• Total voters

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you have your wisdom teeth removed?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. During dead week (the week before finals week) my sophomore year of college. One or two had to be removed, and I decided to just get all four done because I would soon be aging out of my parents' dental insurance. The dentist had to take care of a drop-in emergency in the middle of the excision, and as a result the Novocain was wearing off by the time he got to the last tooth. But the recovery was trouble-free and didn't interfere with my finals, so it ended well!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Yes, my 2 teens has theirs out too. All 3 of us had wisdom teeth that would have grown right into our back molars and damaged our teeth if left alone.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I had one that was coming through in a weird position and in those days they just took all 4 out if you had any problems! Had a general anaesthetic though......

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I have 2 out of 4 of mine left. Had them removed when it was necessary and not at the same time. My kids had all of theirs removed soon after they came in.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had mine removed due to impaction when I was 21. It was quite invasive surgery due to the roots growing into my jawbone & hooking underneath the nerves, a bit like an umbrella handle, so it involved having to remove a little bit of bone to "un-hook" the roots & a wired jaw for a few weeks afterwards. Yuk!

They are not generally removed here in the UK unless their is a problem. My husband has all of his, as do my 3 siblings. My mother had to have 2 of hers removed.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I held on to all 4 of mine until adulthood due to issues with them, otherwise I would not have had them removed.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes at a few different times I had them all removed. I think they were all removed. Hmm I guess the wisdom I had was also removed because now I cannot remember for sure how many were taken out. :lol:

It was not that painful. And one of them was impacted so it was a challenging (for the oral surgeon) removal. The worst part of it was the needle to numb me. That hurt. But it wasn't bad as far as other things I have experienced and if you have to do it don't be scared. My swelling lasted a long time and I was a bit black and blue for a while but I bruise very easily. Just get a good oral surgeon and you will be OK. Good luck!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I had all of mine out when I was 15. It's funny, I remember telling my mom they were coming in and bothering me, and she said I was too young. I asked the dentist and my cleaning and he took an X-ray. Sure enough, there they were. Each one was coming in a different direction, so they had to come out.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I went to my dentist a couple of years ago and after doing routine x-rays she said that I should have my wisdom teeth removed. When I asked why (because they have never caused me any issues) she said that they could potentially cause problems and it would be a "preventative" measure. Are you kidding me :confused: Like I'm going to volunteer to have my wisdom teeth pulled because they "might" cause me problems some day :rolleyes: I'm 40-something years-old and the only way I'm having my wisdom teeth yanked out is if they actually cause problems.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I had the two on my left side removed during college. The bottom left was impacted, and the oral surgeon said that it's best to also remove the top because there is no tooth to support it. I removed the ones on my right side 4 years ago because it was hard to floss behind them, and I was having gum issues.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had two removed because they were affecting or had the potential to affect other teeth (movement). The other two are impacted and facing forward but remain because they will not affect my other teeth.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, when I was a Junior in High School. They'd not come thru yet, but I didn't have room for them, so I had to have them surgically removed.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had the upper left removed because there was some major work to be done to the tooth in front of it and there was no other practical way to make that happen. Then the lower right started growing up more because there was nothing opposing it (I had no idea your wisdom teeth keep growing if nothing stops them!) so that one had to go too. The two on the right are still there, but I fear that little bit of wisdom I have left might go away some day too as my dentist has already told me wisdom teeth are hard to keep well cleaned since they are so far back, and he won't fill a wisdom too if a cavity emerges. So I have that to look forward to... yikes.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had mine removed c. age 20 while overseas in the military.
They knocked me completely out with general anesthesia.
I guess that's good because one of them had to be sawed in half to get it out.
I can't imagine hearing that! :knockout:

After the surgery they gave them to me, which I think they no longer do.
I still have them around here somewhere.
If I ever get an ear pierced they'd make awesome earrings.

I was suprised to learn many of us do not get wisdom teeth.
While most of us have anywhere from one to four third molars growing in those narrow gaps at the back of our mouths, a lucky 35 percent of Americans are born without any wisdom teeth at all.

http://www.angieslist.com/articles/6-important-wisdom-teeth-questions-answered.htm

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1454510323|3986159 said:
I went to my dentist a couple of years ago and after doing routine x-rays she said that I should have my wisdom teeth removed. When I asked why (because they have never caused me any issues) she said that they could potentially cause problems and it would be a "preventative" measure. Are you kidding me :confused: Like I'm going to volunteer to have my wisdom teeth pulled because they "might" cause me problems some day :rolleyes: I'm 40-something years-old and the only way I'm having my wisdom teeth yanked out is if they actually cause problems.
My 21 year old is having his removed on Friday. I was given guilt about not having them done sooner...sigh. The kid has been so busy with accelerated academics and work since High School and he is also chronically ill and was always having medical procedures done during breaks. This was the last thing on our priority list. :blackeye:

We had to watch a video at the oral surgeon's office about wisdom teeth and the removal. The video stated that even if you aren't having any problems, decay can form in your jaw and beneath the gum line where the teeth live. Also, the older you get, the thinner the bones become and the deeper the roots grow, making removal more complicated and risky. This also makes healing worse. The roots can grow into a nerve that runs along the jaw line. You might want to get a consult and have them watch your wisdom teeth carefully to ensure that you aren't having any issues. You also should understand that if any issues arise, the older you get, the more complicated the procedure gets.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. I believe I was 15 or 16. I'd had braces when I was very young and the wisdom teeth were/did mess up my bottom row of teeth. So we got them out before they caused too much damage. I have perfect top teeth and the bottom ones are a bit crooked. Never paid to fix em.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1454519968|3986268 said:
I had mine removed c. age 20 while overseas in the military.
They knocked me completely out with general anesthesia.
I guess that's good because one of them had to be sawed in half to get it out.
I can't imagine hearing that! :knockout:

After the surgery they gave them to me, which I think they no longer do.
I still have them around here somewhere.
If I ever get an ear pierced they'd make awesome earrings.

While most of us have anywhere from one to four third molars growing in those narrow gaps at the back of our mouths, a lucky 35 percent of Americans are born without any wisdom teeth at all.

http://www.angieslist.com/articles/6-important-wisdom-teeth-questions-answered.htm

My mother is one of these, never had wisdom teeth.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock

I wish I had been one of those people. I had two complete sets of wisdom teeth (8 total). It took two separate surgeries to remove them all.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LAJennifer|1454524584|3986338 said:

I wish I had been one of those people. I had two complete sets of wisdom teeth (8 total). It took two separate surgeries to remove them all.
Ever since I had my first tooth, I have not been a stranger to a dental chair. You name it I have had it. $$$$ But somehow I was spared having wisdom teeth. My teeth and bones are crap but I do have good gums...so far.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to thank all of you for your replies. I actually didn't remove mine and am asking BC my 17 year old daughter will have hers removed in June. Knock on wood mine won't need to be removed at this point. It just got me thinking about how some people don't remove and some do. I can't help but panic for her but it seems many if you and your teens survived the experience so I'm sure she'll be fine. Thanks again! I'll continue to read in case others want to share their experience so I can be better informed.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What??!!! You poor thing!!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
House Cat|1454521014|3986282 said:
momhappy|1454510323|3986159 said:
My 21 year old is having his removed on Friday. I was given guilt about not having them done sooner...sigh. The kid has been so busy with accelerated academics and work since High School and he is also chronically ill and was always having medical procedures done during breaks. This was the last thing on our priority list. :blackeye:

We had to watch a video at the oral surgeon's office about wisdom teeth and the removal. The video stated that even if you aren't having any problems, decay can form in your jaw and beneath the gum line where the teeth live. Also, the older you get, the thinner the bones become and the deeper the roots grow, making removal more complicated and risky. This also makes healing worse. The roots can grow into a nerve that runs along the jaw line. You might want to get a consult and have them watch your wisdom teeth carefully to ensure that you aren't having any issues. You also should understand that if any issues arise, the older you get, the more complicated the procedure gets.

I'm sorry, housecat, but it sounds to me like your dentist is using some interesting scare tactics/guilt to encourage the procedure. I prefer a dentist who takes into account my individual risk factors (and I hope that yours is too), which is why I stopped going to the dentist who recommended wisdom teeth extraction for no reason other than a preventative one. I understand the benefits of having it done at a young age, but for me, that wasn't enough to warrant the procedure. I did my research and found a growing amount of evidence to support the fact millions of wisdom teeth are unnecessarily removed each year (I suspect it's an easy money-maker for them). I would not voluntarily have my wisdom teeth removed solely as a preventative measure, but each individual has to make a decision about what is right for them. I would strongly encourage people to do their own research though before making that decision.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
My mom was a dental assistant for over 40 years, so I had all mine out (eventually). I had four fully erupted wisdom teeth--no impaction, no major issues, and I could even chew with them. But I have a small mouth and didn't have a lot of room for them, and they got cavities. I had two out (on one side) at age 20. I got a dry socket in one (seriously: NO STRAWS!) and then was terrified to have the other two out. So I delayed, until age 30, and finally got the second two out. It was a breeze. Day one (right after having the teeth out) was a bit uncomfortable but nothing too bad. By the end of the second day, I wanted a taco salad, and my mom said that, as long as I rinsed afterward, I could eat whatever I wanted. :bigsmile:

Nala, I'm sure your 17-year-old will be fine. Just make sure she/he doesn't use a straw! I liked eating mashed potatoes with butter, yogurt, and ice cream that first day.

momhappy, it's true that some people never have problems with their wisdom teeth. But they are very difficult to clean, so it depends on your hygiene and mouth size to a large extent--I could never really properly brush mine (can't open my jaw enough), and that meant cavities formed pretty quickly. Dentists won't really do fillings in wisdom teeth, so my only option was to have them out. Also, they made $0 by doing both procedures on me, as it was a total write-off when my mom was an employee.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also had 2 sets removed. One in my 20s, the other in my 30's.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Luckily I only had one set. DH had none, lucky bastard!

I had 2 of mine removed in my 20's and the other 2 removed in my 30's. My nephew had all 4 removed when he was 19-20 and my niece who is only 15 just had all 4 removed a few weeks ago. I was so surprised to hear that they had grown in far enough to be removed at age 15! :-o

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had all three of mine out (only had three) when I was in college. They were all impacted.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
rubybeth|1454597882|3986789 said:
My mom was a dental assistant for over 40 years, so I had all mine out (eventually). I had four fully erupted wisdom teeth--no impaction, no major issues, and I could even chew with them. But I have a small mouth and didn't have a lot of room for them, and they got cavities. I had two out (on one side) at age 20. I got a dry socket in one (seriously: NO STRAWS!) and then was terrified to have the other two out. So I delayed, until age 30, and finally got the second two out. It was a breeze. Day one (right after having the teeth out) was a bit uncomfortable but nothing too bad. By the end of the second day, I wanted a taco salad, and my mom said that, as long as I rinsed afterward, I could eat whatever I wanted. :bigsmile:

Nala, I'm sure your 17-year-old will be fine. Just make sure she/he doesn't use a straw! I liked eating mashed potatoes with butter, yogurt, and ice cream that first day.

momhappy, it's true that some people never have problems with their wisdom teeth. But they are very difficult to clean, so it depends on your hygiene and mouth size to a large extent--I could never really properly brush mine (can't open my jaw enough), and that meant cavities formed pretty quickly. Dentists won't really do fillings in wisdom teeth, so my only option was to have them out. Also, they made $0 by doing both procedures on me, as it was a total write-off when my mom was an employee.

I forgot to add that my wisdom teeth are impacted, so cleaning is not an issue. I found that little evidence exists to support removing impacted wisdom teeth that are not causing pain and swelling, aren’t negatively affecting other teeth, and are disease-free, so that's why I have chosen to leave well enough alone.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes. They were all impacted, top and bottom. I have a small jaw, so before that, I had some other incisors or bicuspids or something removed as well. And I still had to get braces to straighten my teeth out. I just had too many teeth for too small of a jaw.
Yay.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results