taking off of gloves regularly. Dear OP, not sure if this applies. I’m imagining snug latex gloves being put on and pulled off multiple times a day, being yanked over a protruding ring head. Makes me wonder.

I’m just thinking because even if they remade it and it happens again, that’s not a solution. But who knows. Maybe WF needs to just to test it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter had the same thing happen last week. She has a vague recollection of maybe hitting her rings on the door knob when she grabbed it or something, but she didn't realize it at the time. She wears two wedding bands with stones and the engagement ring on top. The ring that went out of round was the middle ring! But it has stones all the way around and there are tiny connection points between the bezels that hold each stone. So it was the weakest of the three rings.

I don't recommend wearing any fine jewelry especially with diamonds or other gemstones 24/7. It just increases the likelihood that things like this will happen. You can actually shatter your diamond if you accidentally hit the ring just so. But it certainly would be better if the shank didn't have diamonds in it.

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
I wonder as well if there could be any porosity issue with the shank. I presume WF rings are mainly cast, so it's possible that once in a while a ring with some underlying internal porosity issues may slip through, especially since platinum can be trickier to cast perfectly compared to high carat gold (that's what I've heard from some industry professionals, I'm ready to be corrected if that's inaccurate though). I guess that'll be checked when the ring is sent back for inspection and straightening? And if the metal turns out to be all structurally sound then it could be that the pave isn't an ideal match for the level of wear...please do keep us posted!

idaoo

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the comments and helpful insights. I will be sending it in later this week and WF said they will have their production team take a look. I will update how it goes. As some mentioned maybe I just cannot wear a pave ring or this particular ring may be weaker than most. We shall see! Thank you all.

acezarra

Shiny_Rock
I have had this happen on multiple rings. I wear my rings all the time (except at the gym). I even once lost a diamond by clapping excitedly at a concert. I have learned that even though I didn't think I was hard on my jewelry, I am. I love pave and delicate settings, unfortunately they just aren't for me. Lesley at BGD was kind enough to be upfront about which settings would and wouldn't work for me. With her help I found multiple settings that I have loved and stand up to my daily wear.

scarlettzzhang

Rough_Rock
I just replied to another thread. My ring from WF is also not symmetrical in terms of prongs (this is after they did a fix for my prongs being chunky at first). Is that not expected from a ring tho? 7AF87182-6871-49B6-8B16-8D02FBE82FA4.png I thought all rings have some asymmetric characteristics, so I didn’t even bother asking them to redo the third time… Now I wonder, do other people have their rings completely symmetrical??

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
There is some very slight asymmetry in the head of my ring but nothing that I feel compelled to have fixed. I think sometimes its better for us if we don't obsess over every single minute detail although I understand that for many people who frequent this forum that is just their natural tendency, myself included.

idaoo

Rough_Rock
Late update (life got in the way)

i got a reply from WF,

“A decision has been made to completely remake the shank of the ring at no cost to you. We will use a harder alloy (Platinum 950 with Ruthenium) in addition to making the shank solid, without azures”

any opinions by experts on this development would be appreciated. I must say though WF customer service is excellent. Their great support has made this bumpy journey much more bearable.

valenledge

Shiny_Rock
update from WF. Finished production of new ring and received photos. Seems good atleast in these limited photos. What do yall think.

1259417A-B7FE-4DDD-892B-2B3F6E3A9177.jpeg 36364EA1-4224-4CF0-9984-DE51E428A7B0.jpeg EC943E8C-055F-434C-80C3-BB7665D16487.jpeg

This is really pretty and looks symmetrical. Did I miss an update where they said they would add a donut or maybe my eyes are deceiving me from earlier photos. I’ve always heard a donut can help with security!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks good! The prong tips look nice and hopefully the stronger alloy and lack of azures will help the shank maintain its shape. I'd still be very careful with any pave ring and take it off when doing anything that could damage it. For example, I was recently cleaning out my pantry and kitchen cabinets and putting things into boxes to donate, etc. That was a no-jewelry kind of job because I would be grasping things and moving boxes around. I never cook or load the dishwasher with my rings on, etc. I am sure people have likely said those things earlier in the thread. Hopefully you can now wear and enjoy your ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results